Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimfro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2018
Maybe someone can help me, and boy do I need it

The Mac will not recognize the graphics card (gtx 980 macvidcards.com)

It doesn’t have functioning operating system and I’m not even getting a boot chime anymore.

I can’t get the optical drive to open to put in an install disk (tried holding delete and left mouse button)

None of the boot commands work such as single-user mode, recovery, option, etc...

Any ideas? What if I install an older more compatible graphics card, will it do anything?

Fooze

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2016
Even with the flashed card from macvidcards you will still need the nvidia driver loaded in macOS prior to installing the card. If you have Remote Desktop set up you could also get in and do it that way.

Reactions: ActionableMango

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Maybe someone can help me, and boy do I need it

The Mac will not recognize the graphics card (gtx 980 macvidcards.com)

It doesn’t have functioning operating system and I’m not even getting a boot chime anymore.

I can’t get the optical drive to open to put in an install disk (tried holding delete and left mouse button)

None of the boot commands work such as single-user mode, recovery, option, etc...

Any ideas? What if I install an older more compatible graphics card, will it do anything?

You didn't tell us What you have done.

The GTX980 from MVC is a for info item? OR you mean it's newly installed?

What's your Mac's config?

Do you mean you just bought a used Mac Pro with no operating system?

We can't help you anything without the required info.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
No boot chime means you're not passing the hardware POST test. This is pretty bad, like the power supply has died or you've shorted something when you inserted the GPU.

I hope you unplugged the computer before you started removing and adding key hardware components, and I hope you didn't zap anything with static.

Nothing about the CD tray, OS, boot screens, or anything else will matter until you pass POST. You will need to check the diagnostic LEDs and behavior against the Service Manual.

But before going down that road, I'd suggest the first step is to put your old GPU back in and see what happens, or no GPU at all would be fine too.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsbeamer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.