Mac Pro placement - Where do you keep yours!?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by anim8or, Mar 1, 2008.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Hello all,

I have been wondering for a while now and thought i would put it the masses...

Where do you keep your mac pro tower?

I have mine on my desk but am going to get another 23" ACD so am contemplating a new arrangement to incorporate the new LCD.....

Where do you keep your and where do you think is best?

Does keeping it low not fill it with dust, etc or is it vice-versa.....

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Mine is on the floor, under the desk. As nice as it is, I wouldn't have that on my desk.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Blasphemy! If there's space in my dorm room, and I highly doubt there will be what with two 24" monitors to deal with, mine's going on whatever desk I use.

4. pprior macrumors 65816

Floor, under desk, can only see the side of it. Pain to reach down and put DVD into the drive, but it's too loud to have up on the desk and my desk is packed full of junk anyway :(

5. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

removed 2 shelves from the left side of my desk - fits my MP perfectly now!

6. seany916 macrumors 6502

under the outer edge of my desk (where the horizontal table overhangs). file underhangs mean I have only 2 feet of legroom width as is.

easy access to the guts (though haven't needed anything yet) and I can see the darn thing.

other workstation is under a desk with the front facing out

desk real estate is a valuable commodity in my office

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I usually keep mine under my desk on a little flat piece of wood to keep it from being directly on the floor, to improve airflow. From time to time I'll put it on top of my desk, but then it overwhelms everything else with it's vastness, and having it under the desk gives me a lot more room on my desk.

8. bigbird macrumors 6502

I have 3 desks pushed together, one at 90 degrees to the other two. At the main center desk where I sit, I have a 24" Dell right in front of me with the MP to its immediate left on the desk. Every time a client comes down to my workspace, they see the MP sitting on the desk and their jaw drops. They're all used to seeing a run-of the-mill PC desktop, not an impressive aluminum MP.

9. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Mine is under the desk on a 2" stand that is on the floor. Keeps it of the carpet. Looks great there. :apple:

10. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i have a relatively smaller desk, i dont like huge clunky big desks, it fits my z5500's & a 30" nicely and thats about it.

my macpro is on the floor with a half inch thick piece of wood from my an older desk i had to keep it off carpet so it doesnt become a central conductive hub. hah.

its nice that it keeps it relatively safe from being on carpet and have static electricty build up around it, but also some carpeting depending on the fabric seems to make my mapcro very wobbly where if i was trying to plug in a usb cable in the front it just would do that quite a bit.

11. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

It was on the desk while I made sure everything was running smoothly. Oof - it was towering over me (ha). After I was sure I wasn't going to have to send it back right away (whew) I managed to squeeze it onto the under-desk shelf I had built for my '02 quicksilver way back when. Works like a charm. When I want to pop a disc in, it's as easy as feeding the pooch a biscuit.:D

Attached Files:

12. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

What impact has that had on the internal temperatures of your Mac?

I was considering doing something similar until I felt the warmth of the wall behind my MP. I could fry an egg on it.

Thanks

13. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Mine's on my desk, three to four feet from me.

[​IMG]

14. mlswanso3470 macrumors newbie

mlswanso3470

Need more foot room!

As much as I would prefer to put my baby on the floor, there just isn't enough foot room under this attached-to-the-wall desk if I did. So, I have to put it up on the desk top (as pictured)... really, I'm not wild about the noise and heat it creates... though it is nice to be able to have it shown off when my door is open.

I <3 Dorms..... *sarcasm*

Attached Files:

15. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

16. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

No impact at all from what I can tell... the fans haven't spun up once yet even when I'm working HD comps in After Effects. There's a good 11.5 inches of clearance back there, though. The case of the Mac Pro is cool to the touch most of the time, and I can feel warmth from the midsection, but it's probably 'cause my hands are cold. ;) And no, I don't typically spend lots of time caressing my Mac, but I've been feeling it to check for heat just because I couldn't believe how quiet it is. I've got a G-RAID2 on the desk to the left of the monitors and its quiet fan is louder than the Mac. I'd take a picture of the clearance behind the Mac for you, but not until I get my cords under control! :D

17. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

mines up on my desk, about a foot and a half from my head, can just barely hear it running.

18. khosna macrumors member

Mine is on the floor although I am looking for something to set it on to keep it off the carpet. It isn't very loud except when the superdrive is active -- then it sounds like a jet taxiing fro a take-off.

19. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Loud? Have you ever owned a G5? I thought my MP was broken because it was so quiet.

20. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

Ya my only worry as to the loudness was the superdrives in it, wow..I thought they could be a bit quieter.

21. termina3 macrumors 65816

I understand wanting to look at the beautiful MP, but how can y'all justify sacrificing all of the desk space?!? I value it as much as desktop "real estate"!

22. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

I sometimes wish I didn't. I never knew about the swoosh swoosh sounds until I started using it., though its not as bad because I never have it on the desk. I still hear it on the floor though.

23. siorai macrumors 6502

Mine's on the floor to the right of my desk. I can basically just see the top of it. Although I do keep an OSX Leopard book, various game discs, and my iPod on top of the Mac Pro. Yes, that's right. It's basically a glorified end table that just happens to be a computing beast. :p

24. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

25. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

In the bathroom, kind of behind the toilet. Long story...