Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Bad Apple. Not to mention there will be a mini-LED version out in June. I wonder if Apple will agree to swap them out past the return policy if there’s an uproar.
If that's true, that changes everything. Again. :mad:

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
If that's true, that changes everything. Again.

If it is true you bought a monitor with a known feature set at a certain price.
If it ain't true you bought a monitor with a known feature set at a certain price.

Don't see much of anything changing.

Reactions: nvmls

sockdoggy

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
Brooklyn
Saw a base model was available and ordered for store pick up. Paired with 2x Dell U2720Q monitors (running at hi-res 2304x1296). The Studio Display looks really well built and gorgeous - but doesn't make sense to replace these monitors yet.

Attachments

• IMG_10341.jpg
    IMG_10341.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 99

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
Speak with your wallets folks and hit them where it counts. I'm a huge apple fan and I spend tons of money on apple devices every year. I'm fortunate to be able to afford a new Studio + Studio Display but I'm not about to spend a penny on this money grab for the display. This display was the worst thought out product I can remember with lack of adjustability/swivel, and price. They removed the computer guts and charge the same amount for just the panel....no matter how bad I want a new setup, I'm not giving apple my money for this garbage.

Had apple offered a display option without speakers and camera for $999, it would be a totally different atmosphere. Two of those along side an upgraded (matching) 27" iMac and apple would have taken approximately $5500-$6000 from me this year. But instead they will get nothing. I know many other 27" iMac users who are boycotting apple this year for the same reason. Maybe that's why you can already pickup a display in the stores?

Back to the drawing board apple, your decision to kill the 27" iMac is going to cost you. People are just going to wait for an upgraded Mac mini and use a 3rd party display.
While I agree with your comments about the display not being what we want, boycotting apple because of a display seems strange. Just don't buy the display.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Now that's a real knee-slapper considering Apple recently released a handful of their computers (and display) with Apple-designed CPUs that offer outstanding performance and untether Intel with their rather anemic roadmap.
And whose idea was it to bring chip design in-house by buying PA Semi for 1/4 the price that Tim paid for beats so that Apple could control its own silicon destiny? Steve Jobs.

Reactions: nvmls

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
I picked up a studio display from a local Apple Store today. I haven't read through this thread but wanted to report that there is already a firmware update out for it. Just run software update on your Mac while connected to the Studio Display, and it should pop up for you. Does it improve the camera? Have not tested FaceTime yet. UPDATE: the picture from the camera is still grainy after this firmware update. Not what I would expect from a display at this price. Many online reviews are noting this and, apparently, upcoming software updates can fix it.

Last edited:

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
So the display isn't quite up to snuff. But the Ultra is amazing. Not only did they bring ports back, they created a machine that will edit and encode like a champ in a small form factor for a price point that makes sense to me. And I can get two great LG 4k monitors for less and I'm all set anyway. Jonny Ive is a brilliant designer, but sacrificing function for form made him a detriment to users for the past decade he was at Apple.
I find it odd that you would criticize Ive’s work while at the same time praising it. After all, the Mac Studio is just a taller version of the Mac mini with just a few more ports.

If you ask me, including aging tech like SD card slots to appease a minority of users just shows they‘re no longer forward thinking and lacks confidence in their vision… or lack thereof. That’s the kind of thing PC manufacturers did. Apple used to lead, even if it meant dragging the rest of the industry with them, like when they dropped floppies, DVD players, ADB ports, etc.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
View attachment 1975841

Both Bristol UK stores had stock of Mac Studios and Displays, for pickup today. I bought my new Studio Display and Magic Keyboard at just after 6am this morning when the stock went live. Collected at 11am. Store was not at all busy and went straight up to the click and collect lady, I was out again in around 10 mins.

Comparison photo against 16" M1 MBP (Pro) and late 2014 27" 5k Retina iMac. For anyone picking up the display today, make sure the car is not too far away as the box that it comes in is quite substantial and the package was heavier than I expected for just a screen.

Really pleased with the display, have not tried the camera yet, but hopefully any issues is a software fix away. Audio is very impressive with spatial sound.
Nice one! Hope you like it.

Quick question: does the Studio Display's box come inside an outer plain box when bought in store? (as per delivered ones.)

Reactions: James_C

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Nice one! Hope you like it.

Quick question: does the Studio Display's box come inside an outer plain box when bought in store? (as per delivered ones.)
No, I picked up in store today and it was just the studio display box with a built in carrying handle. So I thought about people trying to rob me as I left the mall but I made it home safely. :)

Last edited:

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Want two of these displays, but not going to remotely consider buying them until webcam fixed and re-reviewed.

The days of the front facing camera being an afterthought are long past. We live in the age of Zoom and selfies, and Apple knows better.

Maybe it’s true it was actually a last minute bug—which sounds highly dubious. But if it is actually so, then this is the wakeup call that Apple needs and it’s customers have long understood: Apple’s software quality has been subpar for years, typically shipped incomplete and buggy. Just look at Monterey, or the last few iphone releases where hardware advances waited months for the software to enable tentpole hardware features.
"this is the wakeup call that Apple needs". Yeah, unfortunately this merely joins the long list of ridiculous issues in Apple products that should never have made it to production.

Presumably it's a software issue, and not hardware, as the Apple hardware team seems to be killing it lately, while the software team are just.... how on earth do they still have their jobs!

Reactions: BWhaler

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Now that's a real knee-slapper considering Apple recently released a handful of their computers (and display) with Apple-designed CPUs that offer outstanding performance and untether Intel with their rather anemic roadmap.
Yeah nah, the M1 is all Steve Jobs era. They are merely beefed up A-series chips, which is all Steve, of course. And the idea of putting them in Macs was planned when Steve was still around, but got put on hold because Intel were still performing just fine back then, and the transition off x86/x64 is a risky thing to do regarding software compatibility.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
No, I picked up in store today and it was just the studio display box with a built in carrying handle. So I thought about people trying to rob me as I left the mall but I made it home safely. :)
I did that mad dash too :confused:

The box is a logistical nightmare. I only just managed to get it in my junk cupboard and there’s not enough room for much more junk now.

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
The Studio Display is Apple tax in the highest possible form. That being said I still bought one and it’s lovely to use.
I agree and I can't bring myself to do it. I'm getting the base model Mac Studio...the display doubles the cost.

B-Mc-C

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2017
Irvine, California
If it is true you bought a monitor with a known feature set at a certain price.
If it ain't true you bought a monitor with a known feature set at a certain price.

Don't see much of anything changing.
I settled for a monitor without mini-LED because that was the only option. So no, your cute little counter argument doesn’t hold up.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
I settled for a monitor without mini-LED because that was the only option.

Exactly, you settled for this because it was the only option.
What difference does it make wether something better comes around in 4 months or 4 years?

Unless you are of the kind that just has to have the best of the best with every little spec bump.

I saw the specs and it was crystal clear that it was a far to little of an upgrade for far too much money. Something that right now would still be true if it had been Mini-LED at that price/size/features.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
The Studio Display is Apple tax in the highest possible form. That being said I still bought one and it’s lovely to use.
Tax? Show me another 5k display that is significantly less let alone has solid speakers and a webcam (that admittedly needs a firmware/software update to function properly for some reason). Though I'll still probably opt for 2 4k monitors for $500 less.

Reactions: citysnaps

B-Mc-C

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2017
Irvine, California
Exactly, you settled for this because it was the only option.
What difference does it make wether something better comes around in 4 months or 4 years?

Unless you are of the kind that just has to have the best of the best with every little spec bump.

I saw the specs and it was crystal clear that it was a far to little of an upgrade for far too much money. Something that right now would still be true if it had been Mini-LED at that price/size/features.
I want mini-LED and don’t care how much it costs. So if they really do come out with it in June I have to go through the hassle of getting rid of these two displays and buying new ones. It’s an inconvenience. Not sure why that is hard for some to understand.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
This would have been an amazing product for $999.
There would have been zero complaints for both the monitor and the lack of the 27" iMac.
Even without the built-in A13 CPU nonsense... no need for it, really. You can rely on an M1/Pro/Max/Ultra for Pete's sake.

Last edited:

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Even without the built-in A13 CPU nonsense...

Every modern monitor/webcam has some sort of SoC in it and just reusing the old A13 may have been cheaper easier for Apple than buying some off the shel controller and hope for the best.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Every modern monitor/webcam has some sort of SoC in it and just reusing the old A13 may have been cheaper easier for Apple than buying some off the shel controller and hope for the best.

Well it doesn't look like it has worked so well for the webcam...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.