Mac The Ripper 3.0

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wizwaz3, Apr 6, 2007.

1. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

Does anybody know how I can download this new version of MTR? I can't find a working link anywhere... Thanx.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I donated to the priject so I could run the .3 beta. 2.66 runs so dog slow on an Intel machine. It was worth the donation fee, and well it's fun helping out really cool developers.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How can 2.66 run "dog" slow then your disc drive is the biggest bottleneck?

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

look @ here for info on MTR 3.0:eek:

6. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

Is there a problem with recommending a freaking torrent?:confused:

7. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

Well according to the forum rules yes - MTR3 is beta, not free-ware or publicly available.

8. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

That's ridiculous. Mac the Ripper is an 'illegal' program. It's against the law to charge for it, yet they require a "donation" to use the latest version. Even if it was because you have to pay; they should ban all talk of MTR and Limewire, Frostwire etc. I just think it's ridiculous that I can't link a torrent file. People give advice about pirating movies, yet I can't post a link to the program. Ridiculous...

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes, since it requires a donation to access the beta.

agreed, if it was free/publicly available a torrent would be fine.

how is it illegal? making backups of your movies is considered 'fair use' i thought?

and talking about the way in which MTR, Limewire, Bit Torrent works is just fine so long as it doesn't include any illegal aspects. the apps themselves do what they do, but sometimes have issues. and not all of the uses for them are illegal either. anyone advice about pirating movies isn't tolerated here either.

10. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

Illegal was in ' '. I know it's not technically illegal, but go to almost anyone's house who uses MTR and ask to see the original disc.

Talking about limewire or bittorrent is, in essence, the same. Survey a few dozen people as to why they use limewire. Music. Why they use bittorrent. Software. Talking about programs people use illegally is forbidden in the rules,
    but it's common practice here. I just don't see why they enforce the rule when it comes to a link, but not when people talk about it.

I'm done. I voiced my opinion, it's ridiculous and screwed up, but hey, that's life. :)

11. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

No, it isn't. Nor are torrents.

EDIT: Too late :D

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

again, there are legitimate uses for bittorrent and limewire. be it Linux distros, or other distributions of free content.

talking about the apps themselves pose no threat. talking about how to acquire illegal content and such is not allowed. yes its a fine line.

13. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

It's a clear one though, isn't it?

MTR = Legal
    How do I copy DVD's from a rental store then send the disc back = Not so

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Copying any DVD in any way is illegal in the US. It's circumventing the disc's encryption which is illegal under the DMCA.

15. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

That's the MPAA's job...for your sake, I hope you'll be lucky enough that someone currently working in the industry and expecting their paycheck to come from DVD sales doesn't run across this thread, follow your myspace link and report the info to this link.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not clear to everyone.

is it? i thought the jury was still out on that one? honestly. i could be mistaken on this. but i thought for private use of backing up one's own DVDs it was considered 'fair use'?

17. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

What I meant by my examples was that at school I hear my friends talk about how they just downloaded some new band off limewire, or they got photoshop from bittorrent. It's not just from my personal standpoint or anything...

18. szark macrumors 68030

szark

While it is rare, not all commercially sold DVDs use CSS encryption. And DVDs which are produced by small firms, or by a Mac owner using iDVD, are free of encryption. It is definitely legal to backup those types of DVDs.

Most of the people I know who use a ripping program are making backup copies of their kids' movies. They make a copy of the original, and give the copy to the kids. Then, when the kids destroy that DVD within two days, they don't need to buy a new one - they just make another copy.

19. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Just to re-iterate:

Discussing the programs that can be used to facilitate the illegal copying of media is NOT forbidden on MR, discussing the ways in which these programs can be used to do so certainly IS.

Under the EULA that everyone agrees to when they install/run software (this includes DVD and CD data) it is expressly forbidden to copy that data.

The US has a Fair Use clause in it's Copyright Laws that allows the copying of discs for personal and academic use, as do other countries, this law is currently not in effect in the UK or much of Europe, but is being legislated upon soon.

Some people are understandably touchy about copyright theft, it costs me personally good money every year.

If you see posts or threads asking for advice or advising on the methods used to steal media, please report them and they will be removed.

20. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You mean I can't make copies of my holiday DVDs that I made myself with iDVD? Well that is a shame.

21. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

No, that would be perfectly legal. You can't copy commercial DVDs for two reasons: 1) they're copyrighted works, and 2) to copy them, you have to break the CSS encryption used to copy protect them, and circumventing copy protections violates the DMCA.

Since your DVD was yours from start to finish, you can copy it until you're blue in the face.

22. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Just because you know people that pirate software using bit torrent, or commit acts of copywright infringment, doesnt make the technology used for those processes illegal. I have downloaded plenty of free music, programs, videos, and OS's using bit torrent. You are passing judgment on things based purely on your narrow view of the situation. Just because some do use Bit Torrent or any other P2P protocol for illigal deeds it doesnt mean that all that use it are pirates.

23. cowman007 macrumors regular

is it just me or did the topic of this forum rapidly shift to something irreverent? :rolleyes:

24. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

Yes. It's ridiculous. I wish I could close it because now it's just annoying me.

25. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Fine. Come over to my house. You will see my computer with 50-odd ripped movies in iTunes.

And in a box in the basement are the original DVDs for each and every one.