Mac Users Reporting Widespread System Freezes With OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 Update

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 13, 2016.

1. TomSonik macrumors newbie

TomSonik

2. igorleandro macrumors member

On thing that I noticed was that after I upgraded the memory to 32GB this issue became much more apparent on my iMac 27" Late 2015. Then switching back to the stock memory 8GB the problem seemed to go away.

Therefore, how many of you guys have NOT upgraded your memory?

I wonder if this is an issue that might come up with higher memory settings like 16GB or 32GB.

3. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

4. TomSonik macrumors newbie

TomSonik

I have the stock 8 GB memory and it happens to me to.

5. igorleandro macrumors member

Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3L 1866 MT/s (PC3-14900) SODIMM 204-Pin Memory For Mac - CT2K8G3S186DM

What was interesting in my case was that different order of the modules did seem to affect how often the issue happened, and if I didn't put all four modules the issue was not showing up. That was back in 10.11.3 too. I've been trying to fix this since January.

6. ladewd macrumors newbie

Working all day on my 2009 MBP using El Capitan updated this morning. No crashes here. My MacPro is still running 10.10.5 and I'm always slow at updating it because I need a solid machine for audio production.

7. Negritude macrumors 6502

Did anyone mention yet whether disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox/Chrome or WebGL in Safari made any difference with the widespread hanging/crashing/freezing problem?

8. jjini macrumors newbie

I have tried disabling WebGL in Safari and some other things related to Safari but that didn't do anything. Apart from that the freezes appear to be independent from Safari as my MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) also froze while not using Safari. Therefore the problem appears to be independent from individual software/applications.

Nevertheless my MacBook has been perfectly fine since updating to OS X 10.11.5 though only time will tell whether this issue is fixed or not...
    --- Post Merged, May 18, 2016 ---
    I also haven't upgraded my memory but have had a lot freezes (sometimes even two in a day). I don't think that's the source of this freezing problem.

9. dilbert99 macrumors 68020

I've had heaps of system freezes on 10.11.4 15" mid 2012 rMBP every time when using safari and never on other apps. So good to know it is probably related to that release and light at the end of the tunnel

10. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

The OS X 10.11.5 update is released (in case you missed that). Hope it solves the issues you're having.

11. gm22 macrumors newbie

gm22

I have updated to 10.11.5 and unfortunately no luck. I continue to have the same problem others have mentioned in the beginning of this article. I also have problems with restarting. If I restart and the background of the login screw has "strange" lines around the borders of the images I no immediately that the computer will freeze when I try to login. If I continue rebooting the computer multiple times until this "strange" lines are gone, the computer start-up fine. I thing it has to be a graphic card issue.

12. Ja3s0n22 macrumors newbie

Ja3s0n22

Updated to the new OS (.5) the day it came out...so far so good...

13. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Ouch… Yes, sounds like it might be hardware related. Have you tried doing a ”safe start” and then a normal start, i.e. don't hold down the Shift key during startup?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

14. edmundostudios macrumors newbie

That's not the problem we are having sounds like your GPU is broken.

15. TurboPGT! Suspended

still having this issue with 10.11.5 on retine imac 5k

16. igorleandro macrumors member

I see folks are discussing that it might be hardware or not.

Always consider that a bad driver can be as bad as a bad hardware. For all we know, the GPU driver can be buggy and that could lead to all the issues we are seeing.

If I remember correctly, Apple also introduced Metal in El Capitan, and if that is the case I'm not surprised with serious Graphical related bugs. Sucks, but doesn't surprise me.

17. jefftsai macrumors newbie

still having issue on 10.11.5 on late 2015 imac 27inch

18. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Running 10.11.5 here, on a Late 2015 27: iMac. Earlier, it just froze. I had to hold the power button down, restart it, just to get it functional again.

19. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    OS X is fast becoming a permanent Beta. and that I don't need for business related systems...

Q-6

20. tripmusic macrumors 6502

tripmusic

My Mac Pro 5,1 hard freezes all the time. Seems like an issue with Safari, but not sure

21. Dicelu macrumors member

I don't know if someone else has mentioned this before but it seems, in my case at least, to be related to bluetooth. I had three devices connected via bluetooth and my MBPr freezes about once a week. Then, I unconnected one of the device (a BT speaker) and I haven't had a freeze for about two weeks. Then, just today, I got a magic mouse and connected it. So I have KB, trackpad and mouse connected via BT. And guess what? Yup, el capitan froze!

22. indiekiduk macrumors 6502

Just submitted this bug report that sounds similar to this:

Summary:
    I've hit a serious bug with my MacBook Pro. First the laptop is closed and used with an external display and then allowed to go asleep for an hour. Then when disconnecting the external monitor and moving laptop away from desk then trying to open the laptop the display won't come on, or it won't wake up. Reconnecting back to external monitor has no effect and have to resort to a hard reset. The monitor is a Samsung U24E850R 24-Inch LED 4K Monitor connected via mini-display port.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Connect Macbook pro to external display using mini-display port with power connected and close lid.
    2. In system prefs set power adaptor turn off display 40mins and uncheck prevent computer from sleeping.
    3. Wait an hour.
    4. Disconnect mac from external display and from power.
    5. Open lid and try to use Macbook

Expected Results:
    Display should turn on and system should wake up

Actual Results:
    Display does not turn on and system does not wake up. Keyboard is not lit up. Force track pad is unresponsive.

Version:
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
    OS X 10.11.5 (15F34)

Notes:
    Work around is to wake mac before disconnecting external display.

23. jackapple macrumors member

I, too, am having the system freezes on MacBookPro10,1 on 10.11.5. It's essentially a new Mac, since Apple recently replaced the entire case, keyboard, logic board, and SSD. Oddly, in the last freeze, I couldn't move the mouse but Photoshop finished saving a large file from 60% to 100% before I forced-shutdown via holding the power button.

24. scs21690 macrumors newbie

scs21690

I have a new iMac 21.5 4k with no problems with El Capitan. My MacBook Pro 13" 2010 mid freezes daily with El Capitan, had fresh installs 3 times with no help. Ran Hardware test on the MacBook Pro with no hardware problems. Also have 4 Windows 10 , laptops and desktops ranging from 2 to 6 years old . Only one had a problem with the upgrade . Never had a complete computer freeze up like MacBook Pro. I think older Macs can't handle the software updates. We need to update to latest OS X because of the security, features, & software compatibility . Apple get your act together.

25. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Can still be that there's a hardware problem even if the test doesn't detect it. But there can of course also be an OS X problem in the graphics driver that your Mac model uses. At the same time, if that behaviour is the same for all Macs of that particular modell I think Apple would have managed to reproduce the problem during beta testing. But what do I know…

Just for the record – I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) at work that I installed OS X El Capitan (10.11) on release day and it hasn't frozen once. Well, one time on 10.11.4 it didn't shut down properly (black screen and spinning cogwheel) have to admit that.