Mac vs PC, regarding laptops....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spmiz12, Nov 24, 2010.

1. spmiz12 macrumors regular

I realize there are alot of people on this amazing board with alot of years with mac experience under their belts. And their knowledge is invaluable.... Plus many of us turn to them for their opinions and insight. However, More and more people are making the switch from PC to Mac. And when that happens, then alot of questions are raised.

I truly think why there are so many questions as to what to buy, when to buy, am I making the right choice, and so on....... Are because, In the PC world technology rapidly vanishes, and what was great 6 months ago, isn't so much today...... However, ( my impression ) and I can be wrong; but OS operating system and hardware enhancements are completely different from a Apple's point of view.....

I bought a 13" MBP and struggled for days did I make the right decision, before I ever opened it; or should I get a 15" instead for another $600 and the latest chipset..... I took the plunge and decided what I needed was now, plus my requirements and trusted the amazing performance I have had from Apple products in the past...... I set-up a 13" MBP ( base model ) with parallel, windows 7, Photoshop, external Blu-Ray burner; and to be honest, I am thrilled with the performance.....

People need to realize, The Apple world is not the norm of the life they lead in the PC world...... Trust me, I spent 20 + years in the PC world, it took me less then a year to truly understand how different things are...... Think about it, You can have an Apple and add a windows platform; still run strong, can you say that about any PC based platform???

Just my two cents.... Hope I don't get bashed for all this.

2. rmiller02 macrumors newbie

I used to be a PC user for a long time. That is the OS that I was taught while growing up. I began using Macs for a while, but made the complete switch at home not too long ago, and I could not be happier. Mac seems much more stable, and the quality of their product is outstanding.

3. spmiz12 thread starter macrumors regular

Welcome aboard..... I truly understand what that means, we just need to spread the word; lol..... Problem is that most people are scared of this technology, sorry as that may be; it is the future and with that somehow people have came to a point where they feel safer with the PC world..... Yet, I think if I was a novice, I would LOVE computers more based on Apple....

Price dictates everything, it is funny how more and more Mac is making a reknowned precence.

4. rmiller02 macrumors newbie

Well, the biggest reason why I switched is because I am a graphic designer. Although their proprietary software and hardware can be seen as negative by some; for people in my profession, this is a lifesaver. It keeps colors consistent, and the display quality in Macs is just excellent.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

When I was in the market for a new laptop I took a look at Max and liked them very much.
    It really came down to several things, processor, blu-ray, HDMI or display port, on board memory card reader, at least a 15 inch and of course with in the budget.
    Dell had the all and more of what I wanted, lower price, 4 year full accidental next day repair warranty for hundreds less.
    The all inclusive Dell gave me everything without the need of any external components.
    One think Mac beats the Dell out on is battery life.
    The Dell has been outstanding and completely meets my needs.
    With the money I ended up saving with the dell I purchased a mac mini to toy around on.
    Regarding the OS both have their advantages and with both I have dislikes.

6. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

If Mac market share gets too high Mac users will undoubtedly suffer the same onslaught of malware and viruses that plague PC users. I for one wish less people would switch but you can't keep a good thing secret 4ever :(

7. dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

This is always a debate, Mac vs. PC... and to be truthful it will always be a toss-up. You have 2 primary OS's that have proved themselves time after time, and yet this conversation always arises. The one thing I've always asked people this, "What is your primary objective, and why do you choose [X] as your decision?" This is the one true way to counter this. Because, anyone can use either OS but it always boils down to your goal on what to do.
    My thoughts- Mac. For everyday computing and for professional uses, Apple has always been the forefront. One of the main reasons for people choosing PC's is simply the price. With the economy going South, and the dollar becoming the primary for families nowadays, people want cheap. And to go back with my thoughts, you get what you pay for.
    :)
    Hopefully this helped some.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Why do you say this? It won't be the same based on how the OS was built.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Is the thought that all PC machines are built to the same level of quality or the performance of a $500 machine and a $1500 machine is equal?

10. dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

People always think quality is the same, and that what you pay for is the brand name, and for all the people who say "It comes out of the same factory". :rolleyes:
    Clearly, that is not true. Sony for example; people ALWAYS bash them for a little raised prices compared to everyone. But, what they don't know is that actually you are paying in a brand that builds components within the technology being used. They aren't just throwing parts onto a motherboard and calling it a day, everything works with each other and everything is tested to ensure quality is being achieved with the current setup provided.

11. spmiz12 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

No, the PC market is more applying to the economy, the market; while apple has stood their ground and is seeing that after 20+ years, more can see the proof..

I spent 20 years in the PC realm, but the 18 months have been a total eye opening experience... I honestly was reluctant to change, but you can't hide supreme technology and amazing operating software then OS.... Bill gates, catered to today; while Steve stood his ground... Honestly, To me, and the deeper I get; Apple will be the driving force forward..

12. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Can't argue with generalizations

13. dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

True, true.
    But like I said, I don't honestly believe in a debate like this there is a true winner. It depends on the person, and what he/she believes. It's hard to change customers perspective, unless you give them a benefit for THEIR lifestyle and not just a generalization of a whole group. Sometimes, companies like Apple, can benefit everyone :)

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The trackpad on the macbooks are far more superior than PC laptops. That's something definite.

15. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Yes it is.
    When people state how much it cost to replace I always thought, damn what a rip.
    Then when I actually used on I then understood the cost issue

16. uMBPi728 macrumors member

Satisfaction

Apple has always been about the experience. Whenever I run into someone who ask me "Why Apple?" I always say, "It's all about the EXPERIENCE." And they smile. Maybe it's that assurance that someone else is feeling positive about a product that makes them want to make the jump. To be initiated, knowing you have another choice, that's probably better.

Everyone's different, yes, but we all are looking for that thing, that's better. Who knows, maybe that person will try a MAC and decide, it's not for him, and return to the PC. Hey, that's ok. Some are not ready for what's better but more accustomed to what is the norm. Whatever your choice, you need to be satisfied with what you have. I'm satisfied with my MAC (my 2nd).

Oh, I've used PCs since DOS and still use Windows and I don't hate it. I just don't like the experience as much.

Peace all!
    Mel

17. hzxu macrumors regular

Not everything has a reason, so there are something that you should/could not ask for the objective, for example, why do you come to the world and what is your objective?

18. rekhyt macrumors 65816

... Such an interesting topic at such a good time.

I've been a Mac user for other 5 years already, from a MacBook to a MacBook Pro, 2 iPod Touches, 1 iPod Nano from before... So you can call me an Apple supporter.

But of the lately, I've been quite dissatisfied with my MacBook Pro. It performs quite poorly in Photoshop and Illustrator CS5, can't play recent games well, and gets sluggish at times.

I was contemplating about replacing my MacBook Pro and going for the newer ones that are probably released in mid 2011, but...

I'm thinking about buying one of those new Dell XPS 15" laptops for the specs, although I think I'll miss the wonderful interface of OSX.

I might get another MacBook Pro after a few years, but I never want to feel like this again.

Update: ... Or maybe not. I might get another MacBook Pro and replace mine with the newer ones, thanks to http://www.9to5mac.com/37747/rumor-final-cut-and-massive-macbook-pro-upgrade-for-april-11.

Update 2: Actually, after reading the article, I think it's just going to be another insignificant upgrade again. ¬.¬

19. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone

Odd isn't it? The trackpad is the input device a user uses probably over 90% of the time. On the vast majority of PCs they have those cheap tiny trackpads that have been used for the past 10 years. Only Apple has really innovated with using a larger glass trackpad.

20. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

Well i use both - i have a 15" macbook pro late 2008 unibody with 4gb ram 94/9600 video cards etc and this does me 99% of the time...

i also have an intel quad 2.5 3gb ram ati 1gb 4870 video card that i use purely for gaming and watching movies on my 42" as a mac simply doesnt cut it gaming wise...

i dont have a preference or pro's n cons because the list could go on for ever...

i use my mac for everything i love it! for World of warcraft its ample - but for pure gaming then i switch on the desktop and run everything full whack - plus i have only bought the video card in the desktop i got given the rest of it to me - if i had to buy again i would prob just live with not gaming :D

i know a mac pro would blow a few desktops out of the water for gaming - but i simply dont have the £££ for a pro :( wish i did :D

after xmas i'm after either apple tv or a mac mini

I use this with customers that ask advice - what you using it for? if they say facebook / msn / emails etc then i advise against parting with the £ for a mac - if there into photo's video etc then i tell em they will never regret getting a mac...

21. Winni, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010

Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Don't be naive. Mac OS X has its own history of security holes and exploits, as has any other platform on the world. Remember the "month of the Mac exploit" where for a single month some hackers succeeded at finding a new security hole in OS X every day?

Then look at how easy it is to jailbreak iOS: Through a website!!! And OS X has similar holes. Those are major design flaws that could also be exploited for more sinister purposes.

Vista and Win7 are COMPLETE overhauls and re-writes with de facto a much more secure design than their predecessors and even Mac OS X. But, of course, that doesn't keep a user from double-clicking on every piece of trash that moves. But then again, even OS X will not be able to keep such users from double-clicking on every .app package for OS X that contains a trojan. (The time when viruses were a real threat are LONG gone, even in the Windows world.) Just remember the malware that came with those illegal version of iWork 09 several months ago. That has proven that OS X is as easy a target as good old Windows 95 was -- if you -want- to attack it.

If you're serious about security, then you'll run OpenBSD on your computer. It's still the most secure operating system, which is why most security appliances are based upon OpenBSD. (And now don't make the mistake to confuse FreeBSD, the foundation of Mac OS X, or Linux or NetBSD with OpenBSD. Those are completely different pairs of shoes.)

Most of you guys just believe too much in old cliches and the horrible Apple marketing - which, by the way, never has left the 1980s and is still using those almost thirty years old stupid phrases.

And then they insert their credit cards into the iTunes/AppStore - and soon Mac AppStore - machinery to get their shiny product working.

THAT'S the real Apple experience: You have to pay constantly and for everything. And then comes the next "huge" upgrade that renders your entire hardware useless because they simply don't support it anymore.

And then you wake up with the realization that you've invested into a software platform whose sole purpose is to tie you to the hardware of ONE company, and if you don't want to lose your entire software investment, you are forced to buy your next computer from Apple again.

I wonder if a credit card reader will be the only expansion slot that forthcoming Macs will have...

22. ottos, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010

ottos macrumors member

Very happy with my new 13''pro , no more windows for me
    I need reliability and a computer that works the way it supposed to work
    Windows pc has never done that for me. If Apple computer keep their
    computer prizes higher they way they have been I think that will prevent
    a mass switch over ? or at least I hope .
    I sure like the Track pad , even when using my Mac on my desk I now
    find myself using the Track pad instead of the Mouse a lot of the time:)

:
    You sound very unhappy, maybe you need to switch to a PC :(

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Last time I had a PC ... Windows 97

Mac OS is how we roll :cool:

24. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

May I suggest the OP has already made exaggeratedly clear his Apple fanboism via *several* previous threads?

25. jlw2387 macrumors member

Well, this forum does seem like a pretty good place to express some Apple Fanboyism.