Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hartonis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2016
Hello,

I am a Mac Book Pro owner and since my hard disk broke and had to have it replaced, I lost the apps that were included in the DVD provided with my Mac purchase (Pages etc.). On the top of that, my DVD player is also broken and therefore I cannot install theses apps straight from the dvd. So, when I try to download Pages from Mac App store, It asks me to pay for it. In the past, when that happened to me again, I had to contact Apple and I was eventually refunded. But since I would like to avoid that, is there a way to download the apps that were included on the DVD without having to pay for them?

Thank you in advance!!

Haris

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The short answer is, "No." If your Mac is old enough that iWorks was distributed on DVD, then there's no automated way to get those apps for free from the Mac App Store - you'll have to call Apple.

Another possibility is to borrow an external DVD drive, and reinstall those apps from disk.

Now, if you'd had a backup of your MacBook, your apps would have automatically been reinstalled when you restored from that backup. I'm not placing blame - all of us, at some time or other, have failed to do something that might have prevented problems later on - just consider it a sales pitch for making backups from now on. https://support.apple.com/HT201250

Hartonis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2016
Thank you kindly for your reply. I am aware of the things you are suggesting but i just wanted to make sure there is a way to download the apps since the bad thing has already happened. :)

Yes, i will contact Apple!! Thank you for your time and all the help!

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'm confused. If you've previously downloaded them from the Mac App Store, why are they not already available on the Purchased tab? I recently upgraded from a rMBP to a 5K iMac, and had no issue re-downloading them from the MAS.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Hello,

I am a Mac Book Pro owner and since my hard disk broke and had to have it replaced, I lost the apps that were included in the DVD provided with my Mac purchase (Pages etc.). On the top of that, my DVD player is also broken and therefore I cannot install theses apps straight from the dvd. So, when I try to download Pages from Mac App store, It asks me to pay for it. In the past, when that happened to me again, I had to contact Apple and I was eventually refunded. But since I would like to avoid that, is there a way to download the apps that were included on the DVD without having to pay for them?

Thank you in advance!!

Haris

You can use the DVD sharing over a network function if you have a mac or windows pc on the same network with a working DVD drive, it will ask to use that computer's DVD drive.
Usually this is for MBA, MM & MBPr or post 2011 iMacs.
Just go to Sharing on your MBP and either the other mac, or install the DVD/CD sharing for mac program on the windows pc.

Additionally you may find that iWorks 09 has more features than the current MAS version of pages, numbers and keynote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.