Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelsh1993

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Hi, after some advice on my Macbook Air 2013

It will not power up on battery or when the battery is connected.

Only Way To Startup Is By Having The Battery Disconnected & Connecting The MagSafe Power - Which Starts The MACBOOK without using the power button.

On the odd occasion i was able to get it to start with battery connected and battery appeared to be working fine.

AC Connected - Battery Disconnected From Logic Board
- The Macbook will power on as soon as the magsafe is connected. (not using power button)
- If shutdown, the power button will not start the macbook back up, AC needs to be disconnected and reconnected. (but power button does turn the magsafe from orange to green for a second).
- when powered on, clicking power button will turn off (or place in sleep - unsure which one) and wont recover. (requires magsafe to be disconnected and reconnected)

I have tested voltages to power rails which all seem ok.
I have removed the logic board and thoroughly inspected for damage / signs of issues.
Have reseated logic board to ensure seated correctly and not shorting.
Have tested with ssd disconnected - same result

has the logic board failed or am i missing something, this thing is driving me crazy!

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Was the MacBook ever exposed to liquids?

Is it possible the keyboard is defective? I ask because the power button circuit is routed through the keyboard to the trackpad and then to the logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.