MacBook Air 2019

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BLBL, Jul 9, 2019.

1. BLBL macrumors 6502

I saw new MBA released today. Only difference I can see is reduced price, true tone display and something mentioned about keyboard (looks like 4th gen butterfly). Not even new gen CPU or P3 display.
    Would it be worth to return just purchased Air 2018 and get this? I doubt but new entry level Pro looks temptating choice, with new CPU and TB even in entry level model at reasonable price.

2. CheesePuff macrumors 6502a

3. BLBL thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought they were referring to old Air (without retina) about speakers, but I could be wrong. I mean they are also talking about 20% larger touchpad but to me it looks the same size as in my Air 2018.

Anyway, new entry level Pro looks very interesting. I'm really thinking whether I should get that.
    It is interesting to see what kind of CPU that 1.4GHz quad core is in that?

4. vistokid macrumors 6502

Yeah pretty sure it's just true tone.

5. hooper2 macrumors member

2019 MBA vs new 2019 low-end MBP? Is the wide color display that noticeable on the MBP? Is the CPU worth the extra bump from MBA --> MBP?

6. BLBL thread starter macrumors 6502

Side by side MBA 2018 vs MBP the P3 color richness is pretty evident. But by no means sRGB display in MBA is not bad.

Good question. Depends on what the CPU in new entry level MBP is. I'd guess it is higher TDP than in Air, otherwise it will be underpowered for Pro usage, so I'd predict it must be at least 15W or similar.

Anyway, new Pro considering all things it very very temptating. Looks like for a price of an old non TB 2017 Pro model you get TB with new gen CPU. I'm really considering returning my Air 2018 and getting new Pro.

7. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

I think it's worth it. You just spend $1000+ on your new computer. Why not have the latest and greatest?? Take that grand and get the most you can out of it. It's your money...

8. BLBL thread starter macrumors 6502

I paid just under 1000 for my Air 2018 so new entry level Pro would mean about extra 500 but still very temptating. Only thing is that I really got mine as first experience to MacOS and ability to use and control some of my iPhone features easily, I have currently no real use for the machine. So I don’t really need one, but I’m a tech freak and just like to get all new hardware. :)

9. YonTom macrumors newbie

Well this is disappointing. I have only had my MacBook Air 2018 for a few months and now they introduce True Tone? With a price decrease and improved keyboard? This only shows that they could have had True Tone on the MacBook Air 2018 from the beginning with the current price, but chose not to so that they could sell more iPad Pros with that feature. The sales tactics of Apple are really discouraging... I hope we don't have to hear Tim Cook or anyone else at Apple dismiss the claim that Apple overcharges for its products (and worse, that holds off on great features for some products just to make a quick buck on others...)

10. CPL593H macrumors member

Looks a nice upgrade. Still enjoying my 2018 MBA and this update doesn’t make it any worse. It’s been a good little machine so far.

11. joleel7 macrumors member

I just bought a refurbished 2018 MBA for my wife, still within a return period.. Do you think it is worth to pay extra couple of hundred for 2019 MBA?

12. Acorn, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019

Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

Apple does know windows is selling 1.6 ghz quad core machines for 600 right. Asus has a thinnner model than apple and it’s still quad core. No quad core on the air is a huge pass for me. Paying that much for a duel core machine is pretty lame these days. Especially given how widespread these low cost 1.6 quad core machines have been.

13. BLBL thread starter macrumors 6502

No, but for new entry level MBP yes.

14. joleel7 macrumors member

Thanks that’s what wife iis saying too. She just use it for her school assignment so far I found her keyboard way better than my 2016 MBP.

15. YonTom macrumors newbie

Am I the only one who fears that a functioning, scissor keyboard will be a new luxury feature of Macs, just like FaceID is for iPads? If so, there won't be a new upgrade to Macbook Airs in this respect for years to come (and the rumored new keyboard for MBA 2019 is actually the "improved" butterfly keyboard we just got), while the new $2,999 16" Macbook will be the one featuring a new scissor keyboard.

16. torana355 macrumors 68040

I just got a 2018 MBA last week. Im happy with the machine but I wish I had of waited :(

17. YonTom macrumors newbie

Two words: Return it.

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Of all the features I don't want on a laptop, True Tone is probably the one I want the least. Laptops screens should be color accurate.

19. YonTom macrumors newbie

It depends on what you do with your laptop. If you do a lot of reading and writing on Pages, as I do, then TrueTone is a great feature to have. If you don’t want it you can simply deactivate it.

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Fair enough, but I'm an iPad reader, myself.

21. torana355 macrumors 68040

I didn't get it from Apple, i got it from JbHiFi, they only have a 7 day return period.

22. joleel7 macrumors member

I am returning my refurbished 2018 MBA just ordered 2019 MBA with Eduction Promotion and free beat studio 3 :D

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

that's pretty cool

Seriously, though: Sell the Studio 3s and get the Sony WH-1000XM3s instead. Actually good sound.

24. scupking macrumors 6502a

Exactly. There is no reason these should be priced at what they are for only a dual core machine... Now if they sold it for $999 with 16GB of ram and 512GB SSD, that would be ok.