Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fmalvar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2020
Hey there!

I was wondering if you guys think MBA 2020 i5 can run Illustrator and Photoshop for simple tasks or is it worth waiting for the new MBP? I have my iMac for my daily job,

Thank you!

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I would like to know as well. I would be running similar apps — Affinity Designer and Sketch. The i5 upgrade is an easy decision, but what about 8 vs 16 for ram?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I would like to know as well. I would be running similar apps — Affinity Designer and Sketch. The i5 upgrade is an easy decision, but what about 8 vs 16 for ram?

I decided to give 8 a try even coming from 8/256 2016 nTB. I feel I might upgrade in a few years, but I am oh so curious to try the 'magic' keyboard at this price. 16 is putting it closer into the price territory of waiting for a 2020 14" refurb when 2021 is out, or a really amazing sale.

$999 with edu discount includes i5 upgrade and was a no brainer.

assuming I love it, still torn whether to trade my machine in or have it as a backup/ not worry about data migration across it and win10 boot camp.

I think I might keep it, theres always been 'that one time' you wish you had a backup when you don't. but paying for half the machine is tempting tooo.. still worried about not having a p3 screen. Could also turn this into a desktop.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I decided to give 8 a try even coming from 8/256 2016 nTB. I feel I might upgrade in a few years, but I am oh so curious to try the 'magic' keyboard at this price. 16 is putting it closer into the price territory of waiting for a 2020 14" refurb when 2021 is out, or a really amazing sale.

$999 with edu discount includes i5 upgrade and was a no brainer.

assuming I love it, still torn whether to trade my machine in or have it as a backup/ not worry about data migration across it and win10 boot camp.

I think I might keep it, theres always been 'that one time' you wish you had a backup when you don't. but paying for half the machine is tempting tooo.. still worried about not having a p3 screen. Could also turn this into a desktop.
I’m leaning the same way — I’ve been using a 2017 Air, so a quad would be an upgrade to that. RAM would be the same amount, but maybe planning on upgrading more frequently eliminates the need to max out the system. Especially with RAM — maybe in the future Apple becomes more generous with this like they did with storage? Screen tech will change too, so I’m not worried about p3 — ideally a desktop is where the serious work is done, and the Air becomes a nice mobile compromise.

neverendingscot

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2015
My 2012 MBP with 8GB RAM and a dual core processor has geekbench 5 scores that are less than half of what the 2020 i5 MBA is posting and I run Photoshop and InDesign CC without a hitch. I’ve done some video editing on the MBP with iMovie but doubt it would be able to handle heavy video editing.

So this MBA should be plenty sufficient. The i5 with 16GB RAM is going to be what I buy whenever I decide to pull the trigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.