Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
This feels like a BS rumor and I hope it is. People won't pay for notches
its not bs since the revil leak showed a notch of sorts.

1634526869598.jpeg

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
its not bs since the revil leak showed a notch of sorts.

View attachment 1869075
From a math vs resolution point of view, the notch makes sense, but does that actually show a notch? Cuz that doesn't actually have the screen there. From that schematic, for all we know, there could be a bezel there.

BTW, the mockup included in the original MacRumors article is an odd choice, since there is no notch in the mockup.

macbook-air-teal.jpg

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
For a phone, it was understandable when Apple was fitting a few tech features but we are ready for it to disappear. For a computer? Come on Apple, do better.

Reactions: snipr125

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
I'd prefer slightly larger bezels than shown, so when I open the lid the screen won't get dirty with fingerprints or skin oil and the lid assembly would be stronger.

Reactions: Populus

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Finally a tattooed notch on our foreheads becomes fashionable as well. Looks ugly, but hey, everybody is doing it, so it must be cool.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
but cannot fathom this monstrosity on a device this large.
Are you serious? Notch is much more bothersome and intrusive on a small display, on a large display is like it doesn't exist. But I completely understand that this is MacRoumors community where any design changes are suppose to be hated until loved. I would take the notch anytime for the edge to edge display. The mac displays don't need a frame around like iPads do, because you do not hold them. Makes perfect sense.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I've come round to the idea a bit having read about how this could be implemented. Looking at the leaked screen resolutions, the assumption is that you'll still have your 16:10 aspect ratio screen, but above that you'll have an extra section of space which will have the "notch" in the middle, with space either side which can be used for items which traditionally sit in the top right of your menu bar.

Or it could all just be top trolling!

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Are you serious? Notch is much more bothersome and intrusive on a small display, on a large display is like it doesn't exist. But I completely understand that this is MacRoumors community where any design changes are suppose to be hated until loved. I would take the notch anytime for the edge to edge display. The mac displays don't need a frame around like iPads do, because you do not hold them. Makes perfect sense.
I don't really want to loose menu bar space to a notch! I already have too many icons in my menu bar to fit on screen as it is :(

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
The MacBook Air was recently updated. I really would like to see a larger iMac. Sooner rather than later.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I don't really want to loose menu bar space to a notch! I already have too many icons in my menu bar to fit on screen as it is :(
So you are making this assumption based on what? What makes you think you will loose anything? Why don't you wait and see the implementation (if this turns out to be true) before jumping on all sorts of incorrect conclusion?
I think the forum user Mixy was spot on with his thought of how it may be implemented (picture below) and I fully agree with him. Rather than having a full black bezel that does f.all, have a dark top of the screen where you can see all the menu icons.

Attachments

• Notch implementation 3.png
    Notch implementation 3.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 141
Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The wedge design is part of what makes it great. I had a 2017 13” MacBook Pro and I hated the feel of it. Ugh.

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
I've come round to the idea a bit having read about how this could be implemented. Looking at the leaked screen resolutions, the assumption is that you'll still have your 16:10 aspect ratio screen, but above that you'll have an extra section of space which will have the "notch" in the middle, with space either side which can be used for items which traditionally sit in the top right of your menu bar.
and if it is possible as an option in the settings to make this extra section of space on both sides of the notch pitch black (no items like clock, date etc) then it magically vanishes and the notch-haters can have their bezel.

Reactions: BuddyTronic

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
So you are making this assumption based on what? What makes you think you will loose anything? Why don't you wait and see the implementation (if this turns out to be true) before jumping on all sorts of incorrect conclusion?
I think the forum user Mixy was spot on with his thought of how it may be implemented (picture below) and I fully agree with him. Rather than having a full black bezel that does f.all, have a dark top of the screen where you can see all the menu icons.
To be fair, the way this has been reported from the start hasn't done much to explain how it could be implemented in a way which would be totally non-intrusive and everyone has latched on to the headlines about the notch.

I was one of them when I first saw it, but I know totally get it. Unfortunately we're in day 3 (I think) of this and much of the reporting is still the usual sensationalist clickbait stuff we're all used-to. No subtlety or context.

Reactions: BvizioN

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Marketing team: “Our best selling device, the iPhone, has a notch. The other products which sell less don’t have a notch. So according to our research, if we bring the notch to our other products, sales will increase by 420%”.

Tim Cook: “Brilliant”

Steve jobs: “Please don’t do it. Can you guys hear me?”

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
To be fair, the way this has been reported from the start hasn't done much to explain how it could be implemented in a way which would be totally non-intrusive and everyone has latched on to the headlines about the notch.

I was one of them when I first saw it, but I know totally get it. Unfortunately we're in day 3 (I think) of this and much of the reporting is still the usual sensationalist clickbait stuff we're all used-to. No subtlety or context.
There are a few mockups on how it would be implemented without being intrusive done by the forum people and it does kinda make sense when we try to fit it in.

But yes, the slippery slope is strong surrounding this topic.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
I've got an Android with a notch on one side, and I really can't wrap my head around how a notch larger than an abscess is a superior solution to just... like, making the bezel a little bigger and giving you all of the screen. The latter is certainly more fall-resistant.
Honestly, getting so worked up over a bezel being a couple percents of an inch larger or smaller to the point of going out of your way to cut a semicircle into the screen is the utterly firstest of world problems. I do just fine with my iBook G3 and it has a bezel that's a good inch thick, because none of that bezel cuts into the actual viewable area, so how thick it is past that is essentially meaningless. Not so with a notch.
As for the keyboard... the taper was a feature, however intentional it was. I don't know when this apparently stopped being considered normal, but every keyboard I've owned, from my 1998 Microsoft Natural Pro to my 2021 off brand Wal-Mart keyboard, has had kickstands in the back so you can angle it, if minutely, and get a slightly more comfortable typing experience out of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.