Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
“And since we had to create a custom display, that no one else in the industry uses and is exclusively manufactured for us and us alone in low quantities, we managed to keep production costs down and are proud to announce the entry level price of the new MacBooks with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD will only be $2999 and we think you’re going to love it!” /s
And any screen repair will require you to pay $999, with no 3rd party able to even get the parts. Yay?

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Has Apple gotten bored? Can't they think of anything else? I rather have a USB-A port than a useless notch.
Just have ~8mm bezel at the top, to house as many infared, cameras, detectors, microwave transmitters or whatever you want.

Reactions: lepidotós

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Please Touch Bar come back. I take you any day over a notch.
While I have a hard time deciding what is worse between the touch bar and a notch on the screen, this is exactly what the notch rumor made me think about: one awkward and irrelevant feature of the Mac laptops goes away, another comes in...

This is just ridiculous, especially as we see that, in the same time, Apple itself is working at reducing this notch they could not avoid on the iPhones. And they did not add it to the iPads (where I would expect this to be more relevant than in a proper real computer).

Reactions: jon9091

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
I still hope this is one of those calculated attempts Apple has pulled off lately to catch leakers.

I understand the benefits of Face ID on a Mac but cannot fathom this monstrosity on a device this large.
Agreed, they are trying to weed out the leakers for sure.. Even with the idea of FaceID, you could cram that inside the device.. You could also just place the faceID in the lower part of the screen facing up since it's not for video conferencing anyway..

Reactions: GeoStructural

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
And any screen repair will require you to pay $999, with no 3rd party able to even get the parts. Yay?
In all seriousness... that is another factor, yes. Bezels also protect the display and are there to "absorb" a smaller bump to the frame. When a bezel is completely done, the display is more likely to break. Google for "MacBook Pro bezel crack". Many displays survive an impact to the frame where only the bezel cracks and the rest of the screen is fine. That is because of how the display protector is glued in those areas. So a higher repair rate is expected. Of course when the impact is in the screen area itself, that won't matter.

Reactions: lepidotós

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The notch is a bit of a nuisance on my iPhone 13 mini only because I can't see battery percentage but it should be less of a problem on a MacBook Pro. I usually don't use fullscreen mode.

cvstodes

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
I find it difficult to accept that people actually care about notches, real or hypothetical, as these threads would suggest.

Reactions: andrewsyd

tyranne201

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2020
samsungingenius.jpg

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
If these notch rumours are wrong it’s going to be hilarious.

And this guy will probably be fired.
I so hope this is the case and the notch doesn't happen. Hopefully it's like the Apple Watch Series 7 with flat edges. The only thing that makes me concerned that this rumor is true is the safe area and new screen resolutions that were actually found inside of a Monterey beta.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
So you are making this assumption based on what? What makes you think you will loose anything? Why don't you wait and see the implementation (if this turns out to be true) before jumping on all sorts of incorrect conclusion?
I think the forum user Mixy was spot on with his thought of how it may be implemented (picture below) and I fully agree with him. Rather than having a full black bezel that does f.all, have a dark top of the screen where you can see all the menu icons.
That implementation means less room for menu bar items though. I allready can't fit the menu bar items I like to use, and a notch will eat further into that space!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 12.19.19 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 12.19.19 am.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: johnmarki

alphasports

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
What kills me is back when iphone X came out with the first notch everyone thought it was soooooo cool, so much so that Androids immediately appeared with totally unnecessary notches. Here we are a few years later and everyone's now ranting about how awful the notch is. Dunno man, different doesn't necessarily mean better but apparently if there's an Apple logo on it all is champagne and caviar.

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Now that the MacBook Pro has officially been announced and the rumoured notch has been confirmed, it is almost safe to say that the 2022 MacBook Air will increase to 14.2”. I think I will wait for that rather than grab a new 14” Pro now. I just don’t need a Pro mode anymore.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
He also said that the MacBook Air will "look much better" as Apple plans to eliminate the current wedge design. The MacBook Air has long had a design that transitions from thicker at the back to thinner at the front. The leaker claims that the next MacBook Air will have a "very round and light" design.

Wow. Name one person who ever went on record to say the current MBA wedge design is ugly or in need of improvement?

That sounds like the same made-up BS logic that users needed light, airy, cleaner, modern interfaces...only to result in the monochromatic flat-design buttonless interfaces that are discernibly less intuitive and less easy to use than before.

Tech_Mac_Man

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2018
Toronto, ON
I really hope the 2022 MacBook Air DOES NOT GET THAT UGLY NOTCH AT THE TOP!!

Apple almost had the perfect looking 2021 laptop until they added that dumb notch at the top of the screen.

In 2-4 years they will remove the notch and call it "INNOVATION"

What a joke!!

Apple look at 2021 Dell XPS design and learn a few things about "slim bezel without a notch"

1634614850709.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.