Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don’t get what you mean by menu bar compromises? The height of the screen is going to be bigger than usual so I struggle to see what the compromise is here. Nothing we had has been lost.

I like thin bezels too, and will be ordering an xps 15 tomorrow unless the new MBP finally looks nice and modern and isn’t overly expensive.
It depends on how the cursor interact# with the notch. If I knew that all my apps menus would be on the left side of the notch it wouldn’t be an issue but apps like Photoshop have long menu bar items that will split across the notch. Probably not a big deal on the 16”, but more on the 14”.

Last edited:

aibo82

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Smh. NOBODY wants a ****ing notch on our laptops. We didn't want it on our phones and we sure as hell don't want it here.
It was always there you never looked hard enough…. Mwahahaha!

CEAD8EA9-0B7A-4C10-9F0E-70EA808D363D.jpeg

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
“And since we had to create a custom display, that no one else in the industry uses and is exclusively manufactured for us and us alone in low quantities, we managed to keep production costs down and are proud to announce the entry level price of the new MacBooks with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD will only be $2999 and we think you’re going to love it!” /s

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
“And since we had to create a custom display, that no one else in the industry uses and is exclusively manufactured for us and us alone in low quantities, we managed to keep production costs down and are proud to announce the entry level price of the new MacBooks with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD will only be $2999 and we think you’re going to love it!” /s
Given that, I just don't see the notch happening, unless it's on the outside of the screen, rather than a knockout.

Reactions: BuddyTronic

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
Again, I don't follow. You increase the size of the screen and then you cut 5 mm off the long side, that is your new aspect ratio. Then you cut two tabs from the 5mm you just removed and reattach them. You have now added pixels to the screen. You have more pixels than previous generation devices, still have all the pixels of your new aspect ratio PLUS the tabs.

It's more.

Then you just update the OS to manage to move the menu bar to the tabs and you don't allow full-screen apps to use the menubar area. And finally, we can have menu bars always visible in full-screen apps instead of the annoying auto-hide solution they have now.

The MBAir is 13.3 inches. If they increase it to 14 and take a 'notch' you will still end up with more pixels.
Right now, you fling the mouse to the top of the screen and you reach the menubar. What happens if there's a notch? Does the mouse fling above the menubar because it's been moved below the notch? Or is the menubar now split in two because of the notch?

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Notch much ? (Oh there I go with another "frivolous post"! :) )
<g>

I know I go way overboard on the notch, but I really just don't like it. Besides thinking it's just plain ugly, there's something about it that disturbs my want of symmetry. (need?)

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Right now, you fling the mouse to the top of the screen and you reach the menubar. What happens if there's a notch? Does the mouse fling above the menubar because it's been moved below the notch? Or is the menubar now split in two because of the notch?
I’d suggest splitting it in half. Most apps don’t use the middle of the menu bar anyway.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Just remember that any illustration on a rumor story was just a sketch done by a journalist and does not represent how an actual product will look in anything but very broad terms. People on here so often get caught up arguing about whether a design look good or not based on one of the speculative mockups. They are not real.
Good point. Journalism isn't a forte of mine, so I probably do put way too much faith in illustrations like that.

Reactions: Tagbert

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
well that's really stupid..a laptop easily can accommodate those cameras around edges and there is zero reason for it to be bezel-less.a notch on a Macbook? WTF?

Reactions: Jynto

TheHammer

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2017
Am I the only one who wants the notch or see the notch as "adding" to the MacBook functionality, and not taking things away? I understand it's different, any fair that everyone needs to like it. But if the information contained in or the menu bar can be on either side, it only adds more room for content. Im sure that full screen apps will or have the option to black out and not be visible.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Idk about "look much nicer". Think today's Air looks very nice first of all, but also if the redesigned iMac is an indication of a different color scheme for entry-level, I wonder if I'll like it at all. Think if the keyboard and the keyboard area is white and features a thin white bezel..

Regardless I will probably get one as they're slated for around where I can upgrade ;o

People worried about notch haven't been following the rumors closely enough. It's indicated the laptops will feature a forehead as per usual, just that the forehead is made of the camera array and pixels (with local dimming thanks to mini-LED) that can light up and feature additional status indicators and the like. Blocking out UI elements with a notch would be suicide for a Pro-line.

The mockup pictures making it look all iphone style is maybe what's making it confusing. Keep in mind they are just that, mockups!

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Honestly, call me gullible, but I'm inclined to believe these notcho rumours, mainly because of the 16:10 + 74 resolution leak in macOS Monterey for the MacBook Pros. Those resolutions simply don't make sense to me, unless there was a specific reason to implement them, and that notch -- plus curved top corners -- is the perfect reason.

macbook-pro-2021-resolutions.jpg

To capitalize on this notch hysteria, Apple is creating a new series called Notcho Libre, starring Jack Black.
Here's the animated short:

I believe one of the characters is named Max.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
It depends on how the cursor interact# with the notch. If I knew that all my apps menus would be on the left side of the notch it wouldn’t be an issue but apps like Photoshop have long menu bar items that will split across the notch. Probably not a big deal on the 16”, but more on the 14”.
There are a few solutions.
1. Adobe can fix their software to be compliant with new hardware.
2. The menu could scroll.
3. The menu could extend after the notch.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
There are a few solutions.
1. Adobe can fix their software to be compliant with new hardware.
2. The menu could scroll.
3. The menu could extend after the notch.
Couldn't Monterey just default the non-compliant apps to the safe area (which is below the notch)? The safe area is a standard 16:10 screen after all.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Maybe they're planning to have it look iike this, making the extra space on either side of the notch black so it's not visually distracting:

1634524749780.png

Reactions: Lukkee24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.