Macbook Air Issues-Apple Store Visit

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gan6660, Jul 2, 2010.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Hi, I have a 1st gen Macbook Air and it is having some serious issues. First the screen gets scrambled images sometimes, second the display has about 1 inch of free play, third the Apple logo on the back lid blinks when the computer is in sleep mode, fourth the 9,L,O,/,. do not work and cause 4 random letters to appear when pressed. Now I bought this used on ebay and it is still under Apple care but the previous owner did send it in for service due to the scrambled image (I was not told it was sent in when I bought it) but Apple denied the repair do to a "dent" in the upper left corner. Now the "dent" is no more than a scratch so I called Applecare and they told me what I just send and that I should bring it to an apple store and tell them what I said about the "dent" not causing the screen issues since it is a known problem and has a support page on apple.com. So I have an appointment for Tuesday and was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting their MBA repaired for one or more of these issues? Also since it has so many problems do you think they will replace it will a refurb/new computer? Thanks.

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

You might get lucky. A lot of people have had their original MBA's swapped out for a v 2,1 MBA. Your best bet is to complain about it failing to be like every Mac you have owned before it... and mention how it doesn't meet up to your expectations for an Apple product. Good luck.

3. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Thanks Scottsdale thats what I was thinking of doing and Im glad someone else agrees that is what to do.

4. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Stress how important it is to be not without your Mac at all and what inconvenience this issue has caused you. Coming from a Rev. C SSD owner, the new ones are the perfect ultraportable IMO.

6. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Thanks will do. Anymore?

7. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

If you've had it in for previous repairs make sure to point it out, looks like someone did that and they were a little more inclined to replace the machine since he had his logic board and other serious parts replaced before.

8. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

It has been sent in before but they denied the claim because of a "dent" on the upper left corner, but the "dent" is no more than a scratch. But I will point that out thanks!

9. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Went to the Apple Store today and without a question they said they will replace the screen, topcase and logic board and the repairs will be done in 5-7 days. Great news.

10. still in school macrumors 6502

should have sent your gf in so you can get a brand new one straight off the shelf:D

11. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

I have heard of that happening but I just need to find a gf first.:eek:

12. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Well got the computer back on Monday and now the wifi doesnt work. Its also missing a screw on the bottom case. I called applecare and they had me reset my airport extreme and something on the computer but neither worked. Then he had me have the MBA check for damage on the hard drive by holding down the shift key on startup. The computer was on the apple screen for 20 minutes before it just shutoff. Then it would no longer boot. The applecare guy scheduled mail in service but under the "issue" heading he just put that the hard drive didnt mount and nothing about the wifi issue. Now a supervisor was the one who had me hold down the shift key and he is the one who setup the repair and he told me that if the computer isnt fixed after this repair to give him a call (he gave me his phone#) and that he would take care of me.

Anyone else have this many issues? I mean I knew the rev. a was bad but I didnt know it was this bad.

13. paeza macrumors regular

paeza

I almost bought today because it is so cheap now. Anyone have an idea about Rev B? R they ok? looking to buy one

14. still in school macrumors 6502

Go to your local Apple and ask to speak to a Manager on duty. Express to him that you received your computer back in an inferior shape. Tell him you do not want to waste any more time and you really need your laptop for business/school purposes.

15. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

B/C are much improved that's why the op is trying to get his swapped for a C.

16. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

That what I pretty much did on the phone and thats why I was transfered to a supervisor. I thought that they were just going to replace it because the original rep said that he is just going to transfer me to a supervisor so that he can take care of me. Does anyone know that if you do get it replacced with a rev. c is it brand new in the retail box?

17. Pixellated macrumors 65816

It will be.

18. mangrove macrumors 6502

Keep us informed about this since I have an original which, touch wood, is running flawlessly up until now. Thanks.

19. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Well, I would say with one more issue, they will be forced to upgrade it to a rev B/C refurbished. However, they could just give you an original refurbished if the problem isn't based on its failures as far as overheating with the Merom CPU and Intel 3100.

Good luck!

20. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

I will. Apple finished the repair and seems they already shipped it back so I should get it tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

Good to hear. Im kind of hoping that its not fixed right because I would much rather have a rev b/c.

21. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Got it back today but now the usb port doesnt work. Im on the phone with Apple now, so Ill see what they say.

22. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Apple wants to repair it one more time. They said this time they want to replace the logic board but if something else is still wrong they will issues a replacement.

23. dk152 macrumors newbie

I hope you get a replacement after all the troubles you went through... I too have an original MBA, which has been okay except heat and fan.

24. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

it will probably be refurb but will look brand new and be in a new box

25. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Either ones ok with me, I just dont want this one anymore.