Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

still in school

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2009
Well, I would say with one more issue, they will be forced to upgrade it to a rev B/C refurbished. However, they could just give you an original refurbished if the problem isn't based on its failures as far as overheating with the Merom CPU and Intel 3100.

Good luck!

it will probably be refurb but will look brand new and be in a new box

Apple does NOT give refurbished replacements for items over 1k. I received a new one straight off the shelf when I got a replacement.

Either ones ok with me, I just dont want this one anymore.

How far are you from an actual retail store? You would have MUCH better results talking with them in person. They do not like confrontation and would rather you walk away a happy customer. Their excellent customer service is why I buy their products.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
How far are you from an actual retail store? You would have MUCH better results talking with them in person. They do not like confrontation and would rather you walk away a happy customer. Their excellent customer service is why I buy their products.

The retail store is about 30 minutes away, so not far and I went their the first time to get the screen and topcase replaced. I thought it was the opposite and applecare was able to give you better service. Maybe Ill try the store next time.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Apple does NOT give refurbished replacements for items over 1k. I received a new one straight off the shelf when I got a replacement.

Do you think I would get the SSD model since that one is $1800 which is the original price of the one I have or would I get the hard drive model? What was your situation?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

I have seen them give refurbished many times. If they don't have a refurbished in stock, it's possible for them to give new. This is of course assuming it's an AppleCare replacement and not a new Mac with a problem. For a newly purchased Mac, with a problem, of course they will give you a new one in box.

still in school

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2009
Do you think I would get the SSD model since that one is $1800 which is the original price of the one I have or would I get the hard drive model? What was your situation?

You will get whichever is according to the tier in which you first purchased. If you originally had the low end model then you will be replaced with the current low end model and vice versa.

I originally had the rev a MBA with only 80gb harddrive w/ AppleCare. It first went in for the hinge problem. 2nd time went in for a dead harddrive. This last time was for no audio hardware found (bad controller). They originally wanted to just fix it but my gf expressed that we're tired of taking this in and if she could just talk to a manager on duty. Genius gave her the managers number. She reiterated that she wanted to speak to one on site. Genius then said, "give me a second" and went to the back. A few minutes later, he came back out and just pulled one right off the shelf. The lower 120gb model of course, but I'm not complaining. On this new one I have, the track button is scratching my top lid bezel, but I'm not complaining, I just cut little squares from extra Invisible Shield and stuck it on the lid. Looks a little tacky but "beggars can't be choosers".

I have seen them give refurbished many times. If they don't have a refurbished in stock, it's possible for them to give new. This is of course assuming it's an AppleCare replacement and not a new Mac with a problem. For a newly purchased Mac, with a problem, of course they will give you a new one in box.

When she just asked the Genius if she could get a replacement even if it meant a refurbished one. The genius laughed and said they don't give out refurbished products for items over 1k. Maybe this varies by location or dependent upon if they even carry refurb macbooks.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
You will get whichever is according to the tier in which you first purchased. If you originally had the low end model then you will be replaced with the current low end model and vice versa.

I originally had the rev a MBA with only 80gb harddrive w/ AppleCare. It first went in for the hinge problem. 2nd time went in for a dead harddrive. This last time was for no audio hardware found (bad controller). They originally wanted to just fix it but my gf expressed that we're tired of taking this in and if she could just talk to a manager on duty. Genius gave her the managers number. She reiterated that she wanted to speak to one on site. Genius then said, "give me a second" and went to the back. A few minutes later, he came back out and just pulled one right off the shelf. The lower 120gb model of course, but I'm not complaining. On this new one I have, the track button is scratching my top lid bezel, but I'm not complaining, I just cut little squares from extra Invisible Shield and stuck it on the lid. Looks a little tacky but "beggars can't be choosers".

When she just asked the Genius if she could get a replacement even if it meant a refurbished one. The genius laughed and said they don't give out refurbished products for items over 1k. Maybe this varies by location or dependent upon if they even carry refurb macbooks.

Thanks for the info. Fedex will be picking the MBA up tomorrow so Apple should get it by Wed. and then it will be returned to me by Thursday. If there is another issue Ill probably call applecare and tell them I want a new one and I want to go to the store to pick it up since Im going on vacation and need my laptop.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
You asked what will they replace it with:

I owned a 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo (Mid Range 15" MBP, £1499GBP).

Had 3 Repairs, on the 4th issue: They replaced it with the high end 2.66Ghz i7 (£1799GBP) Brand new in the box sealed.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
You asked what will they replace it with:

I owned a 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo (Mid Range 15" MBP, £1499GBP).

Had 3 Repairs, on the 4th issue: They replaced it with the high end 2.66Ghz i7 (£1799GBP) Brand new in the box sealed.

Did you say anything special to get them to give you the higher end model? Did they say anything else to you? Thanks for your time.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I have one thing to say Apple customer service really is years ahead of anyone else. After all the issues I had with my MBA I decided to email Steve Jobs last night about all the trouble, well today I went out to lunch and came home and my grandma told me Apple called for me. Im like oh great what happen now. Well they called back and the guy introduced himself and said that he was calling on behalf of Steve Jobs about the email I sent last night. He went on to tell me how he looked into my case and talked to the supervisors at the repair center and had them triple check my repair and that it should arrive back to me tomorrow.

mangrove

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
FL, USA
I have one thing to say Apple customer service really is years ahead of anyone else. After all the issues I had with my MBA I decided to email Steve Jobs last night about all the trouble, well today I went out to lunch and came home and my grandma told me Apple called for me. Im like oh great what happen now. Well they called back and the guy introduced himself and said that he was calling on behalf of Steve Jobs about the email I sent last night. He went on to tell me how he looked into my case and talked to the supervisors at the repair center and had them triple check my repair and that it should arrive back to me tomorrow.

Can't wait to hear what tomorrow brings.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Got the MBA back today and guess what it wont turn on.:(
Ill call Apple soon and let you all know what happens.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
goody! :) you get a replacement!!

Just got off the phone with the supervisor and he reviewed the case for about 10 minutes and then got back on the phone and said that the case is being control by one of the bosses who are much higher than he is and that the guy in control of my case was actually put in charge of it my the man he called Mr. Jobs after he had received my email the other night. The rep said he is going to contact the guy in charge and either him or the guy in charge will call me back today or first thing tomorrow. So we'll see what happens.

oilfighter

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
Just got off the phone with the supervisor and he reviewed the case for about 10 minutes and then got back on the phone and said that the case is being control by one of the bosses who are much higher than he is and that the guy in control of my case was actually put in charge of it my the man he called Mr. Jobs after he had received my email the other night. The rep said he is going to contact the guy in charge and either him or the guy in charge will call me back today or first thing tomorrow. So we'll see what happens.

man... I hope it works out for you. Sucks that you can't use the computer ever since you've received it.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Did anyone ever hear of Apple Corporate Executive Relations ?

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Got a call from a man at Apple Corporate Executive Relations that said he contacted the supervisor at the repair plant who had tested the computer the day before and that supervisor said he was very interested in testing the computer again since it was "working" when he had sent it out the day before. So back again it goes. At this point I just want a working computer.

The Catalyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2009
Sorry to hear of all your troubles. But damn, it sure does make for an interesting read!

Here's hoping you get upgraded to a newer/better unit asap.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Wow,

this is quite the read.

I can't believe that the last time it shipped it was DOA.

RU sure OP? That is just nuts.:eek:

Im sure. I let it charge for 2 hours until the charging light turned green and still nothing. Apple tried one of their techniques and it still didnt work. As of right now the plan is that Apple will ship the box and Ill get it tomorrow and then I am to ship it back to them once again. I may run it down to the fedex depot this time though since Im going on vacation next week so I want to try and sort this out before I leave. Anway the guy told me that once they receive it they will do some test that they do and then they will call me with choices as to what to do. Im not sure what those choices will be though.

AreanFSL

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
Whoa! With all the replacing, shipping, fixing, customer satisfaction, headache, etc., I think it would be cheaper if they just sent you a replacement or refurb. Rev B/C.

You're too nice, definitely put your foot down the next time you speak with a representative and demand a newer model.

I kind of wish I had your problem so I had a legitimate excuse to have it replaced. My Rev A in the summer pisses me off. heats up like a mofo for no reason (Chrome 3-4 websites open + iTunes) and fans won't shut up.

Best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.