Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacBook 'Brick' Codename Speculation

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

There's been some speculation amongst the mac web about a codename ("Brick") associated with the upcoming MacBook update.

The name originates from 9to5Mac, apparently based on the same Asian sources as the "rainbow" iPod Nanos. The "rainbow" iPod nano rumors were apparently misinterpreted as multi-colored individual iPods, but in retrospect, it seems the term instead related to the colors of the rainbow that the new iPod nano are now available in.

Since then, the site has been told that the new MacBook update will be 'all about the Brick'. The exact meaning of which is left up for debate.

Some are speculating that it is a completely separate device, but based on 9to5's reports it seems clear it has to do specifically with the MacBook which is also rumored to have a glass touchpad.

Article Link

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
More sharp edges instead of the curvier Macbook Air design?

The current Macbook is a blend between the MBA and MBP in terms of design, so maybe they are going for a more aggressive look?

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
"Brick" usually has rather poor connotations. I'm surprised to hear the name used this way.

The heaviest Mac ever?

Comment

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
^ Return of the Pismo? Modular drive bays?

Brick…might also mean we are finally getting a G5 notebook.

Comment

alana22

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Seattle
Please let it be a "macbook touch" tablet type thing. All I need is a larger touchscreen device with 1 USB port and I'm set ;)

Comment

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
My guess would be that the Macbook wont need the 'brick' power supply any more.

I've noticed more and more devices coming with smaller transformers. The one for my nokia E71 is tiny for example, about 3/4 the size of a 9volt battery.

However i'd hope it would be something more like a MacMini replacement with interchangable MXM graphics

Comment

mca7

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
I read reports its a wireless hub for firewire/usb and wireless charging station. Time will tell.

Comment

DSG

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Anything new?

Sorry, but does this contain anything beyond the original article, which was published almost 2 weeks ago?

Comment

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
Or a the MacBook can also be used as a Tablet. An laptop-tablet convertible.

What a brilliant idea. :D

Comment

Jak3

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
well, I guess they are setting the standard low so they catch us off balance when they release some nifty new feature...

Comment

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
And since "brick" is also slang for a power supply this could all just be about new power supplies and nothing else.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.