Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Daz said:
Hmm, I dunno how the store's work, but if I was Apple and did this, I'd do it in the middle of the night for each site..
Doesn't make sense to take down every worldwide store just for hidden changes.. but then, I dunno :)

Now imagine you are an Apple freak (like many of us here) and you see that the MacBook is available in Australia but not in the US because of time differences, or visa versa. You want to order one and will do the nano second your local store is up, but in waiting your order is 75,000th in the queue and not the 5,000th it might have been had you been able to buy it at the same time as everyone else.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
So you guys are ABSOLUTELY sure that I should just order online to get it as quickly as possible rather than going down to the Regent Street Apple Store?

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
netdog said:
So you guys are ABSOLUTELY sure that I should just order online to get it as quickly as possible rather than going down to the Regent Street Apple Store?

Examine your heart. Only you can truly know the answer.

(zen mode off)

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
netdog said:

I'd want to actually read the tech specs before I buy it. The best thing that could happen at the Regent Street store is the staff bring them out in some kind of parade but I doubt it.

jonhallewell

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2005
A year ago I went through all the hype before ordering my fitsr Mac - 20" iMac, nanoseconds after launch. Talked my friend into it. He went up to London and brought one at Regent Street, and mine arrived 2 weeks later. Only bummer is, I can only get the educational pricing online or over the phone. Taking my time, this time.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
kerpow said:
I'd want to actually read the tech specs before I buy it. The best thing that could happen at the Regent Street store is the staff bring them out in some kind of parade but I doubt it.

Your in the store now?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
jonhallewell said:
A year ago I went through all the hype before ordering my fitsr Mac - 20" iMac, nanoseconds after launch. Talked my friend into it. He went up to London and brought one at Regent Street, and mine arrived 2 weeks later. Only bummer is, I can only get the educational pricing online or over the phone. Taking my time, this time.

Regent Street offers educational pricing.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
netdog said:

Go into the online store when it's up again, set up the order to the point of confirmation and buy it.

Then you can browse the specs and hear other opinions. If they convince you that you have made the wrong decision, phone the store and cancel the order... it's as simple as that.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
aswitcher said:
Your in the store now?

No, about a 10 min walk away. I'm not sure I'd want to be though, it seems more fun on a board like this. A store would just be full of the usual tourists checking their email oblivious to what is REALLY happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.