Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

01kevinpiana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, I have a Macbook Pro Mid 2014 A1502 with a left click issue. I am a computer technician so I am familiar with most repairs and have attempted most things already that other people have on similar forums.

So the track pad lets me move the pointer around and I can right click on things, but if I try to left click it wont work. When I try plugging in a external mouse(I tried wireless and Wired) it does the same thing, everything works except left clicking. I do not have any Bluetooth mouses activate and I also have Bluetooth turned off.

I Have tried using using mouse keys(which is enabled by clicking the option key 5 times), using this I was able to use my keyboard to click on things in order to access system prefrences. I went to trackpad settings and tried turning on tap to click. This did not fix the problem, however I noticed that very rarely sometimes this does work when I tap, but this only randomly started working twice for a few seconds within the past 4 hours or trouble shooting.

I have opened up the Macbook pro and adjusted the trackpad screw as well, that didnt fix it either. I also tried checking the setting to deactivate the trackpad when my wired mouse is plugged in, it did deactivate the trackpad, but it still wont left click.

Any idea what else I could try or what the problem is?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
If the problem is apparent with an external mouse then chances are that the issue is not the hardware, it's likely somewhere in the software. Can you boot to Recovery or Internet Recovery and try it there?

deadfoot

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2018
If the problem is apparent with an external mouse then chances are that the issue is not the hardware, it's likely somewhere in the software. Can you boot to Recovery or Internet Recovery and try it there?

Sorry if this is a 'necro' but I am experiencing the exact same issue as the OP on this thread and have tried all the same steps as him except i could not access a trackpad screw. ive also cleared plist files and tried a new user.

I went into recovery mode and had a recovery from may (which is before the issue AFAIK) and no change. the problem was present in the recovery mode as well (had to tab + space to get around)

The only thing left that I can think of (other than an OS reinstall, see below) is changing out the actual trackpad, but just like what Hallux said above, I do not think it is the hardware because the same thing is happening with a working external mouse!
Unless the failure on the trackpad (maybe a click button is toast or gummed up?) is the reason why the external mouse isnt able to click either... is that a possibility?

Has anyone found a solution to this issue if it is software related?

The owner of the system is a super paranoid data freak so i am hesitant on reinstalling the OS and loosing all his data.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
A normal "Reinstall" doesn't format your disk and doesn't affect your data. Having said that there's not a guarantee that something won't go wrong. So...back up your stuff.

Have you tested with a mouse that isn't Bluetooth? You didn't say. If you did, turn BT off and try it again. BT interference is a possible cause.

Do you own any other Bluetooth input devices?

I had a customer recently with an erratic mouse in Windows and it turned out that one of the keyboard keys was sticking.

deadfoot

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2018
BT is turned off. been using both a wireless (2.4ghz) mouse and a corded one. have it set to disable trackpad when a mouse is connected. i was able to use mouse keys to select right button as the primary button so I can use a mouse to get around the system (worst work around ever).

i opened the keyboard viewer and nothing appears stuck (lit), and all keyboard buttons light up when pressed and turn off when released.

I will get him to bring over his airport/timemachine hub so i can do a backup and try the reinstall option and see how that goes, after that the next step is for him to take it into a shop cause I am stumped!

Nightwing32

macrumors member
May 5, 2018
Hello, I have a Macbook Pro Mid 2014 A1502 with a left click issue. I am a computer technician so I am familiar with most repairs and have attempted most things already that other people have on similar forums.

So the track pad lets me move the pointer around and I can right click on things, but if I try to left click it wont work. When I try plugging in a external mouse(I tried wireless and Wired) it does the same thing, everything works except left clicking. I do not have any Bluetooth mouses activate and I also have Bluetooth turned off.

I Have tried using using mouse keys(which is enabled by clicking the option key 5 times), using this I was able to use my keyboard to click on things in order to access system prefrences. I went to trackpad settings and tried turning on tap to click. This did not fix the problem, however I noticed that very rarely sometimes this does work when I tap, but this only randomly started working twice for a few seconds within the past 4 hours or trouble shooting.

I have opened up the Macbook pro and adjusted the trackpad screw as well, that didnt fix it either. I also tried checking the setting to deactivate the trackpad when my wired mouse is plugged in, it did deactivate the trackpad, but it still wont left click.

Any idea what else I could try or what the problem is?
Did you ever fix this?

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
Not mentioned previously in this thread is checking for a swollen battery (dangerous).
That's what I was going to say too. I had this happen with my last mbp and that's what the issue was. Even though the battery looked ok when I opened the back of the laptop, it was still swollen on the other side.

Nightwing32

macrumors member
May 5, 2018
Not mentioned previously in this thread is checking for a swollen battery (dangerous).
I brought it to the mac store and they said the trackpad died... when I get it replaced, will they check the battery as well? Also, they ran a diagnostic test, would it be able to diagnose battery swelling?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.