Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Hi, I don't really know that much how fan works and all but I used to have a MacBook Pro 2016 13inch and the fan never has/became negative rpm with lots of numbers. Now I have a MacBook Pro 15inch, 2.6ghz 16gb ram and 512gb and system pal shows that my fans are sometimes on negative side and lots of numbers then back to just regular numbers? Am I reading it wrong or looking at the wrong thing? I just wanna make sure theres nothing wrong with my laptop as I've never seen my old one like that.

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 9.26.59 PM.png

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I’m sure there is nothing wrong with your laptop. Stop looking for problems and enjoy your new machine.

Reactions: HenryDJP

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I’m sure there is nothing wrong with your laptop. Stop looking for problems and enjoy your new machine.

I hope there really is not! I wasn't really paying attention to it until I've touched my laptop today while it was on sleep, I noticed that it was fairly warm. the lid was close and no application was open. the fans are always running (which I've read in some forums they say its normal for 15inch for the fans to be always on. Thats why I checked the fan rpm and I noticed that its sometimes negative. Ive tried googling up what does the -rpm means but I couldn't find an answer. so I was hoping someone can answer me here.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Delete that app. Download istat menu. Your machine will run hot the first 24-36 hours from indexing. Relax and give it a few days.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I hope there really is not...
Sorry I was a bit short at first. Certainly it's possible that your machine might be faulty but it is definitely not likely. Also, we know the fan RPM cannot be negative, so the more likely cause for what you see is just a bad app. These machines do tend to run warm when the CPU is tasked. I agree with IngerMan. Wait a few days. But even then it'll get warm or even hot occasionally. That's all normal and if it gets too hot it automatically shuts down. So unless it's shutting down, you are fine.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Delete that app. Download istat menu. Your machine will run hot the first 24-36 hours from indexing. Relax and give it a few days.

can you recommend another application that shows the fan information too? is the fan for 15inch really loud? I started playing sims 4 and the fan was loud it never stops spinning. I checked the temperature in system pal it only went up till 68C but the fans were so loud. my MacBook Pro 13 non Touch Bar was not this loud.
[doublepost=1540704001][/doublepost]
Sorry I was a bit short at first. Certainly it's possible that your machine might be faulty but it is definitely not likely. Also, we know the fan RPM cannot be negative, so the more likely cause for what you see is just a bad app. These machines do tend to run warm when the CPU is tasked. I agree with IngerMan. Wait a few days. But even then it'll get warm or even hot occasionally. That's all normal and if it gets too hot it automatically shuts down. So unless it's shutting down, you are fine.

its okay! I downloaded the istats menu as suggested. this is what I got, I just have 2 safari tabs opened (youtube and this forum). any thoughts? I'm sorry, I just wanna make sure that it is not faulty, the last time I had my MacBook Pro 13inch 2016 it was so faulty it literally needed repair 3 times. First one was when I literally just got it after a month and I had to wait 2 weeks to get it back. so now I want to take action asap so instead of them repairing it and having to deal with the long wait time, id rather have it exchanged thats why I'm checking everything now. I hope I'm not sounding silly! lol

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 1.13.10 AM.png

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
can you recommend another application that shows the fan information too? is the fan for 15inch really loud? I started playing sims 4 and the fan was loud it never stops spinning. I checked the temperature in system pal it only went up till 68C but the fans were so loud. my MacBook Pro 13 non Touch Bar was not this loud.
[doublepost=1540704001][/doublepost]

its okay! I downloaded the istats menu as suggested. this is what I got, I just have 2 safari tabs opened (youtube and this forum). any thoughts? I'm sorry, I just wanna make sure that it is not faulty, the last time I had my MacBook Pro 13inch 2016 it was so faulty it literally needed repair 3 times. First one was when I literally just got it after a month and I had to wait 2 weeks to get it back. so now I want to take action asap so instead of them repairing it and having to deal with the long wait time, id rather have it exchanged thats why I'm checking everything now. I hope I'm not sounding silly! lol

View attachment 798910
yes, its ok. The fans on 15" are always running even at idle. The temperatures are ok if you have youtube opened

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.