MacBook Pro cracked glass trackpad!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icecold0913, Jan 12, 2009.

1. icecold0913 macrumors member

I am so upset because the trackpad on my gorgeous new 15" unibody MacBook Pro is cracked! I was iChating in my bed and a picture frame fell off the shelf from above me and onto the trackpad! The glass cracks much easier than I thought! The machine is still under warranty (30 days) so I'm hoping Apple will fix it when I take it in this week! Unibody MacBook owners beware-- the trackpad is most definitely glass and cracks easily!

2. felt. macrumors 6502a

3. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

Apple won't cover that Accidental Coverage...

I think.

4. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Somewhere on this forum, there are pics of a cracked MB trackpad from a month or two ago. It cracks just as easily as other glass of similar size would. Did you expect that it would be more durable than glass?:confused:

5. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I would actually like to see a picture of this as well. I didn't think it could crack so easily... probably because it doesn't even feel like glass.

6. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

7. sal macrumors 6502

agree. post pics

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Warranty doesn't cover physical damage.

9. milamber macrumors regular

That's not technically true. If it is a physical defect/damage which is due to an inherent fault then they will replace it. My old macbook's palmrest was yellowing and they replaced that under warranty.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Defect is different from damage. Defect comes from the factory. Damage occurs after the user takes possession. Read your warranty if you're not sure:

11. milamber macrumors regular

What if it is easily damaged becase of a defect? I love it how it lists all the natural disasters. It might as well list 'divine intervention' just to cover the bases.

12. argos4000 macrumors member

Whoa... Never knew it was possible!

Lol.

Yeah... same... :\

Well, he/she'll probably have to pay ~$100 (Maybe?) for a repair/replacement or something... :\

Yup. :)

13. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

they might, accidentally

14. AndyCro macrumors member

lie.

Although the Geneii will hunt you down if they catch wind and 'deal with you' :p

15. kolax macrumors G3

16. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

That's painful to even look at!! :(

maybe if they wont cover it and its costs a million bucks to fix it...
    maybe you can find a skin or something to put over it?
    (one with a design, quite obviously)
    Might even kinda look cool? :eek:

17. kolax macrumors G3

Cracked trackpad requires a whole new top casing apparently..

So $300 or something.

18. icecold0913 thread starter macrumors member

umm, yeah, so I'm now one of those tools that posts "ZOMG I JUST SPILLED COFFEE ON MY NEWWW MACBOOK!!!!1!!"

:-(

It was seriously a freak accident and definitely one of the most fail moments of my life. I baby this thing like it's my own child; apparently I need to get a bulletproof case for it, though.

I expect Apple to replace it free of charge because it was an accident, and not a result of abuse. If they want to charge me $300 I will cut a bitch.

Just need to take it in to find out...

19. semitry macrumors member

lol good luck with that.

20. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I seriously wouldn't go in there expecting them to replace that free. It's physical damage which isn't covered. Sure, it was an accident, but it was your own fault. Makes sense you should have to pay for it.

Sometimes Apple goes above and beyond, but that kind of damage is rarely covered in any case, no matter the story.

21. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

OMG, this is too laughable. The OP is NOT going to get what he wants. Yes, it WAS an accident...BUT..isn't everything an accident? Does the OP think that everyone else that damages their laptop does it out of malicious intent? NO. Apple will NOT cover it and you pitching a &^*$(# will be a big mistake, they will send you out the door.
    Sorry to be harsh but you have to pay for that mistake.

22. felt. macrumors 6502a

chicks dig scars... and by scars I mean cracked trackpads, is the usability affected at all or is it purely aesthetic?

23. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

LoL. Abuse doesn't mean that it had to be intentional. Abuse in this situation is failure to adequately situate the machine so nothing could fall on it. If I went skydiving and 'accidentially' dropped my macbook out of a plane am I not abusing it?

I'd love to be the manager of the store you went to. Do you honestly believe what you just said? If you really want it to go down you had better fabricated a story about how you were unboxing it and it was just there but you hadn't had a chance to take it back lol. Either one will get you thrown out. Thanks for the laugh.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

:rolleyes: