Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBorg20181

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This sounds really weird to me, its not that I dont believe you its just that even my pb12 that I had prior to this MBP had some graininess. Do you really not see any graininess whatsoever on your display? None? Or is it just bearable? I dont know what to think or do, if its a defect I want to return it...if its the way of the MBP screen Ill live with it, its not killing me. I was in the Apple Store here in Gothenburg yesterday and they still have the Yonahs on display and they were also "grainy". This is really messing with my head...keep it or return it....hmm.

None, nada, zilch! And as I said, I'm very picky about my notebook screens!

BTW, the PB 12" used the same ultra-cheap screen that the 12" iBook used, which couldn't hold a candle to the 15" and 17" PBs, which used high-quality screens (well, at least until the last-gen AluBooks, which used a cheaper screen). This was a major complaint about the "Little Al" as compared to its larger brethren.

iBorg

pbmikez

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Referring to the Notebook Forums thread in the original post: I skimmed through that and the last few posts have stated that a BIOS update from the notebook manufacturer/vendor has fixed the problem. Their reported problem was graininess resulting from the video card, and so it's not actually a problem with the screens used in the notebooks.

Instead of returning the MBPs, shouldn't users with graininess take it up with Apple instead? :confused:

Yes, a VGA BIOS update fixed the problem but the community themselves took initiative to narrow the problem down to the GPU itself, rather than the display. I don't have the resources to test to see whether it's the GPU or the panel itself which is causing the problems which was the reason for creating this thread. I'm looking to see out of the people that purchased MBPs have had this issue, and how many have not. I will be heading to an Apple store today to hear what kind of BS explanation they'd like to give me and if I get an answer such as "it's the nature of the displays", I will be raising hell with Apple. ;)

iBorg20181

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Yes, a VGA BIOS update fixed the problem but the community themselves took initiative to narrow the problem down to the GPU itself, rather than the display. I don't have the resources to test to see whether it's the GPU or the panel itself which is causing the problems which was the reason for creating this thread. I'm looking to see out of the people that purchased MBPs have had this issue, and how many have not. I will be heading to an Apple store today to hear what kind of BS explanation they'd like to give me and if I get an answer such as "it's the nature of the displays", I will be raising hell with Apple. ;)

Sounds like all you can do - if they don't give you satisfaction at the store, I'd try tech support to get a replacement!

iBorg

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Or ..... perhaps you're wrong in assuming that all MBPs have this issue!

I'm a very demanding consumer on screen quality, and this is a flawless screen, better/brighter than my son's MacBook, or my Acer screen. No "graininess," no "dark spots," no "uneven lighting," nothing.

I'm not refuting claims of those with screen problems, just claims that all MBP screens have them.

:)

iBorg

Perhaps I am wrong, but I find it very hard to believe that you have some special one-off MacBook Pro. The question here is one of perception - you may well feel your display is "perfect" and "flawless". I've seen dozens of MBPs over months of time and they've all had the grain problem. All of them, bar none. I've used tons and tons of different LCD screens on laptops and externally and have never once seen grain this bad. So no, I have not seen every MBP ever made, but I'm statistically safe to extrapolate to state this is an endemic problem.

I know we are talking about the grain problem, but are you also saying that your MBP screen has perfect viewing angles, that you get no colour shift whatsoever irrespective of your angle of view? Because if you are, then you truly have a prototype MBP that left Steve Jobs' office and somehow ended up in your hands. Laptop screens like this don't exist for the consumer (yet).

pbmikez

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Perhaps I am wrong, but I find it very hard to believe that you have some special one-off MacBook Pro. The question here is one of perception - you may well feel your display is "perfect" and "flawless". I've seen dozens of MBPs over months of time and they've all had the grain problem. All of them, bar none. I've used tons and tons of different LCD screens on laptops and externally and have never once seen grain this bad. So no, I have not seen every MBP ever made, but I'm statistically safe to extrapolate to state this is an endemic problem.

I know we are talking about the grain problem, but are you also saying that your MBP screen has perfect viewing angles, that you get no colour shift whatsoever irrespective of your angle of view? Because if you are, then you truly have a prototype MBP that left Steve Jobs' office and somehow ended up in your hands. Laptop screens like this don't exist for the consumer (yet).

While you're most likely right, I can't help but hope you're not. What I'm hoping for is a BIOS fix, or a fix to the way the dithering is being worked on the panel. All these advertisements for Apple with the "if he can do it, I can do it better" mentality, the PC side fixed the grain problem...

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
While you're most likely right, I can't help but hope you're not. What I'm hoping for is a BIOS fix, or a fix to the way the dithering is being worked on the panel. All these advertisements for Apple with the "if he can do it, I can do it better" mentality, the PC side fixed the grain problem...

I hope I'm wrong too, but the evidence is there. PC laptops with the X1600 having a very similar problem seals it for me. The hope is that a firmware/driver can fix it. I truly want this - I want a perfect flawless laptop just like iBorg's ;)

pbmikez

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
I hope I'm wrong too, but the evidence is there. PC laptops with the X1600 having a very similar problem seals it for me. The hope is that a firmware/driver can fix it. I truly want this - I want a perfect flawless laptop just like iBorg's ;)

Similar? I think it's more like the same exact problem, lol. An update fixed it for them but only after Ken from GenTech used his Intel contacts. All we can do on our part is bring this to the attention of Apple. That, and if we can bring more attention of this issue to the people as a whole, this might cause some bigger media source to investigate it further and make it a bigger issue. Spread the word guys and have 'em post back over here and on other forums.

edit: I want iBorg's lappy too. :)

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Similar? I think it's more like the same exact problem, lol. An update fixed it for them but only after Ken from GenTech used his Intel contacts. All we can do on our part is bring this to the attention of Apple. That, and if we can bring more attention of this issue to the people as a whole, this might cause some bigger media source to investigate it further and make it a bigger issue. Spread the word guys and have 'em post back over here and on other forums.

What about letting Ken know?

pbmikez

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
What about letting Ken know?

You know what? I feel completely dumb for not even thinking about that. I guess I'll get right on it :p.

In the meantime, any owners of the MBP are encouraged to post your experiences with your displays.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Or ..... perhaps you're wrong in assuming that all MBPs have this issue!

I'm a very demanding consumer on screen quality, and this is a flawless screen, better/brighter than my son's MacBook, or my Acer screen. No "graininess," no "dark spots," no "uneven lighting," nothing.

I'm not refuting claims of those with screen problems, just claims that all MBP screens have them.

:)

iBorg

Ok good, please post your screen model number under System Prefs -> Display -> Color -> Open Profile

No viewing angle funkiness too?

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
This sounds really weird to me, its not that I dont believe you its just that even my pb12 that I had prior to this MBP had some graininess. Do you really not see any graininess whatsoever on your display? None? Or is it just bearable? I dont know what to think or do, if its a defect I want to return it...if its the way of the MBP screen Ill live with it, its not killing me. I was in the Apple Store here in Gothenburg yesterday and they still have the Yonahs on display and they were also "grainy". This is really messing with my head...keep it or return it....hmm.

The graininess is bearable.

The colour shifts due to the narrow viewing angle is bearable.

But this **** has both. That makes it totally unbearable.

Wow, just 10 minutes since I got up and my eyes already feel it. This screen definitely sucks.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
The graininess is bearable.

The colour shifts due to the narrow viewing angle is bearable.

But this **** has both. That makes it totally unbearable.

Wow, just 10 minutes since I got up and my eyes already feel it. This screen definitely sucks.

Mines going back...fot the graininess, uneven lighting and a couple of other issues. If my new mbp has the same problems Im going elsewhere. The Macbook is NOT an option for me.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Mines going back...fot the graininess, uneven lighting and a couple of other issues. If my new mbp has the same problems Im going elsewhere. The Macbook is NOT an option for me.

I will probably live with it and use external monitors all the time now... and meanwhile hope during MWSF a new revision is released.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Here's their new favourite catchline.

"Within specifications"

Thats not what I got, they said they had never heard of it but they were very accomodating and willing to switch it for a new one.

Of course they did ask me to bring it in at first but I said: Yeah right...

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Thats so weird...Exactly the same thing with mine! My girlfriend told me I was going nuts and should leave MR for a while. But I know its there..however its not that big of a deal. I love my MBP.

we should stop listening to our significant others! gosh.. i thought i'd lost my mind..! :p

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
no need for me to contact apple. I have an apple authoized retailor that does repairs just downtown. So I don't have to drive to toronto. I'm gonna try and get repairs on loose display hinge, keyboard and the graininess.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
I have found a way to "hide" this grainy effect.

Go to change desktop background > Nature > the stone wallpaper.

Problem solved. :D

It doesnt bother me too much.

another user has posted pictures of his C2D MBP and a Apple Cinema Display for comparison. He says he has no problem with it.
http://web.mac.com/goulwen.pele/iWeb/Macbook Pro C2D/MPB C2D SCREEN_files/DSC02446.jpg

oh and i looked at some of the desktop Dell LCDs in my university's computer lab. Slight grain still.

miniguu

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
I have found a way to "hide" this grainy effect.

Go to change desktop background > Nature > the stone wallpaper.

LOL.

Anyway I've looked *even closer* at my screen, concluded that there is some graininess, but since I never work with my nose nearly touching the screen, I think I will just deal.

iBorg20181

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Ok good, please post your screen model number under System Prefs -> Display -> Color -> Open Profile

No viewing angle funkiness too?

It's the "9C60," which others have claimed is the better available screen option.

As far as "viewing angle" problems, as with any LCD screen, you get the best view/color/brightness looking straight-dead on - that's the nature of the beast! But since I'm not sharing the view with others (if I'm doing a presentation, I use a projector connection), I don't see any shift, etc., unless I move over 30 degrees or so to one side or the other. For myself, that means that on airlines, I don't have to worry about the dude next to me taking a peek!

Seriously, I otherwise have no uneven lighting, graininess or dark areas in this screen - I couldn't be happier with this baby! If, has been suggested, ol' Steve gave me his "prototype," then ..... so be it!

:D :D :D

iBorg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.