Macbook Pro hitting 128 degrees

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rwood366, Apr 26, 2018.

1. rwood366 macrumors newbie

Description of problem
    For some reason at random times throughout the day the fan will spin up and the computer will become extremely laggy. Although the indicators say it's hitting 128 the computer doesn't get any warmer. The freezing last anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes. I have attached a screenshot from task manager showing the kernal task hitting 958% which obviously isn't normal any suggestions as to why this might be happening would be greatly appreciated.

Spec
    Running macOS High Sierra 10.13.3
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
    Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Cheers
    Robert

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 15.43.53.png IMG_4671.JPG

2. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

More than one thing wrong here!

1. Intel processors protect themselves to stop going over about 105 degC.

2. You say the computer doesn't feel any warmer. If the CPU is really 128 degC it would feel very hot.

What software is reporting that? iStat Menus reports several CPU related temps so if one sensor was faulty it would be more apparent.

However even if the actual reported temp is wrong, something is definitely happening to cause the very high CPU and extreme lagginess. Are there any messages in Console when it happens?

Without more info, I can only suggest standard maintenance/repair activities: such as:

Run Disk First AID booted from Recovery
    Safe Boot clears caches. This also runs First Aid.
    Reset SMC
    Reset NVRAM
    Run full installer on top of existing install (loses no data apps or settings)
    Boot from a bootable installer, erase, reinstall, migrate from backup with Setup Assistant.

3. jerryk, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018

jerryk macrumors 601

Looks the temp sensor or other temp logic failing. 128 being a power of 2 is interesting.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

958% kernel task you have rogue process I’m surprised you can get it to do anything. I would be doing a operating system reinstall at this stage.

5. leman macrumors G3

As others have pointed out, 128C is an impossible temperature for your computer assuming its hardware is fine. I also agree with jerryk that there might be a problem with the thermal sensor. Its impossible for us to say why you get such activity spikes, but usual culprits are (in the decreased order of probability):

- a buggy third-party kernel extension
    - a hardware problem
    - a bug in macOS itself that inly manifests under some borderline conditions that you seem to be hitting