Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reports claim that MacBook Pro supplies are dwindling at major retailers such as Best Buy.
Checks with several popular online stores indicate continued stock, though Best Buy's Canadian affiliate, Future Shop, claims to be out of stock of the 2.2GHz version [of the MacBook Pro].
Apple has been widely expected to upgrade the MacBook Pros to recently released Penryn processors.

Article Link

lucky3killer

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
It seems like new MBP update will be on next Tuesday.

Well, I don't want new MBP update, I'm just happy with currently SR based MBP.

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
A total redesign would be really cool, perhaps a tiny bit thinner... multitouch and new processors

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah, they're also advertising the base model @ Fry's here locally. Been doing that last week too. Weird because I haven't seen MBPs in their ads for a really long time.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
All you can do is hope for the best and expect the worst. I'm taking the Mac Pro's release before MWSF as a sign that they might do the same with the MBPs prior to Apple's end of February event. Then again, I've been so disappointed week after week that I think I'm a little too jaded to truly be excited this time around.

Hope Apple proves me wrong.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
One retailer, a Canadian one at that, out of one model. Ooohh.
Must mean nothing.

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
My local Best Buy is still pushing Oct 2006 MBPs. Don't know what their problem is, but just this past monday they tried to tell me that a MBP with Oct 06 specs was just released "this year" :p

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
This should make a lot of people here happy.

Wait, 1 minute later they will be complaining about one thing or the other.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
This should make a lot of people here happy.

Wait, 1 minute later they will be complaining about one thing or the other.

Yes they will say the update isn't good enough and that they will wait for the next one... then start whinging that that's not out yet.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
My local Best Buy is still pushing Oct 2006 MBPs. Don't know what their problem is, but just this past monday they tried to tell me that a MBP with Oct 06 specs was just released "this year" :p

That's because Best Buy and most of its employees are ignorant and don't know what they're talking about (I, regretably, worked there for a short while..my personal dark age). Best Buy is a good source for tech info about as much as dog crap is a good source for water. But still, I wouldn't doubt MBP stocks are running dry.

brandon.vong

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
Just curious, since I ordered my MBP this past Tuesday the 12th, if an update DOES show up within the next two weeks, is it possible for me to call and get a "refund" for the difference?

joefinan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
Just curious, since I ordered my MBP this past Tuesday the 12th, if an update DOES show up within the next two weeks, is it possible for me to call and get a "refund" for the difference?

Cue the "More fool you for ordering it so close to an update".

How did you order it? Via online, then definitely. Don't open it either way!

GregorBehr

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
I've had too many Tuesday disappointments. I'm ignoring this rumour.

Does this fall under the rumor category?
Its been easy enough to verify that retailers have been running low or have in fact run out of stock on some of their MBPs. Just check their web sites.

We all know an update to the MBP line is coming, its just a matter of when.
One to 4 weeks at the most seems logical at this point. While retailers don't want to sit on outdated stick, they surely don't want to be out of stock either.

Apple isn't blind to the demand for an update. And there could be endless reasons at to why they've stretched the average update time line out so far. Anything from giving the MBA space to build momentum after MWSF, or the rumored delay on the part of Intel on the new processor.

Just like everyone else, I've been chomping at the bit since I decided I wanted a new MBP since mid November. Its frustrating and annoying (and a little bit fun trying to guess what and when something will come out), but I would much rather have a quality product (few as few bugs possible on a new release) and wait a few weeks, than have a slapped together, buggy computer in my hands right now.

brandon.vong

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
Cue the "More fool you for ordering it so close to an update".

How did you order it? Via online, then definitely. Don't open it either way!

I customized and ordered it online. I had a "need" for a new MBP and too many Tuesdays have led to disappointment.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
blah blah blah....

This is sickening. Can we please not have any more MBP rumors? please please please! There's been about a 100 of them this year so far, and none of them have come through (duh!).

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
ooooo is there a new macbook pro coming out?
first ive heard of it....youd think thered be something about it on the rumour sites!

I'M BEING IRONIC!!!

HOW MANY MORE BLOODY TUESDAYS ARE YOU GONNA MAKE US WAIT APPLE????

im going crazy! i thought only microsoft did that to you

*&&^%$##@!@@

what do you guys think???

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
I customized and ordered it online. I had a "need" for a new MBP and too many Tuesdays have led to disappointment.

Since switching to Apple and than all this suspense of whens it coming whens it coming , its just amazing the way the secrecy is kept at Cupertino.

Can u imagine the camera's and wire taps and email surveillance at that place.

saule cogneur

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
I'm taking the Mac Pro's release before MWSF as a sign that they might do the same with the MBPs prior to Apple's end of February event.
Sadly, this occurrence seems unlikely if any of the rumors are true about the new MBP enclosures and trackpads. I imagine that Apple wants to make as a big a deal as possible out of these updates, so they'll save the announcement for the "big" event.

If the MBP update is small (i.e. only a processor upgrade) however, a 2/19 update is more probable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.