MacBook Pro order delayed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macsleuth, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Macsleuth macrumors member

Hi Gang!
    First time poster.
    I finally got around to ordering my Macbook Pro (almost ordered a Dell XPS 1330). Work is covering the lease.
    Maxed out the 15.4" MBP and placed order on Jan 22nd. To be delivered by Feb 8th.
    Been checking delivery status all week as I wait for my new MBP.
    Noticed it didn't ship yesterday like it was supposed to.
    Starting checking rumor sites and I found a no buy recommendation, siting it's due for an upgrade.
    This morning I get a notice from Apple saying due to unexpected delay we have revised the shipping date as follows. Ship Feb. 26th, Delivery March 8th.
    SO now I'm wondering if they are having part shortage, or if they are updating the MBP line and I am waiting for a MBP from the updated line????????
    Dang, do I wait or do I cancel and reorder??????
    Macsleuth

2. McGiord, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have no previous experience ordering directly from apple, but I'm very interested in knowing the outcome of your case because I am expecting to buy the new MBP that will be released sometime.
    Surely some MR members with experience in this matter will answer with good advice.
    ________
    Jaguar R2 specifications

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I too would love to know the outcome of this. I have been waiting since August to buy an updated MacBook Pro (will be buying directly from Apple's HE Store).

It certainly seems interesting to think they are pushing it back so far especially seeing as the shipping dates shown on the website are still 3-5 days.

4. jameskohn macrumors 6502

Love to hear what information a call to customer service would yield. Keep us informed!

5. dmb3886 macrumors regular

6 days left apple, lets get an announcementtttt
    tuesday maybe?

6. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Would love an updated MBP on tuesday but I think it'll just be Leapard 10.5.2

7. ewxlt macrumors regular

I got my MacBook on the 24th. I ordered on the 22nd.

Even IF an updated MBP was going to break, I can't see how that would impact your order of a non-updated MBP.

8. G.I. Joe macrumors regular

G.I. Joe

A month delayed?! February 26th is on a tuesday.. man i hope this is it.

9. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

^^ I agree. I just ordered my MBP last night so we'll see what happens. Maybe it's because the OP ordered all the upgrades and Apple is running low on one of them.

10. Wizzardbb macrumors newbie

It sounds like a good news!

Why you don't post your order (with jpg for exs) so we all can see?

Is time of good news here!! ;-)

11. dmb3886 macrumors regular

jingle bells..jingle bells, jingle- all - the - wayy

12. Snowcat001 macrumors regular

And accidentaly, Feb. 26 is a tuesday!!!!
    It's still a long time to wait but I hope it's worth it!
    Fingers crossed for multitouch, LED, Graphicscard update, penryn....

13. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I hoped it'd be sooner that this but I vowed to give Apple til the end of February to update the MBP or I'd spend the money on something else.

14. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

15. Paix247 macrumors 6502

Has anyone else ordered one recently and got this kind of delay? It sounds very unlikely that Apple would delay in order to send out new MBPs. Have they ever done this before? I know they sent out faster MBPs when they were first announced... but I doubt they would send out all new MBPs for old MBP orders. Especially this far in advance. They must keep better track of their stock levels.

16. lexlix macrumors newbie

apple is probably just letting their current inventory run out. it's not smart to keep making and selling the old model up until the announcement of the update. as much as we all complain about how apple is heartless and plays by their own rules, they are not gonna want to deal with bad publicity, bitching and moaning from recent purchasers, and processing all the returns minus 10% restock fee that will sure to follow. (this evident from last years iphone price drop and subsequent refunds to previous purchasers). also why would they create more of a problem for themselves by not ramping down production and inventory of what they know will be an outdated model.

and like another poster said the OP maxed out his options so there prob wasn't one sitting there that apple could just give him. and i think at this point apple just wants to get rid of their existing inventory. so they're not gonna build one special for him and send it to him within days of the update. others have noted how sometimes if u buy on the cusp of an update, they will just send you the updated version after a delay. this is good customer service which i hope is why the OP's order is now delayed.

17. propropro macrumors regular

It would be interesting if the OP posted what upgrades he ordered, maybe that's the cause ;)

18. G.I. Joe macrumors regular

G.I. Joe

Let's not hype this thing as we have been doing since macworld ended for every remote rumor of an update that turned out to be a dissapointment.

19. signatus macrumors member

signatus

MBP and iMacs will be updated once MBA starts being delivered. And that will be around mid-February, so, since Feb.26th is Tuesday, and Tuesdays are updating days, let's keep our fingers crossed.
    Together with that, OS X 10.5.2 is around the corner.
    On the other hand, no MBP updates came after San Francisco's keynote, and other manufacturers have started using Penryn.
    But, keep it in mind, only Steve knows ... and he'll do the best for the company (not necessarily the best for us customers and/or fanboys)

20. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

New MBPs to be announced Tuesday, February 5th. That's my guess based on the order delay.

21. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's a very good chance the OP will get the new MBP. When Apple delays shipping around the time of a possible upgrade they automatically change the order to the new model.
    To the OP: Here's your opportunity to get something free from Apple. Anytime they send you an email delaying shipping you should call them and tell them you are disappointed.
    Apple is very good about offering either a free ram upgrade or a free case or free Applecare, they don't want you to cancel. You don't have to threaten to cancel, they generally will offer you something as a retention gift. It's worked for me everytime they delayed my shipping.

22. adamatus macrumors newbie

Macsleuth : did it delay the shipping because you added upgrades. cause the site still shows 24 hour shipping.

Is it likely that the shipping is delayed just cause it was modded on the users specs? I have been waiting for awhile for the MBP. was going to cave in next week :(

23. Macsleuth thread starter macrumors member

2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    250GB 5400RPM HDD
    SuperDrive 8X
    15" Glossy Widescreen Display
    No Modem
    No iWork Preinstalled
    No Final Cut Exp Preinstalled
    No Aperture Preinstalled
    No Logic Exp Preinstalled
    BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
    Country Kit

As they list it. Maxed out Ram and largest drive, glossy screen. 15.4"

It was listed as delivery between 22nd and 24th.
    Just this morning I got an e-mail from Apple indicating the delay, then new ship date Feb 26th. Estimate delivery March 7th.
    Even with my upgrades, everything listed as 1 - 3 days for shipping.
    I will call my rep on Monday morning to see what happened.
    I got a free power supply then battery when my first power book was in for repairs for a month.
    Thanks for the info.
    I will keep you posted...
    Gary

24. Snowcat001 macrumors regular

25. Macsleuth thread starter macrumors member

mail on other system

I'll post the e-mail I got from Apple tonight.
    I'm at work and the mail is on my home system. (24" Imac, White).
    Never understood why people load remote software all the time.
    Now I get it.
    Will probably setup something for remote access this week. LOL
    Gary