Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baudejogos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2024
Gentlemen, I got an old 2014 13" Retina MacBook Pro i5 2.6ghz with 8gb of ram that was not working. No power.
Bought a Logic Board from eBay and made sure I got one from the same year: 2014 2.8ghz i5 with 16gb of RAM.

All connectors were re-seated, more than once and then... No video.

Behavior ir that the LCD does not "power on" until late in the boot process. I can tell by the Apple logo backlight + some light coming in front. But no image at all.

The machine works perfectly fine with an external monitor.

It's not easy for me to test with a new LVDS cable or to try a different panel. And, I know that with current prices it was not even worth to have bought a new logic board, but... I like to try to fix things.
Does anyone knows what can be happening? I found on this forum someone mentioning that when using 2015 panels, the monitor would not light up until the end of the boot process. So, the behavior is somehow similar. But, I have no video.

Any suggestion will be welcome. Nothing to lose as it is not my main machine.
I'm reasonably skilled in maintenance. Not SMD soldering level of course, but I might be able to investigate with a multimeter, play with tricky open firmware commands and so on.

Last edited:

baudejogos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2024
rrnowvltk5v91.jpg

Done! Problem solved!
Thank you all for the support!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.