Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesertNomad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Nevada
They do. Fedex have their fair share of shipping issues too.

Part of my order came via FedEx... no problems there.

FedEx.jpg

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
Hey guys... in case you wonder, this is what they mean by "a mechanical failure" that just happened at Incheon International Airport today. I'm guessing the shipments were supposed to be on this plane before this incident.
According to this article, this plane suffered a landing gear failure during take-off and returned to the airport for maintenance.

Source: https://news.naver.com/main/read.naver?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=102&oid=032&aid=0003106376
Wow. I don’t want people dying so that my fancy new gadget is delivered on time. There are more important things in the world.

u_int16

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2021
View attachment 1880739

No word on what is happening. It has said "check back tomorrow" for more than 24 hours. Apple really needs an option that lets us choose FedEx. When I order from my Apple Business account they always use FedEx but I bought this on the consumer site since I had a $500 credit that was only good there.
Wow. Im now convinced our packages are on the exact same batch. My tracking looks identical. Down to the times.

I get that **** happens, and that redundant planes are too costly to keep UPS competitive. Thats a choice consumers made by choosing cheap over reliable day by day. Im with it.

I dont love, however, the tracking nonsense. I wish they could update with an actual estimate, or even with the problem, instead of just... removing the tracking estimate and repeating some messages.

jessejesse

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2017
Well despite your poetic analogy, I have empirical evidence via 4 recent packages delivered by UPS, and 2 via DHL. All 6 had delays and **** ups.
Empirical evidence of what? That logistics companies aren't flawless? Absolutely right. I would still maintain that the vast, vast, majority of deliveries seem to be flawless. Companies are made of people. People are susceptible to conditions outside of their control. You are providing anecdotal evidence, not empirical evidence. Some examples, or even an incredible story, do not indicate anything beyond some examples, and an incredible story. If you are trying to prove that logistics is complicated and that sometimes there are difficulties, then you're right.

Sometimes I'm late for my client's appointments. It's not often (in fact it is rare), but it happens, maybe 5-10 times per year (out of approximately 1,000 appointments). Oddly enough, I was late twice for the same client in back to back weeks. Once my son forgot his mask for school and the 2nd time, I tripped going up the stairs to my office with my coffee in my hands. My client could have had "empirical evidence" that all therapists are late, or that at the very least, I am always late. But I apologized for the unpredictability of life and that it was quite an anomaly for me to be late not once, but twice, for the same person.

u_int16

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2021
I wonder if somewhere, in some office, theres some UPS middle manager getting reamed by their boss who just got a call from someone from Apple.

Reactions: alexqndr

Chet-NYC

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2017
New York USA
This seems to be limited to overseas shipments.

I have a UPS delivery today of something from Costco- right on time with three day express from Beaverton, Oregon to NYC. Tomorrow, my Series 7 watch should arrive- making the long trip from Carlisle, PA to NYC (lol) and arriving about five days earlier than the original timeline of November 1 to 8.

Last year, around Thanksgiving, the cargo areas of the airport in Shanghai were closed for about 10 days due a couple of positive COVID tests- created a disaster for Apple and everyone else sending stuff out from there.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
I wonder if somewhere, in some office, theres some UPS middle manager getting reamed by their boss who just got a call from someone from Apple.
UPS HQ is a mile from my house.
They have folks assigned to Apple.
They deal with it.

But just wait until Amazon Logistics, LaserShip (new CEO from Home Depot), and others eat into UPS and FedEx.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
That explains why my shipment has been sitting in Shanghai for 2.5 days with it only saying “We are updating plans for your delivery” and other weird and vague tracking status notes such as “the package will be sent to your destination city.”
Surprised by UPS’s lack of contingency plans
Dang, I was wondering why my AW7 is just chilling in Shanghai as well.

Reactions: 5105973

TonyTech

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
Why is everybody using that piece of crap carrier called UPS? I always thought FedEX was better. Maybe it is time for Apple to have their own fleet of cargo airplanes, just like Amazon.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
Why is everybody using that piece of crap carrier called UPS? I always thought FedEX was better. Maybe it is time for Apple to have their own fleet of cargo airplanes, just like Amazon.
FedEx is awful. LTL, transcon, intercon, and last mile.
especially FedEx Home, but also Express.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.