Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesertNomad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Nevada
Precisely all this is going on, in china UPS even says due to Covid-19 there can be up to 5 days delays on packages moving. Saw that with my watch 7 and 13 ProMax. Cargo containers also cost 10 times as much to ship if you can get on and even get it to port and on trucks with all the pileups at ports. I read we are short 60,000 truck drivers to load and ship the containers at our ports. Lots of folks going to air shipping to avoid issues with the shipping containers and taking over many planes hence shortage for UPS to get out of china. A perfect storm on a just in time system that is unable to handle these supply chain failures.

And yet, FedEx was able to deliver my XDR Display a three days earlier than Apple estimated and even a day earlier that FedEx themselves estimated.

FedEx, DHL and TNT are simply better run companies.

Exorthium

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2020
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
I'm surprised a lot of you are stating that it's been at Shanghai for the past 3 days and that you do not have a delivery date yet. Mine is now sitting 24 hours in Shanghai and my delivery date according to UPS is 29 October. Apple's site now also says 29 October (was 3 Nov - 8 Nov).

The delay isn't the end of the world. I can wait it out. I'd rather they fix the 'mechanical' issues. Especially if it's plane related, for the safety of the pilot.

Reactions: EricRFMA

8mrg81

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2019
If you bought a new computer without having any other way of doing your work you’re clearly not a planner.

I love the internet :) "hate" everywhere (I quoted just you, sorry about that, but many people in this thread said something similar)
Do you need a car to get to work? Most of us do. But of course, yes, if it breaks … well we will be able somehow to get to work anyway but I am sure you would take it with a smile and say "I am glad I had planned for it and found out where is the nearest bus stop already", right ? :) I would take the damn bus/uber but I would not be smiling about it. Yeah, you probably have more than one car. That's not the point :)

He didn't say that he is doomed and he can't workaround it. But it suck. Don't need to tell him that he sucks at his work.

Reactions: 5105973

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
The worldwide logistics system is a working miracle but has been exposed as being the fragile, complex operation it has always been. The concept of sourcing everything to one region has always been flawed, but it's where we are. I also hope it makes folks understand the Butterfly Effect of adding lots of factors on top of the world's situation in a knee jerk manner. Not to get into politics, but every little thing matters.

It's worked well for the past few decades and folks get spoiled by the information flow. It's better to not be given a delivery time than to quote one and miss.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
UPS, pronounced "oops" these days, used to be the model for effecient shipping. But in the last few years they have turned into one of the worst shippers. They are well known for delivering to the wrong address, banging up the packages, purposely throwing packages down on porches, and even throwing packages over fence into someone's yard.

8mrg81

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2019
Seems like apple is using both. UPS and Fedex. Or perhaps they shifted to fedex after something went wrong with UPS? Mine is being shipped with Fedex. I've ordered a day after the announcement and I am in NYS.
So far it doesn't say anything about a delay … says "on time" (11/1)

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
Funny thing is most models are available for pickup today from the apple store 5 miles away from me, I would cancel it and check my local store.

Jerz

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Boston, MA

Several customers awaiting deliveries of their new redesigned MacBook Pros are being told that their shipments are being delayed due to "mechanical" issues impacting UPS, a courier used by Apple to ship its devices worldwide.

Apple_iphone12-iphone12pro-ipadair-availability-louisville-kentucky-01_10222020_big.jpg.large_2x.jpg

"A mechanical failure has caused a delay" is the message several customers are being told when they track their new MacBook Pro shipment. Customers on the MacRumors Forum are also reporting that UPS is sending emails to customers informing them of unknown mechanical failures and that estimated delivery dates will vary depending on the conditions on the ground.

The mechanical failures, possibly about aircraft, are causing shipments of MacBook Pros, and presumably, other consumer electronic devices, to be left stationary on the ground in cities in China. Some shipments are still on-the-ground in Shanghai and Seoul, South Korea, and publicly available flight records show few UPS flights scheduled to depart either city today, at the time of writing.

Cologne, Germany, serves as one of UPS' main hubs in Europe and is where MacBook Pro shipments are likely to arrive from Asia before being sent to customers across Europe. One UPS flight from Seoul to Cologne that was scheduled for later today has been canceled, as noted on Reddit. Customers are also sharing their frustrations on Twitter.

Mine was shipped via FedEx…

Jerz

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Boston, MA
So, counterpoint. I bought a maxed out 14” as soon as I could. Apple estimated delivery Nov 3-5. Updated to Nov 2. FedEx is now telling me Oct 29. We’ll see if that holds up. I can see it’s really close now and wouldn’t be surprised if it comes Oct 28.

edit: I don’t know why it’s coming fedex and not UPS. I didn’t select anything.
Same here. Maxed out MacBook Pro 16”. Originally Nov 3rd now oct 29th via FedEx.

johnalan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
That's an easy thing to say and obviously ignoring the likely billions of packages they manage to deliver flawlessly... The best helmsmen stand ashore ;)

Well despite your poetic analogy, I have empirical evidence via 4 recent packages delivered by UPS, and 2 via DHL. All 6 had delays and **** ups.

DesertNomad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Nevada
I'm surprised a lot of you are stating that it's been at Shanghai for the past 3 days and that you do not have a delivery date yet. Mine is now sitting 24 hours in Shanghai and my delivery date according to UPS is 29 October. Apple's site now also says 29 October (was 3 Nov - 8 Nov).

The delay isn't the end of the world. I can wait it out. I'd rather they fix the 'mechanical' issues. Especially if it's plane related, for the safety of the pilot.

UPS.jpg

No word on what is happening. It has said "check back tomorrow" for more than 24 hours. Apple really needs an option that lets us choose FedEx. When I order from my Apple Business account they always use FedEx but I bought this on the consumer site since I had a $500 credit that was only good there.

Reactions: u_int16

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
No, I'm using a low spec computer to do my work while I wait for this to arrive. I quit my job to build a startup and had to give back my old computer last week so I have two options. Expect this MBP to turn up before I have to return the temporary mac mini to apple within the 2 week window or buy another computer because apple can't fulfil their delivery dates.

Quite amazing you can't imagine any scenario where people need these to arrive in a timely manner.
I hope you didn’t do any work for your new startup on your old company issued laptop, or your old company will have claim to your intellectual property since you used their tools to build it.

Working on a new startup with your current company-issued laptop is a huge no-no.

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
Every bit of minutiae regarding customers’ MBP orders gets reported as news. What’s next? Are we going to get news reports for every single dog that tries to bite a postman delivering a MBP.

• Haha
Reactions: EricRFMA

Exorthium

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2020
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
View attachment 1880739

No word on what is happening. It has said "check back tomorrow" for more than 24 hours. Apple really needs an option that lets us choose FedEx. When I order from my Apple Business account they always use FedEx but I bought this on the consumer site since I had a $500 credit that was only good there.

Screenshot at Oct 27 16-45-25.png

It's weird how much more information your tracking has, compared to mine.

Verzonden = Shipped
Onderweg = On the way
Etiket aangemaakt = Label created

Still seeing Friday 29 October as the delivery date

Hey guys... in case you wonder, this is what they mean by "a mechanical failure" that just happened at Incheon International Airport today. I'm guessing the shipments were supposed to be on this plane before this incident.
According to this article, this plane suffered a landing gear failure during take-off and returned to the airport for maintenance.

Source: https://news.naver.com/main/read.naver?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=102&oid=032&aid=0003106376

0003106376_001_20211027171002663.jpg

0003106376_002_20211027171002740.jpg

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
I remember a time before email when you would order something and it would just show up at your house one day. There was no tracking, no confirmation that your order was received. You wouldn’t know how it got to your house or where it came from.

Now it’s like, “My fancy new computer that I ordered now shows through the magic of instant tracking technology that it has been delayed TWO DAYS from the other side of the world with an explanation that mechanical problems have delayed it! This is completely UNACCEPTABLE and I, for one, will think twice before ordering from Apple again!”

Sometimes I wonder if technology really makes our lives better or just makes us spoiled and less capable of handling even small obstacles in life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.