Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

170537-amazon_17_mbp.jpg

MacRumors has heard from several sources that supplies of Apple's existing MacBook Pro models, particularly the 15" and 17" sizes, are beginning to run low in Apple stores and at third-party retailers, suggesting that the company may be drawing down stock in advance of an update to the product line. At least one major retail chain has reportedly notified its branches that it has been unable to fulfill replenishment orders, a situation that has been tied to forthcoming product updates in the past.

The 17" MacBook Pro generally appears to be in the shortest supply at the moment, with Amazon quoting a shipment window of 1-2 months for the base Core i5 model and several popular resellers connected through Amazon's systems also showing low stocks of the 17" models. For its part, Apple continues to show "within 24-hour" availability of all MacBook Pro models in its online stores, suggesting that the company may be prioritizing remaining stock to serve its customers directly.

Apple's MacBook Pro has been expected to receive an update in the relatively near future, as the line is due for an revision any time now and sources have indicated that the MacBook Pros would indeed be updated some time in the first half of this year. A new version of the MacBook Pro will almost certainly incorporate Intel's Sandy Bridge microarchitecture and could see the company adopt some aspects of the its successfully revamped MacBook Air in order to improve performance and reduce size and weight.

Article Link: MacBook Pro Supplies Tightening Ahead of Potential Refresh

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
The current MacBook Pro 13" is pretty out-of-date.

(I know, I know, the Nvidia card, but a discrete graphics card should not be an issue in the 13")

timirving

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007
Yay! Something not related to AT&T or Verizon

Very excited to see an Apple-specific post as opposed to AT&T and/or Verizon :D

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I'm looking for a new laptop, so a refresh of the 15" MacBook Pro in the next few months will be very timely. Here's hoping for dual core Sandy Bridge, DX11 GPUs with 512MB/1GB GDDR5, 256GB/512GB blade SSDs replacing the HDD, IPS screens, and optical drive retained. Personally, I think keeping the optical drive is important for now. Digital distribution may be the future, but with bandwidth caps and throttling in Canada and I'm sure in other places in the world, downloading multi-gigabyte files over the internet is just not convenient. Removing the HDD and adding blade SSDs is sufficient and will still yield some space savings.

And notably, Apple needs to write drivers to support Sandy Bridge IGP's hardware H.264 decode. It's ridiculous that the current MBP needs to power up the discrete GPU to do H.264 and Flash decoding when the Intel IGP is perfectly capable of these basic tasks. It completely contradicts Apple's power saving philosophy which is the point of hybrid switching.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Can't wait for a refresh - however we normally see case leaks, blurry photos, etc if there is something coming out in the near future.

I haven't seen anything - I hope this means they don't simply make some internal changes and leave the casing the same. :confused:

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
from the homepage of macrumors, finally some hope. Not that I , or you is right or wrong, but I've believed for a long time that before April is much more likely. Caution be taken, info like this still may mean up to 6 weeks, but also could mean 2-4.

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/26/macbook-pro-supplies-tightening-ahead-of-potential-refresh/

Is this surprising news? We knew that there would be an update in the first half of the year, particularly in the spring.

MTD's Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
It would be cool if the new MBP beat the iPad 2.0 to market. Also, doesn't it make sense to get it out sooner so buyers won't just wait until MBPs start shipping with Lion?

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait...

Waited patiently for months rather than pulling the trigger early and buying 2010 MBP.

Hope I made the right choice.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
MacBook Air the new standard MacBook

I'm going to predict:

- MacBook white discontinued
- MacBook Air becomes the standard MacBook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.