Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I am debating buying a MacBook Pro. I currently have a 12" MacBook that I love but would like something a little more future proof. I know if I but a new MBP I'll get 5+ years out of it. Anyway, I'd like to know if it's a little err "wrong" to buy one from Apple if I just want to try it out and return it before making a final decision? I did once order a regular iPhone and the max version to see which one I liked and returned one (the regular) but still feel guilty. And then.. Apple are with $Billions and if I did try and return it'd be resold at a discount to someone so is there any harm? Any thoughts?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
So it's OK to be deceitful just because Apple 'can afford it'?

It's one thing to return it because it doesn't fit your means. Quite another to go into this knowing full well you're just "test driving" it and will be returning it before your time is up.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I don't see anything morally wrong with buying a new MBP and trying it out and then if you don't like it, return it within the 2 week grace period. However, buying one with the specific intent of returning it after trying it out is a different thing. It's something I personally would not do, but that's me.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
The entire reason they have a policy of allowing hassle-free returns is that they know folks will try out the computers, and they’re betting that you’ll like it so much you’ll keep it. When I had some repairs needed on my 2013 pro a couple years ago, I was pretty nonplussed to learn that it would take 2 weeks to get it repaired. I was headed out of the country for 10 days and I needed my computer. The “genius” straight up told me to buy a new one with the express purpose of returning it after 14 days. “We don’t have a loaner program, but this is as close as we get.”

Apple was betting that the new machine would be so amazing, that I wouldn’t return it. Unfortunately for them, it was a 2017 model, and I was shocked that for almost 4k$, it wasn’t any faster than my 2013. I returned it. When they asked why, I was completely honest, the guy shrugged and said “yeah, we get that a lot with these”

Point is, yes, Apple is worth almost 1 trillion dollars these days, and the return policy is a sales gimmick. Nothing wrong with them having the sales policy , and nothing wrong with using it.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
This sounds more like abusing rather than using that policy...

Do they not “abuse” us by charging so much? Are their products really worth so much more than their competitors? As I said, every Apple product returned ends up benefiting someone else who gets it at a reduced price? And what percentages are we taking about? Apple wouldn’t offer the “try and return” ability if they were losing out. Ditto Amazon. They lose nothing.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Do they not “abuse” us by charging so much? Are their products really worth so much more than their competitors? As I said, every Apple product returned ends up benefiting someone else who gets it at a reduced price? And what percentages are we taking about? Apple wouldn’t offer the “try and return” ability if they were losing out. Ditto Amazon. They lose nothing.

They can charge whatever they want. No-one has to buy their devices. If you think they overcharge then buy something else.

What you're suggesting is tantamount to fraud. You really think it's legal to commit fraud just because you don't like their prices?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
They can charge whatever they want. No-one has to buy their devices. If you think they overcharge then buy something else.

What you're suggesting is tantamount to fraud. You really think it's legal to commit fraud just because you don't like their prices?

How can it be fraud? It is perfectly legal to buy, try, and then return. Simple.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
How can it be fraud? It is perfectly legal to buy, try, and then return. Simple.

Not if your intent is to return it and never complete the purchase.
[automerge]1584839576[/automerge]
Fraud? Really? Lawyer much? How did the OP misrepresent themselves or even violate the EULA? Show me where they signed a statement promising not to return the computer.

Let's see how far the OP will get if they tell that to Apple before they make the purchase.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

You have the option to buy or not buy if the value for the money is not there. This type of behavior is why car purchase now have no cooling off period. When you drive it away you own it.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
It's your money.

It's their policy in writing.

It's your conscience.

You do whatever you want and that's that.

Anyone else's opinion shouldn't matter to you, but it obviously does since you asked a pointed question on the matter.

So ya, deep in your soul, you know it's not "cool" to do that, but is allowable by Apple.

All I can say is I hope you don't buy underwear and try to return it because there's too much room in the crotch area.

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States
if you just want to try it, plenty of places will rent.

buying with the intent to return it is abusing Apple’s return policy. If you have moral qualms, don’t do it.

Reactions: Plett

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
So it's OK to be deceitful just because Apple 'can afford it'?

It's one thing to return it because it doesn't fit your means. Quite another to go into this knowing full well you're just "test driving" it and will be returning it before your time is up.
Dunno what you're going on about. There's generally a week or two period for most products like this to return it if you don't like it. That's why it exists. There's nothing morally corrupt about what he's doing. If they didn't want you returning it ... then they would remove this return window. You guys need to climb off your high horse.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I also look at it this way.

People that want to save money on the Apple refurbs while they check the refurb site daily are happy as hell that people like you exist that love Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

You know the line....

"Two men enter. One man leaves"

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I don't see anything morally wrong with buying a new MBP and trying it out and then if you don't like it, return it within the 2 week grace period. However, buying one with the specific intent of returning it after trying it out is a different thing. It's something I personally would not do, but that's me.

Q:

Would you do that with a car?

A: no.

It's BS. Try your stuff out in the store. Ask an apple store employee if you can try some of your tasks out on the machine in store.

Planning to buy and return in advance is dishonest.

Reactions: MSastre

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Dunno what you're going on about. There's generally a week or two period for most products like this to return it if you don't like it. That's why it exists. There's nothing morally corrupt about what he's doing. If they didn't want you returning it ... then they would remove this return window. You guys need to climb off your high horse.

Some examples of the return fraud and abuse problems include:
  • Wardrobing or renting: Purchasing merchandise for short-term use with the intent to return the item, such as a dress for a special occasion, a video camera for graduations and weddings or a big-screen television for the Super Bowl.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This sounds more like abusing rather than using that policy...
Buying something to try it out, is not deceitful, apple even states that if the buyer is not completely happy they can return it
1584872166455.png

I currently have a 12" MacBook that I love but would like something a little more future proof.
Future proof it is a marketing gimmick to get you to buy a more expensive model then you need.

Anyway, I'd like to know if it's a little err "wrong" to buy one from Apple if I just want to try it out and return it before making a final decision?
If it were me, I'd probably do more analysis and research, for instance how is the MacBook not meeting your needs? or what apps are you using with the MacBook? How much of mobility will there be, i.e., just using it on the couch or commuting to work/school daily. You are moving up to a larger, especially if you opt for the 16" model. Buying it, to see if it fits your needs is ok, but the more research and analysis you do, the more satisfied you will be

Personally, if the MacBook is serving your needs now, don't worry if it will or will not serve your needs in the future. There will come a day when it no longer does that, and tat that point, go and buy a new laptop.

Would you do that with a car?
You can't, 99.99% of car purchases is done so without any ability or opportunity to return. If major car makers offered returns (with no strings attached), you can bet people would do it

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States
There's generally a week or two period for most products like this to return it if you don't like it. That's why it exists. There's nothing morally corrupt about what he's doing. If they didn't want you returning it ... then they would remove this return window. You guys need to climb off your high horse.

People seem to be confused. That's often the case with morals. But this is a clear legal/rights issue, so there shouldn't be any confusion.

Sure, Apple will probably accept the return, even when you tell them you bought it just to return it (and you would be lying if you didn't tell them the truth). But try that for a second time and see what happens.

Buying a product to own it, then returning it because it didn't measure up for any legit reason -- that is the intent of Apple's return policy. Not being satisfied with the purchase is a stated, allowable legit reason to return it.

Purposely buying just to try it and return it, is not a legit reason to buy or return it -- it's probably illegal, too.

These are two very different things. The former is within Apple's return policies and purchase agreement. The latter is morally indefensible and borders on fraud.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
People seem to be confused. That's often the case with morals. But this is a clear legal/rights issue, so there shouldn't be any confusion.

Sure, Apple will probably accept the return, even when you tell them you bought it just to return it (and you would be lying if you didn't tell them the truth). But try that for a second time and see what happens.

Buying a product to own it, then returning it because it didn't measure up for any legit reason -- that is the intent of Apple's return policy. Not being satisfied with the purchase is a stated, allowable legit reason to return it.

Purposely buying just to try it and return it, is not a legit reason to buy or return it -- it's probably illegal, too.

These are two very different things. The former is within Apple's return policies and purchase agreement. The latter is morally indefensible and borders on fraud.
Fraud is a pretty generalized term here. To me it's not fraud ... it's a return window. Fraud would be if he bought the laptop, brought it home, then replaced the laptop inside with a broken one and kept the new one. That's fraud. I understand the OP made a statement about his intent that does in fact violate Apple's policy, but you can't do anything about intent.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Moralizing about this topic seems like it should belong in the politics forum, because there’s plenty to argue about regarding Apple’s morality.

There’s nothing illegal about what’s being proposed here. I’m not sure why the OP posted, I certainly wouldn’t condemn their plan but obviously many others would. Do it or don’t.
<shrug>
No one here would even know about it if you hadn’t posted it.

Reactions: Bandaman and mick2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.