Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I would definitely move to get a refund

I am doing. Packed it up and will mail back tomorrow. Also placed an order for the same machine direct from Apple. Paying more but with it to know I'll have a brand new machine.

Reactions: maflynn

ha1o2surfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
They can charge whatever they want. No-one has to buy their devices. If you think they overcharge then buy something else.

What you're suggesting is tantamount to fraud. You really think it's legal to commit fraud just because you don't like their prices?
they can charge what they want and I'll use my money how I want ;) I've returned tons of apple products and I tell them exactly what I'm doing. Don't you test drive cars and put miles on them you can't return? Yeah I sleep at night just fine.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
they can charge what they want and I'll use my money how I want ;) I've returned tons of apple products and I tell them exactly what I'm doing. Don't you test drive cars and put miles on them you can't return? Yeah I sleep at night just fine.

Your "test driving cars" is a false analogy, thus irrelevant to this conversation.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Ahhhhhh.

So the packing was aftermarket after all.

very u
Finally got to the bottom of this. Not happy at all. Very naughty by Amazon.

77344aa6db58ede1e88ed35ebcefbe9a.png

Ahh geez. Amazon electronics DID strike again. I should’ve kept pressing my gut instincts and not given in to being nice. Sometimes I get a little headstrong

In the photography world this happens quite a bit and most pros will stay the F away from Amazon.

Anyways. How did you like it while you used it?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Ahhhhhh.

So the packing was aftermarket after all.

very u

Ahh geez. Amazon electronics DID strike again. I should’ve kept pressing my gut instincts and not given in to being nice. Sometimes I get a little headstrong

In the photography world this happens quite a bit and most pros will stay the F away from Amazon.

Anyways. How did you like it while you used it?

Loved it. Have ordered one from Apple.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Do they not “abuse” us by charging so much? Are their products really worth so much more than their competitors?

This is some heavy rationalization of something you know is wrong. They do not ”abuse” you by charging so much, because if you think their products don’t offer enough value for your money, you have every right not to buy them. And if you’re not sure, you’re welcome to buy a product and return it if you feel this is the case. But buying something you have no intention of keeping, even before it arrives, that is the abuse of the system. You can do it, it’s legally your right - and, as you said, Apple will be fine - but we’re not going to make you feel better about it.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I thought it was a good one.

Car dealerships are set up to actively encourage test driving. They want you to take their vehicles out on the road knowing full well that you wont always buy the vehicles in question. In fact with new vehicles, a lot of the time you do that you don't actually end up buying the vehicle you test drove but rather one that's in inventory somewhere.

Apple do not. In fact Apple nowhere anywhere in their advertising, marketing or anywhere else mention anything like "test driving" of anything outside the store, and when you do "test" it's with purpose built inventory that are never ever sold "as new".

And finally, and most importantly, the vehicle test drive happens BEFORE you put a single penny down on the vehicle. The dealerships require nothing more than a driving license to do this.

However, once you've taken delivery of the vehicle, good luck in returning it if it develops a fault 5 days later.

That's why it's a false analogy.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
If it was such a problem they wouldn't offer it then.

Not in the slightest. People abuse such offers all the time. Apple no doubt factor this in to the selling price.

Same with healthcare - bad practices are still going on and it results in higher bills for the consumers. As long as someone else pays for the abuse, it's allowed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.