Macbook Pro vs. Macbook Air--Which looks cooler?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macdudesir, Nov 26, 2011.

?

MBP vs. MBP--Looks

1. MacBook Pro

53.8%
  2. MacBook Air

48.9%
  1. macdudesir, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

macdudesir macrumors 6502

Im just wondering what people think... and i may be a little bit bored lol ;) I think the Macbook pro is pretty awesome looking, especially when its on one of those stands like the X-Stand. The Macbook Air seems a bit too thin if you know what i mean lol. It still looks cool though. So guys, what do you think? And yes i know I'm going to get some bias opinions putting this in the Macbook Pro section. It just happens to be above the macbook air forum so i clicked it first lol

2. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Can you add an "they look equally cool" and an "I don't care" option to your poll?

3. tim100 macrumors 65816

you would think the mba would run away with this poll. it is the future of the notebook no optical design and no mechanical hard drive, should be more modern looking.

4. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think I can edit the poll :mad: but i let there be an option to select both of them...effectively being the equal option or the i don't care option...sorry!

----------

Thats what one would think, but the Macbook Pro seems..like......muscular? lol

5. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

No, what do you mean my friend?

6. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

The opposite of what i said about the macbook pro in my last post...It seems a bit...weak looking i guess lol...its hard to describe. but you'll see what i mean if you look around this thread... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1184870&page=1

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

the silver bezel of the macbook air looks 5X better than the black of the macbook pro.

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

The Air looks awesome, but there's something with the display's proportion to the rest of the computer and the bezel that makes it look... weird. I like the design, but it just looks a bit off for some reason. The Pro, on the other hand, is like a human face. It's perfectly proportional and looks like a workhorse.

9. PS65 macrumors 6502

I find that interesting - I always asked myself why the silver bezel? Mainly because I like the contrast against the silver case and screen itself (when it is on, of course).

10. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

+1 I agree 100%...dont get me wrong...i love the Macbook Air, i have one :) lol but i think the Macbook pro is...just as you said, "perfectly proportional"

11. bill-p macrumors 65816

I have both. In fact, I have a 13" MBA, 13" MBP, 15" MBP, and 17" MBP with antiglare display right here at this time, and I quite honestly think that the Pro looks more substantial, solid, and the contrast on the Pro is better (both screen and outer appearance).

Also the screen on the Air has a thin plastic layer instead of the glass layer of the Pro. There is just something about that layer that I don't like. It doesn't feel as solid as glass, and cleaning it is a lot harder than the glass. Plus it scratches quite easily.

In terms of display quality, the Pro with the black bezel actually brings out the display more, and makes the display blend in to the background, whereas with the Air, the silver bezel makes it seem small compared to the background. The same thing goes for the 17" MBP with the antiglare filter. I think I just flat out prefer the black bezel.

At least the Air has lighter weight, and the screen doesn't reflect quite as much. But those are the only two things that I like about the Air.

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I must have much different priorities.

Already secure and happy, I don't care if the Mac I use is accepted as cool or good looking by others.

I'm far too busy making money to care what it looks like.

In many ways I find style a problem for Apple. By making very good looking laptops they attract vain, insecure people who are only as good as the gear they're seen with.

I feel sorry for vain, self conscious, insecure people.

Posers, they sit at Starbucks waiting to be noticed. In the most extreme cases, these poor souls actually believe the girls are attracted to them because of their Mac. Flippin crazy.

13. GTANJ macrumors member

Definitely the MacBook Pro for me. In my opinion, the MacBook Air loses some of it's aesthetic luster because of how thin it is. I feel it goes for practicality over presentation, but my 13" MacBook Pro gives me the best of both worlds, portability and presentation :)

----------

Wow. Want to lend me some money?

14. bill-p macrumors 65816

Not all of them are mine. The 13" MBA and 15" MBP are mine, but the 13" MBP and the 17" MBP with antiglare screen are my brother's and my dad's respectively.

I got the Air primarily because I couldn't stand the display resolution of the 13" Pro, and then ultimately ended up on the 15"... I think I'll push the 13" MBA away soon enough.

15. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I speak for most people when i say...The looks are just icing on the cake. I know I bought a Macbook Air because it fit my needs...I don't care how it looks...I just thought it would be interesting to see what this poll says...

16. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

17. tim100 macrumors 65816

i think the mbp will look a lot like the mba in less than a year

18. Bloodstar macrumors regular

Which one do I believe looks better? The MBP, by far - it looks, and feels, like one could get some serious work done on it. I'm hoping that it doesn't adopt the MBA's design - some people can push their MBPs pretty hard, and the current design is (or, at least, seems) a bit more conducive to these uses.

Appearance isn't everything, though - sure, it does look nice, but I got an MBP for its build quality and the fact that I needed a powerful machine that could run Mac OS X without issue, not just its appearance. (MagSafe was also a selling point to me - my last laptop, a Satellite, died due to the DC IN breaking. Not very fun, although I get the feeling that was just bad design on Toshiba's part...)

19. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Haha! You take things way too seriously.

20. GTANJ macrumors member

Nothing wrong with enjoying the way a piece of technology looks. I enjoy that my machine is not only attractive, but not made of flimsy material. It really helps to justify the price I paid for it.

21. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I chose Pro cuz i own a pro, simply me being biased.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's coolest if you buy one of every model and take them out, sitting side-by-side while sipping your mocha-latte-special-stuff at Starbucks.

That said you might want to get a full spec'd out Mac Pro, sit in that Starbucks and run the computer with the side cover removed. Be sure to print a giant banner that lists the specs of your Mac Pro while you're at it. Imagine you're at an enthusiasts car show, except you're showing off the inside of your computer, not your car.

23. ender land macrumors 6502a

I'd say the opposite thing ;)

24. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Good question, undoubtably the Air, well until you open the computer, then the 15" Macbook Pro dominates, presence, display quality, audio quality, GPU, storage

I have both 2011 MacBook Pro (Core i7 2.4) and MaBook Air (Core i5 1.7), stylistically they are very different, the MBP exudes quality and feels like it was hewn from stone. The Air is more visually complex and for some has a more modern look and feel,

For 13" the Air 15" you canot disregard the MBP`s presence and more importantly performance. If I had to choose it would be the 15" MacBook Pro,