Macbook Pro Wish list

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by .Chris, Jul 19, 2008.

1. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

I decided to start this thread after doing a search and finding nothing. What is on your Macbook Pro wish list?
    • As with all mac laptops. I want a [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]rounded hinge. Why? They add more class if done right and protect the screen more. You dont need to add a huge one, just a size that fits in to the form factor of the computer. Perhaps the power button on the hindge. More and more laptop makers are going this route., Love to see apple do the same.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Less wasted space. I know apple doesnt do the wasted space, but on the macbook pro there is a TON of room for more stuff.(17" model is bad) I know they want a clean, simple look, but why not add a number pad or a slot for the apple remote? Makes the computer look bigger and weigh more then it actully is.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]media card slot, Come on steve, you embrace multimedia with photos not everyone stll uses their USB cable they all gone to media card clots. Create one slot that can fit ALL card formatts. I've seen it done before, come on apple, get with the times[/SIZE][/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]LED backlet display as defalut config. I think we can all agree. The apple logo on those leaked shots looks like it will be an LED light and NOT some 1970s doted logo..[/SIZE][/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Blu-ray would be nice, but in 2009.
      [/SIZE][/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]HDMI input/ourput, if they dont have it already[/SIZE][/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Not related to the MBP, but the apple remote that comes with the macs. Redesign it, with a sliver or black color. smaller thinner profile. Make it so existing mac and Apple TV owners can buy one for around 20 bucks and it will work.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Use of apple's new keyboard on the pro.
      [/SIZE][/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]at least 4 or 5 USB ports. one on the front, 2 on the left and 2 on the right
      [/SIZE][/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]2 firewire[/SIZE][/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]16 and 18" perfered. if not thats fine[/SIZE][/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]15" Current is 5.4 LBS. Bring it down to at least 4.7 or 4.8 LBS[/SIZE][/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]17" Current is 6.8 LBS Bring it down to at least 6.0 or a bit lighter.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Match the designs of the air (with more of course), iMac and bring one simple easy to use machine.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    I'm holding off to get my next computer as HP screwed my system up and I will never trust them again. Been thinking of getting a mac, but wanted to wait till the new macs come in and hopefully its this fall. If i like what I see i'll go, if not, then I'lll just go with someone else...

also a more easy way to replace the battery. apple has a thing with non user replacable batterys. steve mnust be money huingry

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They don't. Check some pictures. DVI is the same tech, sans audio, so you can get an adapter.
    What Apple Remote that comes with Macs?
    Ehhh.... that's up for debate still.
    Nope. I'm glad that you're okay with it. Apple doesn't like 16:9, I guess.

3. .Chris thread starter macrumors 6502a

.Chris

1. I know, but it would be nice. but eirther way it beats VGA hands down.
    2. They stoped the apple remote? The one that brings up front row or was that always an upgrade?
    3. Yeah I know. I've used macs at the local mac store and at the offical apple store here and it seems ok. I haven't fully used a mac since my 4th grade year back in 1999 and that was when the imacs first came out.
    4. Yeah, its a computer anyway. my guess, 16:9 will be anouced along with blu-ray hopefully in 2009 and ready for retel by srping/summer next year.

4. Mangaroo macrumors regular

i LOVE wishlists, they're so fun. Here is my iCanDreamBook:

*Media card slot would be nice too
    *i like you're usb idea - at least 4 or 5 USB ports. one on the front, 2 on the left and 2 on the right"
    *MBA's keyboard with silver keys
    *Some sort of cooling so the fans don't get so loud? Water cooling or something (you can tell i have no idea what im talking about)
    *120/250..320GB! SSD
    *GPU that gives me 60fps in assasins creed/COD4/devil may cry/battlefield 2
    *...go on then, Superdrive with bluray burner

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. Just... no.
    Not in a laptop. Better fan control is the most intelligent thing to do.
    They don't come in those sizes. 64, 128, 256, and an obscenely expensive 512 (out yet?).
    Apple doesn't care about games. We'll see a 9600M GT or a 3850M

6. Mangaroo macrumors regular

thanks a lot, destroyer of dreams :'(

128 SSD would be nice i guess :)

7. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I'm not gonna get a new MacBook until 1) Blu-Ray is standard or 2) My AppleCare expires

8. .Chris thread starter macrumors 6502a

.Chris

Why not? I dont know anyone who uses their USB to connect the camera to the computer. The other ports "make it ugly" as a media card slot would. they could put a small cover on it.. but ports will make the system look just as ugly as a media card slot.

I also aded a few things to my list pererbly a easier to remove battery. Apple has a thing with non user replaceable batterys. is steve money hungry or something

9. Mangaroo macrumors regular

tbh i used to care a lot about blu-ray for movies but tbh, on a laptop when the screen is small i dont care too much at all as DVDs do just fine...although i know people tend to sit a lot closer to the laptops. But for storage space (burning it off to Blu-Ray, it really is a must for me. I have enough externals as it is..)

10. .Chris thread starter macrumors 6502a

.Chris

when it does it will cost twice or 3 times more then the computer is actully worth

11. Mangaroo macrumors regular

i heard they dropped the price recently? or did i hear wrong..

12. zsft macrumors regular

wow do you read english, it's an iCanDreamBook. Laugh it out or just walk away.

For me honestly I just want a defect-less notebook...the current design or the new design whatever it looks like will probably be fine...as long as it doesn't bend and stuff. A faster ram will be nice, 800mhz? Sony's coming with that, why not on a MBP.

13. .Chris thread starter macrumors 6502a

.Chris

no, for your 300+ GB SSD drives. they will cost a lot more then the computer driving the computers pice way above 3 grand

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Tempering fantasies is what we're all about. The less fanciful the hope, the less unjustly angry people are at Apple for not giving them Blu-ray, HDMI, a media card reader, an HD iSight, or any of the other predictions that don't have a ray of hope.

15. Mangaroo macrumors regular

HD iSight!! ;0)

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Once we have a minimum of FIOS speeds nationwide, I can see Apple implementing it.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Samsung just announced an inferior one that uses MLC chips at 256GB; 128GB SLC SSDs are $3000 right now, but they are fast.

18. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I think right now that SSD is a total waste of money. It costs too much money and a 320GB-500GB 7200RPM drive is plenty fast. If Apple puts a 128GB SSD or higher in a MBP, it will cost well over $1500 for the upgrade. At that price, its not worth it.

19. Fenir macrumors regular

Wants:

BTO Keyboard - I want to be able to keep the current keyboard. It's a lot like the glossy/matte debate - half the people have a favorite, and then there are a few select people who just say "give me what you got".

Blu-Ray - I want my future MBP to be an all in one center. I don't like Media Center at all. The advantage of macs are how everything integrates and what not, so Blu-Ray would be a nice addition.

HDMI Input - (Never gonna happen, but i could hook up my xbox or TV to it).

HDMI Output - For front row and what not.

Better graphics card - the current ones are outdated.

Ram is fine as it is. (Although I would still upgrade to 4GB.

What I expect:

None of it. Not even a BTO keyboard.

20. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Blu-Ray would be nice, but you would also have a 1 hour MBP battery and a 30 minute when watching a movie.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In the proper applications, buying a SSD is worth every cent; for example I recently bought a Samsung 32GB for my tablet computer; first off a tablet is just slow, so having a fast drive will speed things up a lot; I don't have to worry about shut down; I can have instant sleep like on a Mac; I can shake the computer and move it around without worrying about damaging my SSD. With Active Protection (IBM pioneered read-head parking), it stops the drive when you move the computer a little bit; with an SSD you don't have to worry about that, especially since a tablet is prone to a lot of movement.

In a computer like the Macbook Air where it's not prone to rough handling, SSDs are a waste of money ATM; likewise for a MacBook Pro

22. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I agree with you. I think if people want speed, graphic performance, and hard drive size; why would you buy a MBP? I know, the MBP is a "Pro" computer so it should handle everything. People that need top end GPU and speed shouldnt buy a MBP, buy a MacPro. I think if Apple put a SSD in the MBP, it would be cool but a total waste of money. With the money you would spend, you could buy a Mac Pro!

23. Fenir macrumors regular

It wouldn't be a "on-the-go" type of thing. It would be plugged in.

24. m1stake macrumors 68000

When you have to say "it has to be plugged in to do this", it shouldn't be in a laptop.

25. cromwell64 macrumors regular

You can replace the battery on the macbook pro. You just push the latch and it pops out. I think you might be thinking of the macbook air which has an internal battery that is difficult to get to.