Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to release a new MacBook Pro with an upgraded chip manufactured with TSMC's advanced 3nm process in the third quarter of 2023, according to DigiTimes.

Touch-Bar-13-Inch-MacBook-Pro.jpg

"Apple's next-generation MacBook Pro slated for launch in the third quarter will feature 3nm processors, according to industry sources," the preview says.

The report is likely referring to a new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Apple's next-generation M3 chip, which the company has yet to announce. The M3 chip is widely expected to be fabricated with TSMC's 3nm process for significant performance and power efficiency improvements compared to the 5nm-based M2 chip in the existing 13-inch MacBook Pro.In his Power On newsletter over the weekend, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said the first Macs with the M3 chip could launch as early as October, so a launch in the fourth quarter seems more likely than the third quarter. In any case, it is increasingly likely that Apple will announce the M3 chip later this year, and the first models with the chip will likely be the next-generation 13-inch MacBook Pro, 13-inch MacBook Air, and 24-inch iMac. It's unclear when the 15-inch MacBook Air released last month will be updated with the M3 chip.

Apple last updated the 13-inch MacBook Pro with the M2 chip in June 2022, with pricing starting at $1,299 in the United States. The laptop has a seven-year-old overall design and is the only remaining Mac with a Touch Bar instead of physical function keys. It's unclear if the next model will have any major design changes.

Apple is expected to update the iPad Pro with the M3 chip and an OLED display in the first half of 2024, bringing 3nm technology to its high-end tablet. 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with M3 Pro and M3 Max chips are also expected to launch next year, and an M3 Ultra chip for the Mac Studio and Mac Pro is likely in the future.

Article Link: MacBook Pro With 3nm Chip Reportedly Launching Later This Year

Last edited:

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Wow! I can't believe Macbook 13" is a seven-year-old body design. Having a Touch Bar is so nostalgic! sometimes I do find myself missing it.
There was nothing wrong with this design per sé. The butterfly keyboard & Touch Bar soured many people to it though. If Apple renovated this design by replacing the Touch Bar with regular function keys, upgraded the webcam to 1080p, and added MagSafe that would be a solid start.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
digitimes already copy paste what Murk G already said
DigiTimes been sketch since long before that man got a career throwing **it at the wall and seeing what sticks…

anyway…truly do not get why the 13” is still being sold…the new design is great and the Touch Bar (like it if you want, whatever) is something I’ll never get. feels weird for it to get 3nm before the cutting-edge 14”/16” models.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I’m suspecting Apple is still somehow recouping the cost of 2016 design and will likely keep manufacturing it with revs of the M series until cost of the 14 inch comes down to make that an entry level successor. Either that or they just had a pile of that 13 inch chassis in inventory and are trying to deplete it. I don’t buy the argument anymore it’s for businesses that need the thermal features. We have 13 inch MBPs in the office and we hardly push them and most who I see with them are using web apps.

I say ditch the Touch Bar. It was a failed concept. Apple should just adopt touch screens in the Macs & be done with it.
I think before ditching the Touch Bar. Apple needs to consider ditching the notch on MacBooks. It honestly serves no purpose. Not even Face ID. At least, Touch Bar is semi-functional.

In addition, we are also getting 13" iPad Pro models next year tho.

apple-mbp-notch.jpg

Last edited:

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I think before ditching the Touch Bar. Apple needs to consider ditching the notch on MacBooks. It honestly serves no purpose. Not even Face-ID. At least, Touch Bar is semi-functional.

No qualms from me! Regardless you'll have a 15" midnight MacBook with a touch screen in your cart lickedy split when they're announced in a year or 2 😁

No qualms from me! Regardless you'll have a 15" midnight MacBook with a touch screen in your cart lickedy split when they're announced in a year or 2 😁
I think instead of having a hope for a touch screen Macbook. I think Apple wants you to purchase their Apple Vision Pro. That's where the future is at. Spacial computing!

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Apple needs to consider ditching the notch on MacBooks.
You know Apple's got this figured out in a lab awaiting for the mass production to become economical. All that work on Apple vision + the work in putting cameras behind the screen are going to be ground breaking in iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks. Apple can always move the sensors for True Tone & auto brightness elsewhere on the enclosure.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Although I just ordered the 15" MacBook Air, it will be very tempted to buy another MacBook if Apple re-introduced the 12" model with the next generation chip. I see Apple is releasing product in phases for some time now.
The 12" model is not happening any time soon. Last rumor was it was being considered for the MacBook Pro.

• Sad
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.