Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACHD

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2015
If you look around on GitHub, you might find Apple’s SceneKit demos.

And if you run them in Xcode, you can get a glimpse of what the M1 Pro or M1 Max is capable of.

It looks like PS7 or something from 2040. Metal supports up to 8k textures. Open GL 2.0 is capped to 2048x2048.

The main issue is that most games are written in C# using the Unreal or Unity engine.

So… someone would have to port a game like Halo natively to Swift.

Which seems possible, but Microsoft owns it…
Its not so much about who owns it but the return on it.

In some cases yes they want to keep it exclusive but other developers have already stated that they wont be porting anything over after they(apple) ended DX support. They said the reason for it is the market is not there for them to make profit. Not a certain amount but not any.

THere are other cross platform AAA games that were written in DX11/12 that made it easy to move over to MacOS but with it being the way it is it is far more involved now for them to port the massive AAA titles. Like the big developers have said porting it over is not worth it.

There are not enough Gamers on Mac as a platform as a whole. Enough AAA gamers anyways. You get some easier and smaller games that were able to be ported but more complex games with more complex engines and graphics written for Windows are not as easy as it seems to port over.

There are more friendly engines to port but even with that..... Is it worth it?

There arent a lot of AAA gamers on Mac. You have a lot of Couch gamers and such.
Its a lot of work to get a 200 GB game to work properly on another OS for which it is not intended. Plus with the future now being the M1 its not like they are writing it to use Wine like on linux etc.

The only reason more and more games that dont leech off of In App purchases coming to Apple via Apple Arcade is because apple is in part subsidizing the cost of doing so and paying developers to make those type of games that gamers want.
Games with stories, good graphics and none of this ad or In app purchase ********. We want full on games. But no ones done it until the game devs are freaking paid to do it and the game devs dont get much from the apple arcade and get most of their revenue to make it worthy by being paid to do it.

Apple wants to grow gaming and attract gamers. Apple Arcade and the stats of the people playing and paying for it will (Appel hopes) show that the ecosystem can be profitable for Developers to make games for them. (AAA titles anyways that are not centered on adds or massive iAps always showing adds n **** in yo face.

• Love
Reactions: Shirasaki

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
Given that's the GPU in last year's absolute-top-of-line 27" iMac, this is a pretty darned impressive result for something with a fraction of the energy consumption and thermals that work in a laptop.

If this is indeed the 24-core version, then this result is even more impressive. Extrapolating (quite a bit), it not all that far off the top-of-line mobile workstation GPUs in a vastly lower TDP, and seems like it'll live up to those over-simplified power-performance graphs.
If the 32-core variant is on par with the laptop RTX 3080, it will possibly encourage more game developers porting games to macOS.

Reactions: TakeshimaIslands

Hjupter Cerrud

macrumors regular
May 5, 2020
Panama
A game running 4K at 120fps will look blurry if the textures are 512x512.

Think about it…
I can open Unity right now and export a game with 8k textures for MacOS with metal and apple silicon support.I'm sure there has to be other engines working on Apple Silicon support with Metal.

I really hope this encourage more devs to export their games to Apple Silicon.

Are you game dev btw?

Last edited:
Reactions: newbmacuser2021

newbmacuser2021

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
So a 1080p TV has a maximum resolution 1920x1080.

In GTA 3, the view is 3rd person. So you never see the car past 30% of the screen.

30% of 1920 = 576 pixels

512x512

Alright, alright.

newbmacuser2021

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
I can open Unity right now and export a game with 8k textures for MacOS with metal and apple silicon support I'm there has to be other engines working on Apple Silicon support with Metal.

I really hope this encourage more devs to export their games to Apple Silicon.

Are you game dev btw?

I’ve made games, if that’s what you’re asking. :)

I’m not super familiar with Unity, but I’ve worked with OpenGL ES 2.0 on Android and anything above 2048x2048 will not load and show as black or transparent.

Thanks for letting me know, btw!

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I completely agree. Laptops have never been this powerful, historically…

What about the iPod Touch though? :)
From a CPU perspective, this is true--I was poking around Geekbench and I can't find anything mobile that can compete.

From a GPU perspective, that's not exactly true--you can get a high-end (~$6k) portable workstation from Dell or HP with a GPU that has significantly higher performance than this, and would also be faster than a 32-core version if this really is a 24-core.

But the caveat is that mobile workstations (and gaming laptops) that have desktop-grade GPUs are not really laptops in the same sense these MBPs are--they're absolute monsters, and are not really designed to be used on battery for more than a short period.

The bigger thing, though, is that Apple's is not only now producing a CPU that outstrips anything portable Intel offers and with significantly lower power consumption, they appear to be solidly in the running against higher-end dedicated mobile GPUs, and again with remarkably low power consumption.

Reactions: ZachApple

newbmacuser2021

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
To be clear, the 2048x2048 cap also applies to a Texture Atlas or a SpriteSheet.

So if you combine textures and load from one Bitmap, the max size in OpenGL ES 2.0 is 2048x2048, which is how you end up with 512x512.

512*4 = 2048 = 16 textures per Bitmap

And PS2 used 256x256, so they end up with 64 textures per Bitmap.

Sorry the math is wrong.

newbmacuser2021

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
If someone can name a 3D game that uses 2K or 4K textures, for macOS, that would be a good indicator of how well M1 Max performs.

Using something like Batman Arkham Asylum in 2009 for macOS is probably going to be 512x512 or 1024x1024.

Maybe I’m wrong.

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
Really? mine gets very hot and can get loud pending what I am doing. Also the 5600m isnt fast enough for me, so glad to be moving on with a maxed out Max.
Mine was almost maxed out, the only thing being I just went with 1tb of storage. Can’t wait until Oct 26th. Hope you enjoy yours

newbmacuser2021

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
If you use an 8K texture for the grass, the 8k texture is held in RAM as 8 MB. You only load it once into RAM.

The GPU draws the same 8K texture N times where N is the field of view. It might be 100 times. Still only uses 8 MB of RAM.

That’s why you want a 70000 score because then the GPU can draw the frame in a reasonable amount of time.

Like…. 70,000 times!

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I think it will be interest to see the wattage being used when running the benchmark. And can it be sustained or will there be extreme throttling. I can only imagine what the Apple Silicon M1 for the Mac Pro will be. Maybe the TDP would still be under 100 watts with a 64-core GPU?

macpot

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
Updated: OpenCL scores on M1 Max lower than Metal scores.

For comparison, RTX3060 70W is 43% faster with 17% more watt.

RTX3060 70W OpenCL Score 86390
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/compute/3555295

M1 Max 60W OpenCL Score 60167
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/compute/3551790

OpenCL is abandoned since macOS 10.14
The drivers are not updated, benching OpenCL on Mac isn't worth anything.

OpenGL is also abandoned, which is why games like Crusader Kings 3 suck on base Macbook M1 devices.

• Sad
Reactions: Shirasaki

Isengardtom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
This looks like the 24 core indeed

for comparison : my M1 iPad pro has a metal score of 21.326 with its 8 core GPU

newbmacuser2021

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
Nintendo 1985 in pseudo-swift

// load 2k texture

let texture = UIImage(“texture.png”)

// split into 16 512x512 bitmaps

for x in 0…3 {

for y in 0…3 {

let xLoc = x*512
let yLoc = y*512

let bmp = texture.croppedAt(x: xLoc, y: yLoc)

}

}

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.