MacBook sharp edges

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoulin333, Nov 18, 2007.

1. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Well i just sold my MBP because i needed a smaller laptop

... so i went and out and bought the Macbook... thinking it would be just as good as the MBP... well it is really

i mean i love it... except for one thing..

my wrists huuurrrt, the damn edges are soo sharp, i wish they were rounded

was thinking of taking it back (i bought at frys so no restocking fee)

and i guess since i need about 13" i will buy the dell

anyone else have this problem / gotten use to it?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i know a lot of people complain about this but i really have had no problems with this. i don't think its cuz ive gotten used to it, rather that i never had an initial problem with it all together...

3. Billy Bob macrumors regular

Yup I have exactly the same issue and it's driving me nuts. I can't believe macs designers didn't notice this. Mac is starting to put form over function too often

4. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Straighten your back, don't limp your wrists; you won't have problems then. How on earth do you use your laptop? show me a picture because I'm confused as to how you can honestly injure yourself.

5. Billy Bob macrumors regular

Another die hard mac supporter getting bend out of shape because I pointed out a flaw I see. Idealy if everything is at the right level the shart edges aren't too much of a problem but it's a LAP TOP, it's ment to be taken around and used in a variety of situations. I am right now sitting at my kitchen table which is fairly high and they are digging into my wrists as we spead. I'm also curious as to when I stated that it injured me? I said that it was uncomfortable......:rolleyes:

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

what will be really great is when you get carpal tunnel syndrome because you don't type in the correct position. Let me tell you, it feels GREAT! There's nothing quite like the sensation of half you hand going numb while you are trying to type a big report... And what does that have to do with being a mac fan? You can injur yourself on any computer.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

8. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Again, how do you position your wrists? let me demonstrate - I am sitting at my coffee table, sitting on my sofa, and this is how I normally place my wrists - as you can see, no cutting, perfectly normal position:

[​IMG]

Or are you stupid enough to have them positioned this way:

[​IMG]

9. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I seriously LOL'd at the limp wrist picture. But yeah, I don't see the issue either ...

10. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

i do every now and then but you just learn to not put so much pressure on the edges. And going from a macbook to a dell would be like going from a BMW to a U-haul.

11. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

I have good reason to have a limp wrist :p

Anyway, I'm still trying to work out how one can get 'cut into' given how it is designed - one would have to place their wrists at some sort of weird angle to achieve such a feat.

Do I really need to give a montage on 'how to place your arms/wrists when using a laptop at the kitchen table'?

12. Billy Bob macrumors regular

Actually it's quite common so I guess that everyone isn't quite as savy a typer as you:D. In regards to your previous picture I couldn't help but notice that you are sitting quite high, try sitting much lower than the table.... of course you're not going ot have a problem if you are positioned at that height:rolleyes:.

I must add that I find it quite amusing that you have become quite so offended by people criticizing a design feature of macs. If you are happy with your macbook then good for you, I'm sure that mac is delighted to have loyal customers like yourself that will go out of their way to try and defend them.

13. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

So I do need to do a 'kitchen table montage' - how about this sonny jim, move the laptop forward and place your arms on the table so that the table is support your arms and wrist; then you won't find that your wrists won't naturally slow/limp when typing.

No, I don't care about Apple - what gets me pissed off is when people create their own personal hell then turn around to blame it on Apple!

14. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I think the thing is that even though, in terms of reasonable posture, your wrists shouldn't be affected, other uses can hurt. For example, when I browse these forums, I don't have my hand suspended parallel to the track pad in order to scroll-- I have my palm/wrist partly on the edge on the laptop depending on the angle of my arm.

15. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

yep they are sharp, the older ones are worse........

16. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I dont use a desk i type on my knees..........

17. volvoben macrumors 6502

This thread seems to have fallen victim to squabbling already, but I’ll add my thoughts about the original topic for what they’re worth.

I too have been annoyed by the sharp edge. I’ve always thought they should have just beveled the edge a bit to avoid the issue. Under optimal typing circumstances it’s not really a problem due to the angle of the wrist, however once in a while when I’m laying on the couch or whathaveyou, it gets to be pretty annoying. A nice smooth area to rest your palms shouldn’t end in a sudden edge, it seems incongruous with the otherwise smooth feeling of the case.

I’ve also noticed that people with older macbooks tend to have little dings and nicks on this rough edge, and this tendency to accumulate flaws tends to catch loose fabrics. I’ve never experienced this, but female macbook owners I know have definitely complained about it. A minor issue, but my sister was pretty annoyed about it before I advised her to shave down the rough spots with a nail file.

The aluminum edge on MBPs is notably nicer although similar in design.

No, "straighten your back" is not a suitable response for the problem, that's avoiding the issue. It's a slight design flaw, nothing's perfect. It’s never made me question the value of the computer, it’s not a big deal, but it’s the type of issue Apple tends to remedy. They make luxury computers and are known for such details, it would be great if they smoothed this edge in the future.

18. jmack549 macrumors 6502

So...how much stock do you have in Apple?

19. Skyburning macrumors member

I don't see it as a design flaw as Apple expects that you know how to type. I use my Macbook everywhere. I lay down and use it..I use it in bed...if I'm using it, it is in my lap. I don't even have a desk to put it on. And I have no problems with the edges. I honestly don't know how you could.

And to the person that said "it's a LAPTOP."
    It's a notebook. It's not built/designed to be used in your lap, although it can be.

20. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

None, I prefer to purchase shares in utilities which have juicy dividends.

21. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Sure. I would trounce you with my shares of many a company, and would consider investing in Apple.

22. sinistersai4d macrumors member

sinistersai4d

lmao... seriously.... the only way your wrist would be on the edge is if you are typing with your laptop above your head.. i am on a mb right now and i'm trying to figure out how you can even manage to cut yourself lol It boggles my mind..

23. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

LOL.......now thats funny

24. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

so i guess when you type your elbows don't touch your desk? If yours don't you must look like a total idiot trying to type. Most NORMAL people who type have their elbows touching the desk which the makes the arm and wrist touch the sharp edge of the macbook. It's a design flaw and they've failed to fix it. OP, i know exactly what you mean.....my fiance used to have a macbook and i was surprised they still hadn't fixed it on updates.

25. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

haha are you serious? what would an imac or mac pro be used for then? i mean those can't be specifically designed for a desk could they? I mean although you can choose to use it there hahaha. Dude that's the funniest thing i've heard in a long time!!