Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacBook to See Design Refresh in Near Future?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

AppleInsider reports that Apple is currently overhauling the design of the MacBook, looking to bring a fresh exterior look to the aging entry-level notebook while also rebuilding the computer's interior architecture.
People familiar with Cupertino-based company's plans say the 13-inch portables are presently undergoing an industrial design overhaul that will see them reemerge in the coming months with a slimmer, lighter enclosure and restructured internal architecture to boot.
The report points to the likelihood of multiple models beginning at price points below the current $999 entry-level price, utilizing low-end components to allow Apple to better compete against budget PC notebooks.
Though details are few and far between, Apple is expected to achieve these markdowns through largely existing tactics, such as using lower-end components and previous-generation Core 2 Duo chips and architectures from Intel Corp. Battery life should receive a boost from cutting-edge technology that recently found its way into the company's other notebook offerings, while high-end legacy features like FireWire connectivity are likely to be sacrificed in the tradeoff.
Sources also claim that Apple had briefly considered using Intel's Atom processor in the MacBook as a way to quickly drop notebook prices, but decided against the move as the much-rumored tablet project came closer to fruition and allowed Apple to redevelop its ideas of the company's product mix for the future.

Apple's white polycarbonate MacBook has been viewed by many as sorely in need of a refresh, having been carried along as a single low-end model when the aluminum unibody MacBooks were introduced in October 2008 and left to carry the "MacBook" banner on its own when the aluminum models were rebranded as MacBook Pros in June 2009.

Article Link: MacBook to See Design Refresh in Near Future?

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
Yeah, I think this rumor is definitely true. I love my 2007 White MacBook design, but it is definitely lagging behind today's designs. It could definitely use a discontinue/refresh.

karmachrome

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Long time coming

This is good to hear - maybe this will allow Apple to break into the sub-elitist market. :D

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Sounds like the MacBook will be repositioned as a (my guess) $799 laptop with cheap components, no FW, and non-removable battery.

Arcadium

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2009
One word is finally. I hope they can make this one a little cheaper, and do something with something like an Atom Processor. I want a mac, but I already pack two PC's, and don't have the $1,000+ to cash out... A cheaper, lower-powered Mac would be welcomed by me ^-^

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
so the MS TV ads are working and apple needs a cheap laptop?

still i can get a Dell with a 15" backlit LCD for $700. cheaper if i get it with an old CPU

macJC50640

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
This will be very interesting, I'm looking forward to following this rumor. Hopefully, as another person said above, Apple will bring back a BlackBook-like design scheme. :)

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
I think it is a good deal to get the MacBook back. Not sure I would want one that is being built out of lower end components?

luckenbg

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Oh. I thought Apple was going to use 'MacBook' for their tablet. *sigh*

Ya I've often thought the macbook would become this apple tablet. It is definitely in line for replacement, just based on the fact they rebranded the old 13" UB macbooks.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
so the MS TV ads are working and apple needs a cheap laptop?

still i can get a Dell with a 15" backlit LCD for $700. cheaper if i get it with an old CPU

I don't think that's it. Apple is happy to have the higher end of the market and leave cheap, low-margin products alone. I think it's just that the design now looks old compared to the rest of the laptop lineup.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
what happens then to the lower end MBP? wouldn't that compete with the 13" model?

also, who would buy a mini for $699 when you get a MB for $799?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.