MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

We had originally published a belief that the MacBook Pro updates would be seen this Tuesday, based on information that Apple had started shipping new products to their Apple retail stores. Also known is thats that Best Buy inventory now shows new model numbers (MB402LL/A, MB403LL/A, and MB404LL/A) at existing MacBook Pro prices. As a result, all signs seem to point to MacBook Pro revisions on Tuesday.... however, we reworded our original story due to conflicting reports that the new products to be released on Tuesday will not be MacBook Pros.

Instead, there's been evidence that the MacBook alone will see minor revisions tomorrow.

This goes against common sense and all expectations as the MacBook has been recently revised in November of last year. Still, the information has given us enough pause to post this as a Page 2 item. While we generally avoid posting 11th hour predictions such as this, if this turns out to be true, it will also validate some additional information from the same source about the unreleased MacBook Pro updates.

Article Link

vanwas

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Anyone see the article on apple insider yet? Claiming prices around the current MBP models.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Anyone see the article on apple insider yet? Claiming prices around the current MBP models.

Ya, that's referenced. The question is if BestBuy really knows that info, or it's simply placeholder info.

we'll see tomorrow.

arn

Comment

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
Wow.. the plot thickens.

That would be two MacBook revisions during the duration of the current MBP.. Don't seem logical.. however there have been plenty of moves at defy logic recently.

Comment

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
oh no. ppl are going to snap.

i almost regret buying my refurb macbook pro in january, but i've made money since with it.

I do feel for you folks waiting to upgrade. I can understand the forthcoming frustration if this turns out to be the case....

Comment

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
Aren't the MacBook Pro part numbers MA### while the MacBook part numbers are MB###.

Maybe there's no correlation, but I couldn't find anything different.

Comment

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Aren't the MacBook Pro part numbers MA### while the MacBook part numbers are MB###.

The current iMacs start with MA also. They currently are MA876LL, MA877LL and MA878LL.
Maybe the next rev. will start with MB? ;)

Comment

wk127001

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
All the confusion...

With all this, this way and that, I'm pretty sure I won't be sleeping tonight. And it sucks. Honestly, I'm a little tired of waiting for my first MBP.

Comment

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Nope, the macbooks used to start with MA too. You can go to Apple's website and look back through their product spec lists and see the changing model numbers, its just sequential. Linky

Comment

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Agh the MBPs deserve an update more :mad: Gonna be a loooong Monday, methinks.

Comment

Lefteous

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2007
That would be great! I want more than a refresh and that means wait for mid march :D OK for me!

Comment

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
Nope, the macbooks used to start with MA too. You can go to Apple's website and look back through their product spec lists and see the changing model numbers, its just sequential. Linky

Thanks, raises my hopes a little...

I'm hoping for new MBPs before my ADC membership expires and thereby my ADC hardware discount is wasted.

Comment

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
OMG -- I thought the MBP wait was finally over. I am dying to get a new 17".

I don't understand how the MacBook Pro update could possibly take so long. The processors were officially announced at CES. What other component could delay the MBP's availability? New graphics cards? Slim BlueRay drives? Any speculation? 266 days is a long time.

Or could there be a major case redesign to make it slimmer and lighter? Could the wait be strategic so as to not cut into MacBook Air sales -- basically wait until most people who wanted a MacBook Air have bought theirs since once the MBP's are out the MB Air may not be as competitive? Pondering on this...

I really hope we'll see new MBP's tomorrow, but then Arn's MB source actually sounded kind of credible, almost more credible than questionable Best Buy part numbers which could well be there already for MBP updates that are still several weeks out... ah, what torture.

Comment

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
I would be surprised if the update is for MB.

As it is, the MB and the MBP are already too close in power and features to allow for the substancial price difference between the two laptop lines.

Heck the MB even has a magnetic latch and better 802.11 reception than the MBP. Making htem even closer would be a slap to all the PRO customers.

Besides the prices quoted are the pricess for MBP systems.

We would know tomorrow. This clearly shows that we are all guessing here or Apple is planning a giant price increase on MB laptops. Maybe you should order an MB now to get the cheaper price, LOL.

Comment

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
I was in the apple store yesterday evening, putting a glossy and matte screen side by side (for the 15" pro's). I was helped by a rep (non-genius... just an employee).

After the fact, I asked if the time capsules were going to be available... She said they ship this week.

I then asked her if the Macbook pros were gonig to be updated soon, as I didn't want to spend $2500 on a laptop that was going to be updated in 2 days. She said "I doubt it. The Macbooks would probably be updated before the macbook pros".

I thought nothing of it at first, but now :confused:... Maybe it was a sign???

Comment

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
Maybe by MacBook they meant Mac Mini. It is in a dire need of an upgrade.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.