Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
I just bought a 24" iMac that isn't even here yet. I ordered it Thursday and they didn't ship it in spite of them saying things ship the same day, then Friday came around and it's still not shipped... it says it is but the tracking info is no good.

So anyway, this will be my first Apple "MAC" and I'm a bit worried about the screen issues and freezing problems. I decided to check with MacMall's return policy just in case I couldn't get an amicable resolution from Apple. Turns out, MacMall doesn't let you return Apple products!

So, what? If Apple replaces my screen (if it's problematic) and I have the same problems I have NO WAY to return the product for a refund. How is this even legal? If I buy something at best buy and it's defective I have 30 days to return it no questions asked.

I don't think Apple will let me return it to them since I didn't buy direct, right?

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Even if you didn't buy it from Apple, the company is still obligated to support the product. You've got a legit serial number, and you can take it into any Apple store for any service issues that would have fallen under the warranty.

It's the same as buying it in store, except, you don't get the lee-way of returning on a whim. So if you're one of those folks who will return a Macbook for a slight tilt of the screen, backlight problems, scratches on the backside, uneven closing of doors and/or screens, 1 or 2 dead pixels, then you're might be stuck with the product, but Apple will fix or replace soimething is materially deficient.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Even if you didn't buy it from Apple, the company is still obligated to support the product. You've got a legit serial number, and you can take it into any Apple store for any service issues that would have fallen under the warranty.

It's the same as buying it in store, except, you don't get the lee-way of returning on a whim. So if you're one of those folks who will return a Macbook for a slight tilt of the screen, backlight problems, scratches on the backside, uneven closing of doors and/or screens, 1 or 2 dead pixels, then you're might be stuck with the product, but Apple will fix or replace soimething is materially deficient.

That's fine and dandy and I'm happy for that. However if Apple "Repairs" the screen by replacing it, and the new screen has the same problem (this has been posted on AI, Apple Discussions and here AFAIK) I'm not going to want to keep it. I didn't skip BUILDING another PC in favor of an iMac to end up with sub-par quality parts.

If in the end I'm dissatisfied with the product I have NO recourse for return. That is insane to me.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If I understand this right, you are getting yourself all worked up about problems that you _might_ have with a product that you haven't even received yet, which _might_ not get fixed? What if you get a Mac that is absolutely fine? It has happened to people on occasion, you know. I think the only thing I want to quote from your post is this:

That is insane to me.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
If I understand this right, you are getting yourself all worked up about problems that you _might_ have with a product that you haven't even received yet, which _might_ not get fixed? What if you get a Mac that is absolutely fine? It has happened to people on occasion, you know. I think the only thing I want to quote from your post is this:

The point is that the OP didn't realize that it was impossible to return the product when he bought it. He's now thinking it was a bad idea to buy from this vendor. I agree -- he shouldn't put up with that, and I believe he can get around the problem by refusing to accept the shipment when it arrives.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin

If it's absolutely fine then yes I'm worked up for nothing :) Sorry I'm a pessimist by nature. :)

The point is that the OP didn't realize that it was impossible to return the product when he bought it. He's now thinking it was a bad idea to buy from this vendor. I agree -- he shouldn't put up with that, and I believe he can get around the problem by refusing to accept the shipment when it arrives.

I probably could, yeah. Though I'd likely be out my shipping.. which is better than being out 1800 dollars I suppose.

I asked a macmall rep what my recourse is if I'm not completely satisfied after trying to get Apple to take care of the problem (if it exists).. and they had no answers.

Bewildering.

trojanmike34

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
Did you buy it with an American Express card? If I recall they have a 90 day return policy. I received a defective product once and the company wouldn't refund my money. I called Amex and they credited my account, no questions asked.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Did you buy it with an American Express card? If I recall they have a 90 day return policy. I received a defective product once and the company wouldn't refund my money. I called Amex and they credited my account, no questions asked.

Nope, Visa. I don't own an Amex but it sounds like a good reason to.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Nope, Visa. I don't own an Amex but it sounds like a good reason to.

Visa usually offers things like that too (I know my MC does). Check out your CC's policies by visiting their webpage. You'll be surprised as to how good some of their benefits are.

As for your impending heart attack over a potential problem, you're worried about what might go wrong with your iMac because you've read about it on forums. HMMM...if only the entire world followed the advice of a few angered souls;) I think the odds are that your iMac will have no problems at all. Remember, places like this (as great as they are) always attract negative attention from people who've had problems. The thousands of iMac users who have had no problems don't feel like creating a thread and saying "Mine is perfect."

Now, as for your next step, if you're really worried about it, do what wordmunger suggests. If all you're worried about are potential hardware flaws, then just keep calling Apple and sending it in. Your problem is likely to be solved, and you're most likely to end up being happy with your machine.

mets1125

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Queens, NY
I agree. You should probably refuse to accept the shipment when it arrives. I think then they will be forced to take it back.

I totally agree with the above poster.. another thinkg to try is call your credit card and see if they charged you if they didnt explain to them what happended and try to block the charge.

CashGap

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Music City, USA
Shippers do not always promptly update tracking numbers, USPS is the worst, FedEx probably the best.

If you are pessimistic by nature, it's probably a good idea to review policies before purchasing, rather than after.

These vendors sell Apple-brand product at pitifully low margins, and they only make money on product moving in one direction. So they declare policies that keep product from moving in the other direction. And we the combination of policy/price that we prefer.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Shippers do not always promptly update tracking numbers, USPS is the worst, FedEx probably the best.

If you are pessimistic by nature, it's probably a good idea to review policies before purchasing, rather than after.

These vendors sell Apple-brand product at pitifully low margins, and they only make money on product moving in one direction. So they declare policies that keep product from moving in the other direction. And we the combination of policy/price that we prefer.

Yes, I should have. However I've never come across a company (that I recall) that doesn't allow returns.

Twinkie

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Milford, MI
I don't really understand why people buy from MacMall in the first place.

From what I've seen, they typically throw in some ultracheap RAM that you have to pay for and jump through rebates to get for free, or $3 off MSRP.

Personally, I'd rather spend a few bucks more and get anything more expensive than an iPod directly from Apple. That way, if something goes wrong, I can talk to someone at the Apple Store, and they're typically very nice and reasonable.

That's limited to $300 per purchase.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin

Yes, but atleast I usually see "Shipper has electronically submitted package for pickup" or some varation. UPS's page says these aren't even tracking numbers (yet).

I ordered Thursday, no Ship... friday 'shipped'.. yet I called today and they said it shipped Saturday (yeah right).
:rolleyes:

I don't really understand why people buy from MacMall in the first place.

From what I've seen, they typically throw in some ultracheap RAM that you have to pay for and jump through rebates to get for free, or $3 off MSRP.

Personally, I'd rather spend a few bucks more and get anything more expensive than an iPod directly from Apple. That way, if something goes wrong, I can talk to someone at the Apple Store, and they're typically very nice and reasonable.

That's limited to $300 per purchase.

I'd usually agree. However, I saved 100 on the iMac (after rebate), 144.38 in Taxes, I get a printer free after rebate, parallels for 10 after rebate. So In short, I saved 394.37 all together when said and done. That's not something to balk at.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Your bad.

You wanted the savings, but you don't want the reduction in service level. You wanted to avoid paying your State taxes so you didn't buy locally. You didn't care to read the terms and conditions before placing an order, and now you are stuck with accepting normal warranty service on your product like every other person.

"I have no way [to keep returning products for refund at my whim] How is that even legal?" FFS. It's legal because that is the contract that you agreed to.

Y'know, I am about about fed up listening to people who have this exaggerated sense of entitlement. That somehow, the rules that everyone else has to play by should be bent for them.

If you refuse shipment, expect to lose the shipping charges (both ways) and a restocking fee, plus a delay of some weeks before the amount is credited back.
If the courier loses the parcel on the way back to MacMall, heavenhelpyou.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Your bad.

You wanted the savings, but you don't want the reduction in service level. You wanted to avoid paying your State taxes so you didn't buy locally. You didn't care to read the terms and conditions before placing an order, and now you are stuck with accepting normal warranty service on your product like every other person.

"I have no way [to keep returning products for refund at my whim] How is that even legal?" FFS. It's legal because that is the contract that you agreed to.

Y'know, I am about about fed up listening to people who have this exaggerated sense of entitlement. That somehow, the rules that everyone else has to play by should be bent for them.

If you refuse shipment, expect to lose the shipping charges (both ways) and a restocking fee, plus a delay of some weeks before the amount is credited back.
If the courier loses the parcel on the way back to MacMall, heavenhelpyou.

:(Take it easy. Please! (Not about the OP, about you).

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Your bad.

Sense of entitlement? Please. It's basic consumer support. Nothing more. I didn't say I should get special treatment I merely said that if I am dissatisfied even if apple attempts to fix the problem (if it exists for me) I should be allowed to return the product within the first 30 days. This is basic consumer support, nothing more.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
You wanted the savings, but you don't want the reduction in service level.

I don't mean to pile on, but it's important to remember that places like MacMall can offer lower prices because they don't provide as much service. Any place that accepts returns has to spend money to deal with that, so they build into the price of each item an extra percentage to cover returns.

That all said, I would not get too worried. If there is a problem with your machine, Apple is very good with warranty support. You can take your computer to an Apple store or send it to them for repairs--it will be no more expensive sending to Apple than sending it to macmall, who will simply send it to apple anyway. It's not atypical for electronics stores to send you to the manufacturer for service, so really macmall isn't too different from any other place.

Twinkie

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Milford, MI
:(Take it easy. Please! (Not about the OP, about you).
I dunno, I kind of agree with him.

It isn't entirely rational to expect the same level of service that you'd receive from an Apple Store, when you're paying $400 less to buy mail order.

Sense of entitlement? Please. It's basic consumer support. Nothing more. I didn't say I should get special treatment I merely said that if I am dissatisfied even if apple attempts to fix the problem (if it exists for me) I should be allowed to return the product within the first 30 days. This is basic consumer support, nothing more.
Why would you be dissatisfied after Apple fixes the problem?

I think that's the crux of the issue here (in terms of entitlement). Let's say your iMac arrives with dead pixels, and Apple replaces your display.

Where's the problem there, other than you not being able to have it replaced with an entirely new unit (which is indeed special treatment, common or not)?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Reading through the responses to the post, it's looking like refusing shipment might be prohibitively expensive. Honestly, you could probably sell it locally for near full-price if you're truly unhappy with the purchase. Just make sure to keep it in pristine condition.

Next time, I bet you'll check on those terms and conditions before buying.

That said, theres a 99 percent chance you'll love your computer, so no harm, no foul!

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
It isn't entirely rational to expect the same level of service that you'd receive from an Apple Store, when you're paying $400 less to buy mail order.

Why would you be dissatisfied after Apple fixes the problem?

I think that's the crux of the issue here (in terms of entitlement). Let's say your iMac arrives with dead pixels, and Apple replaces your display.

Where's the problem there, other than you not being able to have it replaced with an entirely new unit (which is indeed special treatment, common or not)?

Because thus far, Apple ISN'T fixing the problem. The displays they've replaced have the exact same issue (for better or worse by a degree). Apple did warranty work, but the root cause of the problem still exists, faulty panels or low quality panels.

I'm not saying I deserve a new unit because of anything. I understand they'll replace faulty components.

That said, theres a 99 percent chance you'll love your computer, so no harm, no foul!

Hopefully this is the case. It's my first Apple computer. All I've owned from them in the past is a 5th Gen iPod! :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
That's fine and dandy and I'm happy for that. However if Apple "Repairs" the screen by replacing it, and the new screen has the same problem (this has been posted on AI, Apple Discussions and here AFAIK) I'm not going to want to keep it. I didn't skip BUILDING another PC in favor of an iMac to end up with sub-par quality parts.

If in the end I'm dissatisfied with the product I have NO recourse for return. That is insane to me.

AFAIK, no reseller is going to accept a return on a machine that the manufacturer has already performed warranty repairs on. Apple has to see that warranty issue through to its conclusion...whatever it may be.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
AFAIK, no reseller is going to accept a return on a machine that the manufacturer has already performed warranty repairs on. Apple has to see that warranty issue through to its conclusion...whatever it may be.

The reseller doesn't even take returns on non opened apple product either. Ludicrous I say!
:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.