macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

Frodotg

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2016
You can get one from a Late-2009 MacBook model A1342, take the casing off, and it'll fit in just fine.
Hi @dosdude1
Just a little question... If i change the card it's necessary to make a repatch of the system or update any
driver in the mini???

Thank you for your time!!!

Last edited:

dlfgma

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
Thanks for the amazing work!

Any chance you can release the source of your tool, so we can self-host the feed?
@foxlet, if you haven't already done so, you can use Cloudflare to cache the URLs to further offload traffic.
[doublepost=1474869735][/doublepost]
I quickly whipped up a site so people don't see errors anymore.

http://swdist.furcode.co/
Can you make this avail over HTTPS? Let's Encrypt offers free certs...

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2016
@foxlet, if you haven't already done so, you can use Cloudflare to cache the URLs to further offload traffic.
[doublepost=1474869735][/doublepost]

Can you make this avail over HTTPS? Let's Encrypt offers free certs...
Uhh, both load balancing and HTTPS is already available, and has always been active since the inception of the project. Just add an S if you want that; https://swdist.furcode.co/ (I don't support the Let's Encrypt project so you won't see those certs there).

CloudFlare is used partly for DNS but is too restrictive for interactive applications. (Caching is not useful as it only makes updates "stick", making autopush unable to work properly)

Last edited:
Reactions: dlfgma

Frodotg

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2016
Nope, should work after replacement.
Glad to hear it @dosdude1 i will try replacing the card, but in mean time i still have problems with
the ethernet connection, I lost the connection every 30 secs. and it feels very slow and
unstable, any idea what's causing the issue??

Thank you!!!

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
You can get one from a Late-2009 MacBook model A1342, take the casing off, and it'll fit in just fine.
are you sure?

comparing the A1342 and the A1283 airport cards, the board layouts look different to me (screw hole placement ecc)

A1283
https://it.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+mini+Model+A1283+AirPort-Bluetooth+Combo+Card+Replacement/1060

A1342
https://it.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Unibody+Model+A1342+AirPort-Bluetooth+Board+Replacement/1704

I have been trying to upgrade the airport card on my late 2009 mini for a while now and have not been able to find a more recent and compatible version of that card (except for external solutions such as wifi / bluetooth usb dongles ...)

Thank you

OhhSoSick

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
@dosdude1 hello ! What's change with the 4.1.2 ? I have installed sierra with 4.0.6 on my MacBook 5.1, and i think i have a problem with the sound, it's weird sometimes

coasterOneEightThree

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2016
In the meantime I was able to install Sierra with the patch tool (version 4.1.2) on a 13" MacBookPro5,5 (Mid 2009) and everything works as expected – just the recovery partition, although it's there (checked this in Terminal), isn't shown on the boot screen or in System Preferences. CMD-R at startup results in a prohibitory symbol. The post install patch doesn't help either. I erased the recovery partition completely and installed Sierra again. But booting from it simply doesn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

dosdude1

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
are you sure?

comparing the A1342 and the A1283 airport cards, the board layouts look different to me (screw hole placement ecc)

A1283
https://it.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+mini+Model+A1283+AirPort-Bluetooth+Combo+Card+Replacement/1060

A1342
https://it.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Unibody+Model+A1342+AirPort-Bluetooth+Board+Replacement/1704

I have been trying to upgrade the airport card on my late 2009 mini for a while now and have not been able to find a more recent and compatible version of that card (except for external solutions such as wifi / bluetooth usb dongles ...)

Thank you
The cards look different, but the actual connector is the same and in the same place.

fischersd

macrumors 601
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
@ChrisChaval - I wouldn't worry about the screw holes lining up - this is a mini, not a MacBook (how much do you move it around anyways?) :)
If you're really worried, take one of the existing screws to your hardware store and see if you can find a self-locking one of the same size and similar thread bore. (or, if you have a friend that has been in tech for a long time, they likely have a cache of screws that you can pilfer from) :)

You really just need one screw holding it in place...
[doublepost=1474900540][/doublepost]
In the meantime I was able to install Sierra with the patch tool (version 4.1.2) on a 13" MacBookPro5,5 (Mid 2009) and everything works as expected – just the recovery partition, although it's there (checked this in Terminal), isn't shown on the boot screen or in System Preferences. CMD-R at startup results in a prohibitory symbol. The post install patch doesn't help either. I erased the recovery partition completely and installed Sierra again. But booting from it simply doesn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Did you patch the recovery partition? (that's an option on the post-install tool) - it also has to be patched to allow our non-supported systems to work.

RafaelMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2016
Netherlands (Dutch)
I tried a clean instal.. So I remover el captain etc. And now it stil instelling wont work..
"THE operation couldn't be compleated. Undentificated error: 0
Quiz the installeren to restart your computer and try again.

HELP

OhhSoSick

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
I tried a clean instal.. So I remover el captain etc. And now it stil instelling wont work..
"THE operation couldn't be compleated. Undentificated error: 0
Quiz the installeren to restart your computer and try again.

HELP
Try with another USB key. Your problem looks like a damaged key. Follow the instruction of Dosdude1

RafaelMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2016
Netherlands (Dutch)
Try with another USB key. Your problem looks like a damaged key. Follow the instruction of Dosdude1
USB key -> USB port?
I have a MacBook Pro 2009 and I tried on both.
I already tried a USB (the prevuses didn't boot)

Is there a way to fast reinstall el captain so I can do things on my MacBook again?
(I don't have a other mac at home, so I can't get software from there... only PC/laptops)

HELP

OhhSoSick

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
USB key -> USB port?
I have a MacBook Pro 2009 and I tried on both.
I already tried a USB (the prevuses didn't boot)

Is there a way to fast reinstall el captain so I can do things on my MacBook again?
(I don't have a other mac at home, so I can't get software from there... only PC/laptops)

HELP
you need a different disk usb, your problem looks like a corrupted file (did a search on youtube with your error code). However, you need a different layout mac

OhhSoSick

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
Uhh? From most sites I see a MacBook Pro is good at specs to run it...
So could you be more specific than just different layout mac.

Thx/Help
sorry I'm french, my english is not very good. you need a Mac to make a second installation usb disk (with another USB drive)

giannisk

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Greece
@dosdude1
My Macpro 4,1 have Sierra now with full working wifi . Thank you very much. Everything went smooth like instructions.
Although it does optimise my disk for 6 hours and have not finished yet.
I did update from El Capitan, not a clean install. Do you think i should force cache rebuilted or let it finish ?
Also my 7-port usb 3.0 hub is recognised as usb 2.0.
Can't wait for my Macbookpro 4,1 to come from gpu replacement to do it again.
Thank you again
Shame on Apple

matov

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Seville
MY iSIGHT CAMERA IS WORKING AGAIN! SEE POINT #11 BELOW FOR DETAILS

11. In a last-minute post, only minutes before I was going to perform a clean install of 16A323 Final on my early 2009 iMac's internal hard drive, using my USB external hard drive where I had installed Sierra Final using dosdude1's macOS Sierra Patch Tool, a MacRumors newbie named "brunsik" mentioned that he had VirtualBox installed, and that from reading an article on another website, he resolved his iSight camera issue by detaching his iSight camera from VirtualBox.

As it turns out, I also have VirtualBox installed.

While brunsik offered some instructions regarding how to do this, I couldn't quite make sense of them. I had already been contemplating uninstalling VirtualBox for some time, being as I no longer run SheepShaver in it anyway. So I ran the VirtualBox uninstaller script that is included in the VirtualBox DMG file.

While I was hopeful, given everything that I have tried thus far -- which has all failed -- my expectation was not too high.

After removing every shred of my VirtualBox installation from my hard drive -- please note that you do need to do a spotlight search and/or use something like CleanApp, because the VirtualBox uninstaller leaves a lot behind -- I ran the System Information app in the Applications/Utilities folder again, and looked under the Hardware/Camera section. Lo and behold! My camera was listed again!

So I launched FaceTime, followed by Photo Booth, and my camera is indeed working again in both of them! :)

Same here, had virtualbox installed, and by starting a virtual machine and connecting/disconnecting the isight to it the webcam came back to life.

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Guam, Mariana Islands, U.S.A.
Same here, had virtualbox installed, and by starting a virtual machine and connecting/disconnecting the isight to it the webcam came back to life.
That is great news! You are at least the 4th person now who has publicly noted this serious problem between macOS Sierra, VirtualBox and the iSight camera.

May I ask what machine you did this on?

As I explained earlier, I didn't quite understand brunsik's instructions, so I just deleted VirtualBox in its entirety, since I really didn't need it.

However, I don't doubt that there are still many others out there who are having this very same problem, but who don't know yet what the solution is to their broken iSight camera problem.

Having said that, I would like to ask a favor of you.

If you have the time and the interest, would you be willing to write a brief, clear, step-by-step tutorial -- including a few screen captures -- which explains exactly where and how to connect and disconnect the iSight camera within a VirtualBox VM?

I think doing so will help anyone else who comes along in the future, looking for a solution to the broken camera.

I would make it a brand new thread, with a very distinct name, so that forum members know exactly what the thread is about.

Thanks for considering it. :)

aquaticflow

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
That is great news! You are at least the 4th person now who has publicly noted this serious problem between macOS Sierra, VirtualBox and the iSight camera.

May I ask what machine you did this on?

As I explained earlier, I didn't quite understand brunsik's instructions, so I just deleted VirtualBox in its entirety, since I really didn't need it.

However, I don't doubt that there are still many others out there who are having this very same problem, but who don't know yet what the solution is to their broken iSight camera problem.

Having said that, I would like to ask a favor of you.

If you have the time and the interest, would you be willing to write a brief, clear, step-by-step tutorial -- including a few screen captures -- which explains exactly where and how to connect and disconnect the iSight camera within a VirtualBox VM?

I think doing so will help anyone else who comes along in the future, looking for a solution to the broken camera.

I would make it a brand new thread, with a very distinct name, so that forum members know exactly what the thread is about.

Thanks for considering it. :)
Even though connecting the camera, starting up a VM, then disconnecting it, and shutting down the VM works, it always reverts to not working after logging out/restarting... although it sounds like if you remove it entirely, the problem goes away..

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.