macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by redheeler, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. foxlet macrumors regular

foxlet

2. macsba macrumors 6502

Yes, it's there. Just look in the menu Buddies then FaceTime Video.

3. Frodotg, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

Frodotg macrumors newbie

Frodotg

Hi @dosdude1
    Just a little question... If i change the card it's necessary to make a repatch of the system or update any
    driver in the mini???

Thank you for your time!!!

4. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

Nope, should work after replacement.

5. Jeantro macrumors member

thanks

6. pkouame macrumors regular

pkouame

Ahhh...you mean Facetiming a contact in iMessage. Ok makes sense.

7. dlfgma macrumors member

@foxlet, if you haven't already done so, you can use Cloudflare to cache the URLs to further offload traffic.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2016 ---
    Can you make this avail over HTTPS? Let's Encrypt offers free certs...

8. foxlet, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

foxlet macrumors regular

foxlet

Uhh, both load balancing and HTTPS is already available, and has always been active since the inception of the project. Just add an S if you want that; https://swdist.furcode.co/ (I don't support the Let's Encrypt project so you won't see those certs there).

CloudFlare is used partly for DNS but is too restrictive for interactive applications. (Caching is not useful as it only makes updates "stick", making autopush unable to work properly)

9. Frodotg macrumors newbie

Frodotg

Glad to hear it @dosdude1 i will try replacing the card, but in mean time i still have problems with
    the ethernet connection, I lost the connection every 30 secs. and it feels very slow and
    unstable, any idea what's causing the issue??

Thank you!!!

10. ChrisChaval macrumors member

ChrisChaval

are you sure?

comparing the A1342 and the A1283 airport cards, the board layouts look different to me (screw hole placement ecc)

A1283
    https://it.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+mini+Model+A1283+AirPort-Bluetooth+Combo+Card+Replacement/1060

A1342
    https://it.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Unibody+Model+A1342+AirPort-Bluetooth+Board+Replacement/1704

I have been trying to upgrade the airport card on my late 2009 mini for a while now and have not been able to find a more recent and compatible version of that card (except for external solutions such as wifi / bluetooth usb dongles ...)

Thank you

11. OhhSoSick macrumors newbie

@dosdude1 hello ! What's change with the 4.1.2 ? I have installed sierra with 4.0.6 on my MacBook 5.1, and i think i have a problem with the sound, it's weird sometimes

12. coasterOneEightThree macrumors newbie

coasterOneEightThree

In the meantime I was able to install Sierra with the patch tool (version 4.1.2) on a 13" MacBookPro5,5 (Mid 2009) and everything works as expected – just the recovery partition, although it's there (checked this in Terminal), isn't shown on the boot screen or in System Preferences. CMD-R at startup results in a prohibitory symbol. The post install patch doesn't help either. I erased the recovery partition completely and installed Sierra again. But booting from it simply doesn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

13. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

The cards look different, but the actual connector is the same and in the same place.

14. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

@ChrisChaval - I wouldn't worry about the screw holes lining up - this is a mini, not a MacBook (how much do you move it around anyways?) :)
    If you're really worried, take one of the existing screws to your hardware store and see if you can find a self-locking one of the same size and similar thread bore. (or, if you have a friend that has been in tech for a long time, they likely have a cache of screws that you can pilfer from) :)

You really just need one screw holding it in place...
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2016 ---
    Did you patch the recovery partition? (that's an option on the post-install tool) - it also has to be patched to allow our non-supported systems to work.

15. RafaelMac macrumors newbie

RafaelMac

I tried a clean instal.. So I remover el captain etc. And now it stil instelling wont work..
    "THE operation couldn't be compleated. Undentificated error: 0
    Quiz the installeren to restart your computer and try again.

HELP

16. OhhSoSick macrumors newbie

Try with another USB key. Your problem looks like a damaged key. Follow the instruction of Dosdude1

17. RafaelMac macrumors newbie

RafaelMac

USB key -> USB port?
    I have a MacBook Pro 2009 and I tried on both.
    I already tried a USB (the prevuses didn't boot)

Is there a way to fast reinstall el captain so I can do things on my MacBook again?
    (I don't have a other mac at home, so I can't get software from there... only PC/laptops)

HELP

18. OhhSoSick macrumors newbie

you need a different disk usb, your problem looks like a corrupted file (did a search on youtube with your error code). However, you need a different layout mac

19. RafaelMac macrumors newbie

RafaelMac

Uhh? From most sites I see a MacBook Pro is good at specs to run it...
    So could you be more specific than just different layout mac.

Thx/Help

20. OhhSoSick macrumors newbie

sorry I'm french, my english is not very good. you need a Mac to make a second installation usb disk (with another USB drive)

21. giannisk macrumors newbie

@dosdude1
    My Macpro 4,1 have Sierra now with full working wifi . Thank you very much. Everything went smooth like instructions.
    Although it does optimise my disk for 6 hours and have not finished yet.
    I did update from El Capitan, not a clean install. Do you think i should force cache rebuilted or let it finish ?
    Also my 7-port usb 3.0 hub is recognised as usb 2.0.
    Can't wait for my Macbookpro 4,1 to come from gpu replacement to do it again.
    Thank you again
    Shame on Apple

22. matov macrumors newbie

matov

Same here, had virtualbox installed, and by starting a virtual machine and connecting/disconnecting the isight to it the webcam came back to life.

23. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

That is great news! You are at least the 4th person now who has publicly noted this serious problem between macOS Sierra, VirtualBox and the iSight camera.

May I ask what machine you did this on?

As I explained earlier, I didn't quite understand brunsik's instructions, so I just deleted VirtualBox in its entirety, since I really didn't need it.

However, I don't doubt that there are still many others out there who are having this very same problem, but who don't know yet what the solution is to their broken iSight camera problem.

Having said that, I would like to ask a favor of you.

If you have the time and the interest, would you be willing to write a brief, clear, step-by-step tutorial -- including a few screen captures -- which explains exactly where and how to connect and disconnect the iSight camera within a VirtualBox VM?

I think doing so will help anyone else who comes along in the future, looking for a solution to the broken camera.

I would make it a brand new thread, with a very distinct name, so that forum members know exactly what the thread is about.

Thanks for considering it. :)

24. aquaticflow macrumors member

Even though connecting the camera, starting up a VM, then disconnecting it, and shutting down the VM works, it always reverts to not working after logging out/restarting... although it sounds like if you remove it entirely, the problem goes away..

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.