macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by redheeler, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

Please use @foxlet's tool to switch to the modified catalog URL to receive updates. http://swdist.furcode.co/bin/AUSEnabler.zip

2. vynu macrumors member

vynu

3. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

It simply changes the catalog URL, allowing the App Store to download custom update distribution files that bypass the system check. This is just to allow streamlined installing of 10.12.x updates.

4. Blackriton macrumors newbie

Blackriton

Thanks dosdude1 for this clarification.

5. RafaelMac macrumors newbie

RafaelMac

Hey, having trouble at booting the installer. after about 3/4 it stops and gives the "NO".
    I think there is a solution somewhere in the forum, but the form is already 122 pages... So i hope someone can help me like this faster ;).

EDIT: dosdude1 gave me the answer on his YT.
    most problems with that wil be solved by using a other USB

6. pkouame macrumors regular

pkouame

After creating the patched installer. Your mac may try to reboot itself, in which case you may get the CCOD (crossed-circle-of-death) !
    Reboot with your installer and post-install per instructions.
    Follow instructions closely.

7. gages macrumors newbie

So to enable updates bypassing the system check, which Option do I choose?

8. foxlet macrumors regular

foxlet

If you're using AUSEnabler and are unsure about which branch to choose, use Production.

The other branch (seed) is for Developers and early adopters who want to try updates before they officially come out.

9. gages macrumors newbie

Got it, you guys are seriously awesome!

10. RafaelMac, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

RafaelMac macrumors newbie

RafaelMac

IMG_0004.JPG I made a new USB installer and it works now. But now the installation gives a error... (error: 0)
    Who can help me out?

11. gpatpandp macrumors 6502

gpatpandp

Upon attempting to patch the recovery partition with dosdude1's tool v4.0.7, I am getting the following: "The disk containing volume "macOS" does not appear to contain a valid Recovery partition". The recovery partition was created by Carbon Copy Cloner after I initially installed macOS 10.12 (16A323) Sierra on a volume mounted on a supported mac and then cloned it over to my unsupported machine. In replacing the PlatformSupport.plist in the recovery partition with an appropriately edited version, the partition boots though because it lacks the LegacyUSBInjector.kext, I am unable to access it.

Anyway to fix this ?

12. Jeantro macrumors member

just a question I installed Sierra on my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) I just get a problem with iMessage I can get the webcam
    Is there an issue ?

Facetime work perfectly

13. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

My friend, you should know that just saying "I just get a problem with iMessage" is not going to generate a lot of responses here, as much as folks here would like to help you. It would be very helpful if you could be more descriptive, and more clearly describe exactly what kind of problem you are experiencing. I think you will get your issue resolved a lot quicker that way. :)

14. harlleysathler macrumors member

Oh! Thank you so much! I can find one for a really good price!

15. Jeantro, Sep 25, 2016

Jeantro macrumors member

no problem, I show you screenshot it's better for explain, as you can see I have no access to my webcam. In Facetine the webcam is recognized

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. RumorzGuy macrumors 6502

RumorzGuy

When you click on "About This Mac" and look at the "System Report", do you see your camera listed in the "Hardware/Camera" section?

Also, do you have VirtualBox installed on your machine?

17. jimithing1 macrumors regular

He doesn't have any in stock right now but this is the card I have on my 2008 MP and works fine in Sierra:
    http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p33/Wifi_AC_and_Bluetooth_Airport_Card.html

18. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

@jimithing1, @harlleysathler - the Mac mini 3,1 (A1283) uses a different connector than that. It has a ribbon connector.
    (see: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+mini+Model+A1283+AirPort-Bluetooth+Combo+Card+Replacement/1060)

It's my understanding that the antennae connectors are also different than the newer Macs.

I haven't heard of anyone getting a replacement card for the 2009 Mac Mini's (yet).

19. zackkmac, Sep 25, 2016

zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Quick question - how do we get the legacy USB kexts installed if we can't actually log in and use the computer without working USB/Bluetooth?

I just upgraded to 10.12 on my 2008 iMac and everything but the WiFi and audio worked. But after replacing the Broadcom WiFi card with the compatible Atheros card I bought, I zapped the NVRAM to try and fix the audio problem I had and now my USB and Bluetooth both stopped working (but they did work fine after the upgrade until today?).

So I'd like to keep 10.12 working since I just bought the new wireless card specifically for it, but no idea how to re-install the kext files. I'm afraid of wiping and doing a clean install only to still not be able to use the keyboard and mouse.

Side question - Does this actually add AC WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 to Mac Pro 3,1 with no install hiccups? Wonder if it would do the same to my 2008 iMac 24"? I can tell the connectors are the same.

20. Jeantro macrumors member

thanks for your help

no virtualBox installed

I have camera listed
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2016 ---
    sorry the screenshot

[​IMG]

21. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

@Jeantro @RumorzGuy Ok, I'll bite. I've never used my camera in iMessage (Messages). When I look around, I see there used to be a camera icon there. My guess - that's been deprecated. (not sure why you would want to do video chat, when that's what FaceTime is for?)

Buddies menu, Facetime Video.

....or is there something that is supposed to be there that I'm missing? :)

22. jimithing1 macrumors regular

Ah sorry I saw 3,1 and thought he meant Mac Pro. Didn't see the mini part!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2016 ---
    I had no issues installing it and both bluetooth and ac wifi work on my Mac Pro 3,1 now.

23. pkouame macrumors regular

pkouame

Video in Sierra iMessage? Really?

24. hebime macrumors newbie

First, I just wanted to say thanks to @dosdude1 and @foxlet for all their awesome work on this. Also, anyone else that's been involved. The scripts/applications are amazing. Got Sierra installed on my MacBook Pro 2009 with no issues :D.

I just had some questions with regards to the security of future updates. Reading back through this thread I was able to find foxlet's application AUSEnabler that will help us to get future updates. If I understood correctly this tool changes the server from which the os pulls the catalog to foxlet's own server. As foxlet pointed out to another user on the forum, the binaries still come from apple's official servers. I know there's a level of trust involved here but I just wanted to get a better understanding of how this exactly works and what we're trusting. Let's say foxlet's server gets compromised. Could the attacker effectively push infected binaries to everyone subscribed to this catalog? I know there's a signing process for the updates, does that still matter in this case?

Thanks!

25. Jeantro macrumors member

ok I understand now it's normal, in Sierra you can't do video in message like El capitan, now you must use FaceTime :D:D

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.