Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Guam, Mariana Islands, U.S.A.
Even though connecting the camera, starting up a VM, then disconnecting it, and shutting down the VM works, it always reverts to not working after logging out/restarting... although it sounds like if you remove it entirely, the problem goes away..

That is correct. If you totally remove VirtualBox from your hard drive, the camera problem definitely goes away, because you have deleted the VB kexts that are causing the problem.

It may be possible with time and patience to determine exactly which VB kext(s) is/are causing the problem, but as I said earlier, I did not go that route.

@matov

Please let us know for certain if the camera is still working after you reboot your machine, or after log out and back in again.

Thanks!

matov

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Seville
#isight I have a macbookpro 5,1

After reboot the iSight was not working again. But after a VM cycle it's working. I have more need of VM's than of the webcam though.

Reactions: aquaticflow

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008

After reboot the iSight was not working again. But after a VM cycle it's working. I have more need of VM's than of the webcam though.

Tragic . . . so it is either remove VirtualBox entirely as I have done, or else go through the hassle of connecting and disconnecting the camera in VirtualBox each time you reboot your machine.

Bummer. :(

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2016
Tragic . . . so it is either remove VirtualBox entirely as I have done, or else go through the hassle of connecting and disconnecting the camera in VirtualBox each time you reboot your machine.

Bummer. :(

As noted previously, that's a bug with Virtualbox's USB filter mechanism; that won't release the camera properly. Oracle has a bug report system at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker

pkouame

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2016
As noted previously, that's a bug with Virtualbox's USB filter mechanism; that won't release the camera properly. Oracle has a bug report system at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker
I have both vbox and parallels on my pro 3,1. Since my iSight is the original FireWire version (nice coz one can actually shutter it mechanically) I may not be able to reproduce this bug. If I can consistently do so, will gladly file a bug on our behalf.

aquaticflow

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016

Yeah, I have a 5,3 mbp, and I have more use for virtual machines than the camera too... would be nice if they fix their drivers though!

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
I have both vbox and parallels on my pro 3,1. Since my iSight is the original FireWire version (nice coz one can actually shutter it mechanically) I may not be able to reproduce this bug. If I can consistently do so, will gladly file a bug on our behalf.

So can you confirm that this is a problem with one or more of VirtualBox's kexts? Or is not releasing the camera due to something else?

pkouame

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2016
So can you confirm that this is a problem with one or more of VirtualBox's kexts? Or is not releasing the camera due to something else?
I think you guys have confirmed. Just trying to reproduce. To that end, just installed latest vbox 5.1.6 on mbp 5,3 Sierra and Windows 10 install borks with critical error.

A harbinger of good things to come I'm sure...:eek:

Attachments

• VirtualBox - Guru Meditation.png
    VirtualBox - Guru Meditation.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 435

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
I think you guys have confirmed. Just trying to reproduce. To that end, just installed latest vbox 5.1.6 on mbp 5,3 Sierra and Windows 10 install borks with critical error.

A harbinger of good things to come I'm sure...:eek:

Let the "fun" begin. :p

BTW, I am still amazed by how much faster my machine operates now just by removing a few system enhancements such as Bartender and cDock. Windowmizer was also causing problems, but I removed that a while ago.

pkouame

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2016
Let the "fun" begin. :p

BTW, I am still amazed by how much faster my machine operates now just by removing a few system enhancements such as Bartender and cDock. Windowmizer was also causing problems, but I removed that a while ago.

Yeah tuning always works. There's always a sliver lining to be found...:)

This error is a bear! Wondering if it's Sierra related, but the log is complex...

Meanwhile, vbox is definitely not happy. What vbox versions and virtual OSes are you guys running?

Two more things:

1. Attached is a small script that is highlighted in the Oracle forums. It installs/re-installs all the vbox kexts. May be useful for those wondering what vbox does. Don't run, just fyi and read.

2. Also found this hilarious tidbit at the top of their forum

Lately there is an increase of extremely vague posts which don't contain the bare minimum information to reply anything sensible. Keep in mind that this results in your post being ignored, which is the opposite of what you want. So provide as much detail as you can, please, as this will ensure you get a good and fast answer.

This is essentially just a repeat of the Forum Posting Guide, which to a large extent is just written down common sense.

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• vbox-kexts.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 141

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I can verify that the old Atheros AR5BX86 Airport card will NOT work in an iMac8,1 (early 2008). I tested this under El Capitan on my iMac. The card is from a Macbook3,1. Just wanted to post this in case anyone wanted to give it a try.

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Meanwhile, vbox is definitely not happy. What vbox versions and virtual OSes are you guys running?

I was running VirtualBox 5.1.6 on 16A323 before I removed it.

1. Attached is a small script that is highlighted in the Oracle forums. It installs/re-installs all the vbox kexts. May be useful for those wondering what vbox does. Don't run, just fyi and read.

Well, if you ask me, that kind of parallels connecting and disconnecting the camera in VB in order to get a temporary fix until reboot.

That seems like clear evidence to me that they already know there is a problem between VB and Sierra, but just don't want to outright say it.

2. Also found this hilarious tidbit at the top of their forum.

Ha! My gosh! How many of us have said that same thing here when folks make statements like "It doesn't work", "There is a problem with my x app", "The thingamajig isn't doing what it's supposed to do"? :)

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Something that I noticed on my Macbook Pro after running the AUSEnabler app- the account that the App Store used was signed in as "sierramasdownload@gmail.com" and the name on the account was "Edwin". I quickly signed out of that account and changed my own accounts' passwords. I didn't do a forum/thread check for this, but this seems a bit fishy to me...

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Something that I noticed on my Macbook Pro after running the AUSEnabler app- the account that the App Store used was signed in as "sierramasdownload@gmail.com" and the name on the account was "Edwin". I quickly signed out of that account and changed my own accounts' passwords. I didn't do a forum/thread check for this, but this seems a bit fishy to me...
That's just the Apple ID I made for my tool to use to download a copy of Sierra on unsupported Macs. Since it can't download it using an Apple ID that hasn't already downloaded a copy of Sierra, I made that one to circumvent that issue. It in no way changes your personal Apple ID; you can simply sign out once you've downloaded a copy of Sierra.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
That's just the Apple ID I made for my tool to use to download a copy of Sierra on unsupported Macs. Since it can't download it using an Apple ID that hasn't already downloaded a copy of Sierra, I made that one to circumvent that issue. It in no way changes your personal Apple ID; you can simply sign out once you've downloaded a copy of Sierra.

Ahh ok. Thanks for clarifying that. You understand the paranoia, I'm sure :)

Thanks for all of your work :)

Last edited:

tribalhere10

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2015
Hi All,

Currently I'm on 10.12 on my unsupported MacBook pro. I saw someone is having 10.12.1. can I know if I used foxlet AUSEnabler for Sierra will I be able to update to 10.12.1? I have download the tools last night to try but when I click open it show :

Changed catalog to http://swdist.furcode.com/index - 10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9 - mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Hi All,

Currently I'm on 10.12 on my unsupported MacBook pro. I saw someone is having 10.12.1. can I know if I used foxlet AUSEnabler for Sierra will I be able to update to 10.12.1? I have download the tools last night to try but when I click open it show :

Changed catalog to http://swdist.furcode.com/index - 10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9 - mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.
Please do not update to beta versions, it's not recommended. But the 10.12.1 beta has been released, which is why some people may have it.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I got Sierra to run on my early 2008 iMac. I don't have the volume issue, but I swapped out my wi-fi card with the one from my early 2008 Macbook (which had a 0x88 identifier, also a Broadcom card), and it's apparently not supported in Sierra (worked fine in El Capitan). I tried resetting both the pram and smc, but to no avail. Ahh well... I've got a gaming adapter to ethernet unit I can use for now.

imac08sierra.png

Last edited:

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2016

That's unrelated to AUSEnabler (it doesn't need access to an Apple ID or the App Store), it corresponds to @dosdude1's downloader tool.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
That's unrelated to AUSEnabler (it doesn't need access to an Apple ID or the App Store), it corresponds to @dosdude1's downloader tool.

Yeah, I was set straight on that, and the fact that it was actually harmless. Just being a bit paranoid...

As an aside, it turns out that my iMac8,1 DOES have the audio volume issue, but it has been negated by the installation of my Line6 Toneport that I use for guitar input and recording. All of my input and output runs through this device, and the slider control does actually control the volume as long as the device is plugged in and selected for input/output. If I unplug it or select internal speakers, the volume is at full blast with the slider control doing nothing.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I got Sierra to run on my early 2008 iMac. I don't have the volume issue, but I swapped out my wi-fi card with the one from my early 2008 Macbook (which had a 0x88 identifier, also a Broadcom card), and it's apparently not supported in Sierra (worked fine in El Capitan). I tried resetting both the pram and smc, but to no avail. Ahh well... I've got a gaming adapter to ethernet unit I can use for now.

imac08sierra.png
Yeah, that card likely also had the Broadcom 4321 chipset (supported under El Cap, but not Sierra).

You could always get an mCard2 for that iMac...it's on the compatibility list: http://www.quickertek.com/manuals/CardCompatibilityChart.pdf

(have one in my MacBookPro 4,1 (2008) ) - works great! :) (802.11AC - connecting up to 850Mb/s, BLE 4.0) - Unlocking with Apple Watch works.

mrdunderhead

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2015
Ok this needs to be updated badly for people that don't understand the tutorial using dosdudes method.

UPDATED:

You will need another Macintosh that supports Sierra to use the gm tool and a usb inclosure.

1. Place the unsupported macintoshes hard drive in the inclosure you have to do this or you can use the target disk mode using firewire 400 to 800 or 800 to 800 cable.

The reason why is the installer packages inside the gm verify the machines serial number you can only get past this installation lock by using a supported machine you can't just build the dosdudes installation usb stick and boot from it it will try to install it then come back with a error telling you the packages won't work on this model of Macintosh.
you cannot bypass this.

Once the other drive is connected to another Macintosh via usb or firewire. run the installer on the supported Macintosh and select the firewire or usb inclosure and install as such once the installation and setup is complete and you can boot from the disk you will then need to run the usb stick that dos dudes patch created once the installation boot screen has appeared on the gm installer click utilities and select Mac OS patch tool icon select patch boot.efi patch the system identification system and patch for usb legacy support the reason for the usb patch is without it several garageband usb instruments won't work including m-audio keyboards amps and even guitar light snakes then select refresh the drive insert your password and then let it run then shut down the computer once finished start up the machine holding the option key select your drive and boot and enjoy.

thats it.

however a warning on the 2009 MacBook Pro you will experience beachballs and loading issues with the o.s and lag hopefully someone can fix this.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Ok this needs to be updated badly for people that don't understand the tutorial using dosdudes method.

UPDATED:

You will need another Macintosh that supports Sierra to use the gm tool and a usb inclosure.

1. Place the unsupported macintoshes hard drive in the inclosure you have to do this or you can use the target disk mode using firewire 400 to 800 or 800 to 800 cable.

The reason why is the installer packages inside the gm verify the machines serial number you can only get past this installation lock by using a supported machine you can't just build the dosdudes installation usb stick and boot from it it will try to install it then come back with a error telling you the packages won't work on this model of Macintosh.
you cannot bypass this.

Once the other drive is connected to another Macintosh via usb or firewire. run the installer on the supported Macintosh and select the firewire or usb inclosure and install as such once the installation and setup is complete and you can boot from the disk you will then need to run the usb stick that dos dudes patch created once the installation boot screen has appeared on the gm installer click utilities and select Mac OS patch tool icon select patch boot.efi patch the system identification system and patch for usb legacy support the reason for the usb patch is without it several garageband usb instruments won't work including m-audio keyboards amps and even guitar light snakes then select refresh the drive insert your password and then let it run then shut down the computer once finished start up the machine holding the option key select your drive and boot and enjoy.

thats it.

however a warning on the 2009 MacBook Pro you will experience beachballs and loading issues with the o.s and lag hopefully someone can fix this.
You're saying the instructions should be updated with your confusing rant, so there's more people having issues installing with the tool?

GM stands for Gold Master. Sierra's been publicly released, so we shouldn't be referencing a GM anymore.

ANYONE should be able to go out, buy a 8GB+ USB flash drive and make the installer on a supported mac using dosdude1's tool. He really can't make it any simpler than he already has.

mrdunderhead

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2015
the public release and gold master are the same version.

if you try to use just dosdudes patch and run the installer from the usb thumb stick it will come back with the error that no packages where found for this model of Macintosh try it.

it does display this message and its because the beta was missing information where the gold master has some new security and yes the great thing is that dosdudes Mac OS X Sierra tool works to create media as well as creating a patch usb stick to patch the o.s every time the App Store version and the gm are the same revision number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.