macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by redheeler, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Branskins macrumors 65816

I downloaded Sierra from the patcher website, loaded everything onto a USB, booted from the USB and I see the utilities (like the post install patch) but an Install Sierra option never comes up

What am I missing here?

2. TMRJIJ, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Sure :cool:
    EDIT: Just added you as Collaborator.

3. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

Is the Install macOS Sierra app you used version 12.0.57?

4. kautame macrumors newbie

kautame

Same here on iMac 7,1. The update through App Store worked well, but now brightness control on my iMac 7,1 doesn't work anymore (worked until 10.12.3). If I press the brightness buttons it shows me the onscreen animation, but brightness doesn't change. I don't need Nightshift, but I'd like to be able to control the normal brightness…

5. Branskins macrumors 65816

It says 12.2.03

6. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

Yep, that's the latest version, which is not yet compatible. Download the 12.0.57 copy using the MEGA link on my webpage.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2017 ---
    I can't push for some reason... Getting a 403 error. EDIT: Forgot to accept invite. Whoops.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2017 ---
    I edited the script so it now downloads the pre-modified framework from my server, eliminating the need to include it with the script. All you need to distribute to users is the script itself, nothing else.

7. Branskins macrumors 65816

That's where I got it from. I used the "Download through your browser" option. How could that happen??

8. Brale macrumors newbie

Now when you said it.....same here. It shows animation but brightness doesn't change.
    Damn, havent even noticed that until night came.

9. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

I may be mistaken, then... Try booting off the drive a few times... You should get to the main installer screen at some point.

10. AstroRob macrumors newbie

AstroRob

I'm having trouble with the installer on my Early 2009 Mac Pro (4,1). Downloaded the patch, created the boot USB stick, used this week's Sierra release.

When I try to boot off the USB stick I get a long linger on the Apple logo screen (no progress bar under it), but after ~5 min the screen goes black and the computer simply reboots. Nothing launches. I end up back on my 10.11.6 desktop.

I'd tried it over the weekend and got the same result (though there were some suspicious error messages last time in the patcher log; this time I verified the log was clean of errors). That used a different USB stick, and the previous Sierra release.

My boot disk is a 3rd party SSD, and I do note one weirdness in the storage info display: it says the USB stick is HFS+, not Journaled HFS+ (which is what I specified when I wiped it in Disk Utility). Could that somehow be the problem? Any suggestions thankfully welcomed.

11. fritte44 macrumors newbie

@dosdude1
    I use an late 2008 MacBook Pro. I did everything like here described: http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

If I boot from the USB-Stick for the installation and start "Disk Utilitiy" It just load and load and show no disk. I can install oder format the disk. Any idea why?

During the creation of the USB Stick I get no errors. I use a non Apple SSD but this should not be problem I guess.

12. metatext macrumors newbie

Hah, that's why I asked! We have an issue with this then @Brale cause we have the same model. @dosdude1 thanks for the instructions, the only reason I wanted to create a fresh install image is because @Brale said everything was okay on his machine so I figured it must be my install. I know that 2 is not a sample, but it must be more than a coincidence. It seems that MacBook5,2 starting from 10.12.4 has another issue (I know that the trackpad probably won't be fixed) that would need a patch post-install: the ability to control the backlight.

I'm looking at some hackintosh threads and https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Intel-Backlight/issues/4#issuecomment-275863187 and it seems they are encountering similar issues also. They seem to have solved it with some method where they patch AppleBacklight.kext and use an injector.

13. foxlet, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017

foxlet macrumors regular

foxlet

NightEnabler
    This little applet uses PikerAlpha's proof of concept to enable Night Shift on older systems (pre-2012 Macs).
    [​IMG]
    https://swdist.furcode.co/bin/NightEnabler.zip

Note: To remove the patch, simply run NightEnabler again, and select "Remove Patch".
    Backups are kept in ~/Library/Application Support/NightEnabler

14. fritte44 macrumors newbie

I created some screenshots. First I get this screen.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    If I click on Disk Utility this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If I click on Disk Utility the ????? sings at the top navigation gone.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. Machist macrumors newbie

Machist

16. metatext macrumors newbie

@fritte44 it may have escaped your attention, according to post #4506 the latest installer is not yet compatible with @dosdude1's tool. :)
    I spent 3 hours trying to make it work yesterday. If you take a look at the installer log while you're booted in you will see that a process keeps crashing over and over again — that is why we're not getting anywhere.

17. bashattack macrumors newbie

In case anyone has the same problem: I installed 10.12.4 on my Early 2008 Mac Pro yesterday. I shut down last night, and when I powered back on today I was getting the flash "no" sign. I booted into the install thumb drive and ran Disk Utility First Aid on my boot disk. That fixed it for me. Not sure if 10.12.4 was to blame or if it's simply a coincidence.

18. Steppe macrumors newbie

Hello folks, i cannot install the night shift patch, because SIP is enabled. When i load into recovery i cannot open the terminal because the upper menu bar is not reacting to my mouse. disk utility and these things are working, but cant disable SIP. Anyone the same issues? or maybe help to get around this? :)

19. metatext macrumors newbie

Hey @Steppe, I ran into this yesterday. Press Fn+Control+F2, which selects the menubar. The :apple: menu becomes active, from there you can move over to the Utilities menu with your arrow keys and select Terminal with Enter. :)

20. Steppe macrumors newbie

Thanx for the quick help.... that worked it out! :)

21. Czo macrumors regular

Why you are turned on SIP? SIP must be always off when using Sierra on unsupported hw. With SIP enabled you can lost all of your USB devices (incl. trackpad and keyboard) anytime!

22. Steppe macrumors newbie

i bought a new Keyboard with numeric Pad on Ebay, but both shift keys weren't working....so i tried to do a Pram Reset? or so and that enabled SIP i think. Luckily no USB functions were lost, but the keyboard is sadly not working.... so for now it is fixed and i learned a few new things! Thx again for your help!

23. clamz, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017

clamz macrumors member

clamz

How long should I take to boot from the USB drive? It's been sitting here for like two hours, the progress bar is full.
    MacBook Pro 5,5

EDIT:
    This was all because I didn't run csrutil disable - it's working now!

24. Jack Neill macrumors member

Jack Neill

I was updating to .4 and I lost power on a MB 5,2 because I pulled the power cord thinking I had battery life still. I didn't. It rebooted several times after i restored power and it says I have .4 in About This Mac. I hope I didn't bork it. I just lost my main Windows PC to a GPU crash like 45 min ago. I am having a bad day. :(

25. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

I would definitely recommend booting into recovery and running the First Aid stuff on your Partition.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.