macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by redheeler, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Branskins macrumors 65816

2. Machist macrumors newbie

Machist

Night Sift is enabled but it is not work?
    It is scheduled to sunset to sunrise.

I need to always turn that off and on -> then it works.

Mac Pro 2008

3. Branskins macrumors 65816

Finally got it installed and everything looks great on my mid 2009 MBP!

AirPods seem to work only when going to Bluetooth -> AirPods -> Connect. Then they show up in the volume controls.

But when I connect them to my iPhone and try to switch back, there is no AirPods option in the volume controls. It only works through the Bluetooth settings.

Any idea why this would work this way?

4. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

It could be that your Bluetooth card needs to support BLE. From one of the articles published on using them:
    "On Apple TV, older Macs and non-Apple devices like Windows PCs and Android smartphones and tablets, you will need to manually connect AirPods in Bluetooth settings menu before you can use them."

On my 2012 Mini as well as my 2008 MBP (which has an upgraded card that support BLE 4.x) the AirPods are always listed under bluetooth devices, but only show under the volume control when they're active (out of their case).

5. kaanmijo, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

kaanmijo macrumors newbie

Did you manage to fix this? I'm having the same issue on my mid-2009 MBP.

Edit
    I've got it up and running! The version of macOS I downloaded wasn't compatible with the tool. I used this tool: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ed-macs-thread.1977128/page-100#post-23533411 to download the correct version and it worked!

6. exiva macrumors newbie

I'm trying to patch the recovery partition on a drive with filevault on it and the post install patcher always crashes when I have that option enabled. Did it on the same machine, same usb stick just a different HD and it worked fine. Here's the crashlog for it. https://gist.github.com/exiva/b014493ca2acfb535e251605690e826e

Also this is the partition map from diskutil list

Code:
    /dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
       1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
       2:          Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD            999.3 GB   disk0s2
       3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD           +999.0 GB   disk1
                                     Logical Volume on disk0s2
                                     A4C5C710-F848-424E-BD8E-6AFACABD3E5A
                                     Unlocked Encrypted

7. toyosup88 macrumors newbie

8. Ferferu2 macrumors newbie

Ferferu2

Is the link down? the page doesn't load. I have the same issue as you, Macbook Pro 4,1 (Early 2008). I disable SIP, patch Sierra with the latest version of the tool and then boot and press the Option key. I select the USB and.. it never finishes loading.. it gets stuck at aproximately half of the progress bar, cursor appears and transform into the beach ball of the death ... fans start making noise and nothing happens

I have tried two different usbs and I switched the language to English before creating the USB (my MB is in Spanish)

9. Damodici macrumors member

Hi All,

Ive tried reading through as many of the early pages i could on this and then from the most recent backwards a little.

Unless I'm mistaken, i should still use the brilliant walkthrough from here - http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

The only problem I'm having to start with is that the link for actually downloading Sierra itself doesn't seem to work.

The Mega website loads up but theres no apparent file or link to download anything? Ive even registered an account thinking that might be the reason and still the link doesn't go to anything unfortunately.

is that correct or am i using an older way of doing the update?

Having checked my system (although I'm no techy by any stretch) it seems I'm lucky enough to not expect any of the wifi issues due to my card model being - 0x14E4, 0x8D (see below screenshots)

i also believe i shouldn't expect the trackpad issues either?

Heres my system details with some elements redacted

Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 18.20.46.png Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 18.19.59.png Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 18.19.08.png Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 18.19.29.png

Can anybody advise the best route to take doing this upgrade? Whatever the most recent version is i guess.

If its still simply to follow the dosdude1 walkthrough thats fine, but is there another way i can get the Sierra download for it to work in conjunction with this method?

Thank you all.

10. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

I'm not exactly sure why, but Mega seems to be screwed up right now... For some reason, you have to copy and paste the link from the webpage into the address bar of your browser, then it works... Not exactly sure why that is, but it does.

11. Damodici macrumors member

Thanks for replying dosdude1, much appreciated.

I take it you mean right hand click and 'copy link' on this part where it says 'here' ?

-A copy of the macOS Sierra Installer App. This can be obtained from the Mac App Store using a machine that supports Sierra, or if you don't have one, you can download a copy here

Just given that a go and unfortunately it just loads up the same as clicking on it for me.

I tried using a different browser (usually safari) so opened Chrome and pasted it in there and get the same results.

is there a direct link you could possibly pm me which shares it from your folder maybe?

Again appreciate the effort you've done on this

12. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

The link somehow got screwed up... It should work just by clicking on it now.

13. Ferferu2 macrumors newbie

Ferferu2

yep, the link is working now:
    https://mega.nz/#!e0sAwarD!olRixx47PbvlqlcWNpAjfJKcbhzpvggxFXP4qafCKj4

I'm going to try with that version, I have tried with the 10.12.4 version from the Spanish Mac App store and with a 10.12.0 I found, and the usb drive always hangs up while loading the installer

(macbook pro 4,1 early 2008, English language, SIP disabled)

14. Kosti, Apr 18, 2017 at 5:12 PM
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017 at 5:17 PM

Kosti macrumors newbie

I keep getting errors when checking for updates

Code:
    The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1100.)
    I switched productions on AUS to seed I can see Beta files, but when I switch it back I get the above error

Assuming its not a big deal as there are no updates

15. rambon macrumors newbie

hi, after updating to sierra 10.12.4 and enabled nightshift I'm not able to use airplay to stream video from safari or quicktime to my apple tv but I'm still able to use airplay with itunes to stream music. I try different solution to fix the problem with no results. I check firewall's options, turned on and off the option in system preference->monitor to show in the menubar, try to delete keychains folder from user-library as suggested by someone, did different reboot of my late 2008 macbook pro and apple tv too but I'm not able to use airplay. After opening a video when I push on the airplay logo like on youtube.com the menubar blink quickly with a new icon (or just a space) that I'm not able to see (i think airplay) and after a while I receive the message that was not possibile to connect to my apple tv. If i try to send audio to apple tv from system pref->sound or from sound menubar I get the same error message. From system preference->monitor when enabling the option to show in menubar mirroring options I just saw in the menubar a quickly invisible icon/space appearing between wifi icon and bluetooth icon. I know my macbook pro is not supporting screen mirroring but in the past I was able to send to my apple tv the video from safari or send all the sound from the mac to the apple tv, now only iTunes is working with apple tv. Anyone with this issue? any solutions?
    I'm able to use airplay or mirroring from my iPhone iPhone
    thanks

16. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

AirPlay can be buggy. I do not think it is caused because of running Sierra on unsupported hardware. It might be bandwidth limitation. Sierra does seem to have more network chatter.

17. rambon macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply.
    What do you mean with badwith limitation?
    The Apple TV is connected by Lan cable, I have a brand new router xiaomi r1d and a 100 mbit fiber

18. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

The AppleTV might be connected by cable but I presume the stream for airplay is coming from wifi connected source. I'm just suggesting the possibility that this might be the source of airplay issues. Yeah, it is possible something got messed up during Sierra update and is causing issues. Airplay is still glitchy too. But I have not experienced airplay issues caused by unsupported install of OS 10.12. Mine seem to be caused by my router.

19. Surgeon One macrumors newbie

Surgeon One

You are correct...I uninstalled Norton internet security and all is well in Zion...

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.