macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by redheeler, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. cilul, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017

cilul macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have an MacbookPro 5,5 and I tried to install sierra 10.12.6 with the latest patcher 4.2.7. The boot from the usb stick starts but after a while a get a crossed circle and everything stops. Any idea on what I did wrong?

Thanks!

Update: I managed to make it work the third time around. Thanks for creating and maintaining the patching tool.

2. redheeler thread starter macrumors 603

redheeler

I noticed this subtle difference in my Late 2008 MacBook Air, the antenna leads wouldn't connect securely. Later on after the Air had died, I installed the same AirPort card in an Early 2009 Mac mini, and there wasn't a problem.

For the Air I had decided to tape the leads down using electrical tape; probably not the best solution, but it did work.

3. mskblackbelt macrumors newbie

mskblackbelt

I'm experiencing the same issue… Installed Sierra on a Mac Pro 3,1 two months ago (10.12.5), did the update to 10.12.6, and now I can't seem to update software through the MAS or `softwareupdate`. MAS shows two available update, but clicking "Update" results in SWoD. Running `softwareupdate -l` in Terminal gives:

Software Update Tool

Finding available software
    It never progresses beyond that point (even after many hours).

Does anyone have ideas on what might be causing this? I tried running `softwareupdate --clear-catalog` and trashing the ~/Library and /Library copies of com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist files (followed by a restart). None of these made a difference.

4. SaitoKoreano macrumors newbie

I had the same problem for a while. The root cause is softwareupdated crashing and restarting every 10 seconds because it can't load SUVMMFaker.dylib.

There are two steps I took to solve this:

1) First, make sure the file is not quarantined by running:
    Code:
    sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /usr/local/lib/SUVMMFaker.dylib

2) Second, make sure that your /usr/local/lib/ folder has the same permissions as /usr/local/
    In my case, /usr/load/lib/ did not have the proper permissions, it was drwx------ instead of drwxr-xr-x
    Code:
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/load/lib/

Maybe only step 2 was needed, but it can't hurt to remove the quarantine extended attributes.

After this, restart the software update daemon manually or just re-run
    Code:
    sudo ./swupatch.sh

Things should be working OK after following these steps. Hope it helps!

5. NetFlyer macrumors newbie

Can you explain how you made it?
    Thanks

6. mskblackbelt macrumors newbie

mskblackbelt

When I went to check permissions on `/usr/local/lib/SUVMMFaker.dylib`, the file wasn't there. So I ran `swupatch.sh` and afterward everything seemed to work. Not sure what happened, but updates seem to work fine now, thanks for the solution. Strangely, I didn't notice anything in the logs about softwareupdated crashing. Perhaps that’s because the file wasn't present at all, rather than having the wrong permissions.

7. cilul macrumors newbie

I have downloaded the latest installation for Sierra from the app store on another mac. I've formatted the usb stick with Mac Os Extended(Journaled) and Master Boot Record option. I've disabled SIP and everything worked after that.

Hope this helps.

8. jbarley, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Does anyone know of a working link for "NightEnabler.zip".
    The link supplied in post #4513 of this thread will not work for me.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: OK I found the file thanks to the Internet "WayBack Machine"

9. z3rodivide macrumors newbie

Hi,
    still there is no fix for brightness issue on iMac 9.1 ? Thanks :)
    I suggest to add the problem in the section Known Issues of the first post

10. anthonysmith93 macrumors newbie

anthonysmith93

I have an early 2008 MBP with Sierra working well on it, but my backlit keyboard and screen auto brightness no longer works. I don't see anything about it being a known issue. Any ideas?

11. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

Sorry, I'm sure the answer is contained within this thread, but I've read 10 pages and haven't seen it yet, so I hope someone will give a straight answer - if I install Sierra on my unsupported system, how exactly do the OS updates (12.2, 12.3, 12.4) work after the installation succeeds? I see that there is a script that must be run, but is that a one-time fix to allow future updates, or is it something that must be done every time? I ask because I am not keeping the computer myself, so I need to know what to tell the new owner to expect, if it's something they need to do outside the normal. Thanks!

12. Mactendo, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017

Mactendo macrumors 68000

Is it possible to update using delta update file from the apple.com website? When trying to install it says "this mac is unsupported". I'm running 10.12.4

OR I'll be grateful for the direct link to the full 10.12.6 release.

13. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Installer can be found here.

http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

scroll down to "Things you'll need:"
    A copy of the macOS Sierra Installer App. This can be obtained from the Mac App Store using a machine that supports Sierra, or if you don't have one, you can download a copy here

14. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

I've tried multiple USB drives, as well as an external SSD, but no matter what, when I boot to the drive, it never gets past the progress bar at startup. Never into the OS X setup screen. Any advice?

15. Mactendo macrumors 68000

Thank you, jbarley.

16. KeithJohn macrumors newbie

KeithJohn

Hi All, I have a Mac Pro 3.1 that was running El Capitan until my hard drive packed in, I bought a new one a 120GB SSD and decided to put Sierra on using DosDudes Patcher, my early 2015 MacBook Pro runs Sierra so I used that to make the usb, all was good until I tried to boot it on the Mac Pro, it took an age to get it going, but when it did all it did was boot into Mac OS Utilities, in that I selected startup disk and saw the usb was showing so selected boot from it but all it does is a loop back to utilities, I read that disabling SIP would help, so I did that through the terminal, but still no good.

What am I doing wrong ?, I followed Dosdudes Patcher install to the letter and can't understand what I am doing wrong.

Please Help !!

Keith

17. virk macrumors member

virk

@KeithJohn: Did you install Sierra on the 120GB SSD or did you forget that?

18. KeithJohn macrumors newbie

KeithJohn

--- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    the SSD was blank and inserted into my Mac Pro and then I tried to install Sierra on it via the usb. Should have I installed Sierra on the SSD using my MacBook Pro?

19. virk macrumors member

virk

No, your procedure seems okay.

You wrote, you followed the procedure to the letter. Then check the following:
    Switch on the MacPro and directly after the tone press the "alt"-key. A screen should be displayed on which you can select the volume you like to boot from. If the SSD does not appear there, report. If the SSD appears, click on it and click beneath it to start from and report.

BTW: Did you apply the postinstall-patch, which is also described in dosdude's procedure? :)

20. KeithJohn macrumors newbie

KeithJohn

I think we are at cross purposes here, all that is in the Mac Pro is a blank SSD, when I press the alt key after startup all I get is the utilities page coming up, in the disk startup section top left the usb shows but will not boot when I click on it and it restarts, it just ends back at the utilities again.

21. virk macrumors member

virk

I am a little bit lost :)

1) When you have a blank SSD in the MacPro, why could you expect to boot from it? (But probably I understood you wrongly)
    2) Did you install Sierra on the SSD?
    3) What do you mean with "utilities page"?
    4) I think you did not press the alt-key after reboot. Try the following: Start the MacPro and press alt-key immediately and keep it pressed until you see volume icons appearing on the screen. Question: Do you know what I am talking about and did you ever do what I ask you to do? But If you did not install Sierra (see question 2) this is useless anyway.
    5) If you have installed Sierra, did you also apply the post-install-patches?

I try to add a screenshot of what you should see after start with alt-key:

Attached Files:

22. KeithJohn macrumors newbie

KeithJohn

I don't expect to boot from the SSD, I am trying to install Sierra on it by booting up using the usb, utilities wasn't the right word, I meant the recovery page. Thats all I get when I press the alt key after reboot. I don't see any icons, my original hard drive running El Capitan is in the bin as its now packed up, so I am starting from scratch so to speak, blank new SSD and a usb with Sierra boot on it to install on the new SSD. Until I get Sierra on the SSD I can't do a post-install patch. If I can't get Sierra or indeed any other OS on the SSD them my mac pro is useless !!

23. virk macrumors member

virk

1) Okay, now clear. As far as I remember several people have reported about fail installs due to a non correctly working USB-stick. So, if nobody else can support in between I would try to take another USB-stick and to install everything there and test again. Or, if not USB-stick is available, format the USB-stick and install again.
    2) Is there any hint that the MacPro recognises the SSD?

24. KeithJohn macrumors newbie

KeithJohn

The Mac Pro doesn't recognise the SSD, I have looked at resetting the PRAM AND SMC and start all over again, but not tonight, I have had enough of computers for one day, I will try things tomorrow.

25. virk, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

virk macrumors member

virk

From which country are you?

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.