macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by redheeler, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Couple of resets you can try, 1 at a time...
    --------------------
    How to reset the SMC on Mac desktop computers
    Follow these steps for iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, and Xserve.

Shut down your Mac.
    Unplug the power cord.
    Wait 15 seconds.
    Plug the power cord back in.
    Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.
    ---------------------

How to reset NVRAM
    Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately hold down these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. Keep holding the keys for about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart. (If you have a Mac that plays a startup sound when you turn it on, you can release the keys after the second startup sound.)

Option + Command + P + R

If you've already tried these resets then just ignore me...

2. BilduKat macrumors newbie

I have done those.
    The NVRAM reset brought back the startup chime and the system does work...just no display.

I disconnected ALL hard drives, removed the 750 TI leaving the 8800 in the system and rebooted.
    I "should" have at least seen a "can't find bootable volume" image on the screen but the monitor was not getting any video signal at all.

It's looking like a hardware issue :-(
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2017 ---
    I'm going to try booting my 2015 Macbook Pro with the MacPro boot drive.
    If I can do that then I can at least turn on Screen Sharing and I can use the system beyond just file sharing and web serving.

3. conifer macrumors member

I installed Sierra successfully on Mac alum late 2008 using the installer tool.
    I did the recommended patches using installer tool and also the recovery patch.
    I disabled SIP as per instructions.

Am I good to go or is there an additional update patch I need to run to get updates?

Thanks!

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

The Recovery patch didn't get me a bootable Recovery Partition, I ended up manually editing the "PlatformSupport.Plist" and now all is good.
    My system has been getting updates from the App store, 10.12.5->10.12.6 , Safari, iTunes and the latest Security Update 2017-001, so you should be OK in that regard.

5. AndersNorlev macrumors newbie

Hello Guys,
    I have an problem and i hope that someone can help me :)
    I have used DosDudes Sierra patch and installed Sierra on an Macbook Air Mid 09 (2,1) and it works fine.
    But i cant sign in to App Store? "Your device or computer could not be verified."
    Network works fine using an USB to Ethernet Adaptor and im logged in to iTunes with no problems.
    I have tried to reset network interface by deleting the files in /SystemConfiguration and it didt help.

Do someone as an idea to try?

//Anders

6. FromMilwaukee macrumors newbie

FromMilwaukee

I have been looking for the macOS Sierra Patcher v4.2.5 online, but haven't been able to find it. I need it to go with my slightly older install dmg. Does anyone know where I can find it?

7. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Here you go, second from the bottom...
    http://dosdude1.com/sierra/sierrapatcherarchive/

8. conifer macrumors member

Thanks! I made a clone with Carbon Copy Cloner in case I have problems so I can probably do without a recovery partition.

I am restoring the clone also to a new mac as that is the quickest way to get the new mac going with all the files and software I need. I am assuming the clone will install the patched OS, yes? Since the new mac can run the unpatched OS, what is the best way to uninstall the patches?

9. conifer macrumors member

Does anyone know where the patched files are located? I did a re-install of OS from recovery partition but patches are still there.
    However, Carbon Copy Cloner preserved the old unpatched files when I first copied over the clone. Here is a list of the folders below that it changed:
    Library:
    Application Support
    Caches
    ColorSync
    Frameworks
    Keychains
    Logs
    Preferences
    Printers
    Receipts
    Scripts
    Updates Widgets

System/Library:
    Assets
    Caches
    CoreServices
    Extensions
    Framewoks
    Keychains
    LaunchAgents
    LaunchDaemons
    PrelinkedKernels
    PrivateFrameworks
    Receipts
    Sandbox

10. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I swear that I've read a tip on this forum, I think from dosdude1 as to how to un-patch a patched installation.
    I've searched but no luck locating the post, maybe contact dosdude1 and plead for help.

11. anthonysmith93 macrumors newbie

anthonysmith93

12. psu7276, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

psu7276 macrumors newbie

I've been quite successful with all of the upgrades on a early 2009 iMac.

App Store indicates that the new update "High Sierra" will not work on this machine.

I know I could download the installation disk on my MacBook Air.

Anyone have any experiences with High Sierra? Believe it or not I only just heard about High Sierra today on 11-10 after I opened the App Store. I previuosly only installed the updates identified by the Updates link.

Would the best route to be using the Sierra Patching Tool (from this site) and make a new USB installation disk from the download on the MacBook Air?

Thanks!

Sorry. I didn't see the High Sierra thread below this main thread. I'll peruse that and hopefully find additional information.

13. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I'm seeing some confusion here, you are talking about downloading "High Sierra" and at the same time ask about using the "Sierra" patching tool.
    Sure you don't mean the "High Sierra" patching tool?
    Or maybe I'm misreading your whole post...

14. psu7276 macrumors newbie

Not misreading. You'll see that I edited my initial post. I only found out about High Sierra today. No idea that it has existed but after the age of the High Sierra thread I am way behind. Again, I only find out about updates through the App Store.

Yes, my goal was to download on MacBook Air, use the patching tool and make a new installation USB disk on the Air and then install on iMac. I did not know that there was a specific High Sierra patching tool but now I know because of your question. Where is the quickest to find the newer tool?

Is this really the only process to install HS on the 2009 iMac?

Thanks again!

15. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

You really are new to this.:)
    From the king of patching tools...
    http://dosdude1.com/software.html

There also is a dedicated thread for High Sierra on unsupported Macs, well worth the long read.
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-high-sierra-10-13-unsupported-macs-thread.2048478/

16. noel730n macrumors newbie

noel730n

Thanks for this! Had the issue with 10.13.1 and spent a while troubleshooting. The permissions fix was the fix I needed!

Cheers.

17. conifer macrumors member

Thanks. I was unable to find instructions to un-patch. I ended up erasing and then using apple's migration tool and not migrating settings, just software and docs.

I still get the message upon every reboot that I am running SIP. I don't know how to clear that message. If anyone knows how to clear it, please let me know.

iSight camera did not show in Virtual Box Win 10 but I was able to fix it by downloading Virtual Box extension package and following these instructions: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...irtualbox-on-mac-os-x?forum=win10itprogeneral

Software worked OK with the migration tool except for win 10 where I had to spend hours on chat with MSFT technician getting it to properly register from one of several win 10 copies i had bought over the years (luckily cheaply). In the end he never did get it to properly register but it seems to open and run fine for the emergency purposes I use it for.

18. ncrispi macrumors member

@dosdude1, I used your program to update my compatible system to Sierra/High Sierra however now everytime I boot, I get a "SIP IS ENABLED" notification pop up... again this machine is COMPATIBLE with sierra/high sierra... How do I remove this?

19. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

To remove the SIP enabled warning, all you need to do is run "sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.dd1.SIPLD.plist" in Terminal.

20. Oxygeneralist macrumors newbie

I'm getting this error too but only on one of two Macs on which I'm running the patched version of Sierra. The other one is (afaik) still fetching updates from the AUS branch without any issues.

On the Mac on which I'm having this issue, the update branch had got switched back to the Apple default branch and at least one system update was installed from that branch, presumably due to errors made by me. At some point SIP was reenabled by one of these updates.

From these two facts I conclude that I probably need to back up the Mac, then reinstall from the patched version of Sierra, then immediately switch to the AUS Production branch before applying any updates, and not reset the catalogs under any circumstances. Then, I think, the invalid certificate error should not recur. Can anyone confirm this is right, before I proceed?

21. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

AUSEnabler no longer works at all, as far as I'm aware. What you need to do is reset your SWU Catalog back to default, and apply the Software Update Patch Script.

22. Oxygeneralist macrumors newbie

Thanks, it worked!

23. jackoverfull macrumors newbie

jackoverfull

Just installed Security Update 2017-001 on my Late 2008 MBP 15, so far all seems fine.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.