macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by redheeler, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

Just re-run the post-install patch, ensuring "Legacy USB Support Injector" is selected. Select "Force Cache Rebuild" before rebooting.

2. williamthe5thc, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

williamthe5thc macrumors newbie

williamthe5thc

Right! I will try that.... as soon as I find where I put that flash drive with the patch on it... I don't suppose there is a way to run the post installer without the USB is there...?

Oh and I forgot to mention it works with screen sharing... so yeah I'm hopeful your fix will work!

3. z3rodivide macrumors newbie

thank's @MisutaaUrufu for finding out the files affected by screen brightness issue !!!
    Also thanks @dosdude1 for the fix script, worked like a charm !!! :)
    This patch will it also be included in 10.13 High Sierra patch tool ?

4. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

Yes, it is included already.

5. Jack Neill macrumors member

Jack Neill

The patch for brightness on 10.13 workes fine for my MB5,2. Thanks dude

6. williamthe5thc macrumors newbie

williamthe5thc

7. tconwell, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

tconwell macrumors newbie

I'm running an iMac 20" early 2009 on 10.12.3. I'm showing an update to 10.12.5, but when I click update I get this error:
    An error has occurred
    Not found (10403)

Any help?

8. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

Run "sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog" in Terminal, then run the Software Update Patch script found here.

9. tconwell macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, but I can't get anything to extract from the zip. it says it's only 1kb in size, too.
    Updates have run fine up to this point.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2017 ---
    Nevermind, downloaded through chrome and it worked. Thanks!

10. jackoverfull macrumors newbie

jackoverfull

Just updated my System (MacBookPro5,1, MacBook Pro 15 late 2008 with 8GB of RAM, and an SSD) from 10.12.4 to 10.12.6.

Had to reset the catalog and use the patch script as stated just above, apart from that everything was fine.

I was worried about audio capabilities, keyboard's backlight and screen brightness controls, but so far everything seems to work as desired. Update only took some 15 minutes, not the 45 minutes that the system was telling me originally.

Interestingly enough, I still got the "not available" error when trying to update to xCode 9, now that I've updated Safari to the latest version too it's downloading fine. We'll see if it installs.

11. jackoverfull, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

jackoverfull macrumors newbie

jackoverfull

Post edited because it contained incorrect information.

My swissonic EasyFirewire audio interface works fine on 10.12.6. Apparently I'm having an hardware issue (either with my Mac or with the card) where it needs an external power supply now, no matter if I'm using Sierra or Snow Leopard. Odd; it was working fine yesterday.

Also, the expressCard slot works and the my Belkin FireWire and USB card works like always (that is: very unreliably. But it has been like that at least since Leopard).

12. Dolphins1972, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

Dolphins1972 macrumors newbie

Dolphins1972

Hello, I've been lurker here up to now. Sorry I haven't read the more than 5000 replies in this thread so forgive me if this has been answered already.

My specs:
    Mac Pro 4,1 (early 2009) firmware upgraded to 5,1
    MacOS High Sierra
    2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Nehalem
    16GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    Hitachi 640GB 7200-rpm SATA 3Gb/s
    WD 2TB Caviar Green 7200-rpm SATA 3Gb/s
    WD 750GB Caviar Black 7200-rpm SATA 6GB/s
    WD 2TB Caviar Black 7200-rpm SATA 6Gb/s
    GeForce GT 120 512MB GDDR3

I installed High Sierra via App Store which prompted me to do another firmware update, which I did, then I cloned my boot drive so I could convert it to APFS worry-free. I have no problem wiping the clone drive and starting over. With that said I can't get the clone drive to boot after converting to APFS? It booted without a problem when formatted HFS+ Journaled.

Sorry for linking to another site but here's what I've done so far: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31635262-macOS-Converted-HDD-to-APFS

UPDATE: Booted into recovery mode, erased cloned drive but kept the APFS format. Did a clean install of High Sierra, booted into newly installed High Sierra APFS drive, used Migration Assistant to copy main boot drive. Success! I now have 2 boot drives, one APFS and the other HFS+ Journaled. No external drive or recovery disk needed, just 2 internal HDDs.

13. buzzworm macrumors newbie

buzzworm

I've got a Late 2009 Mac Mini 3,1 and successfully installed Sierra 10.12.6, BUT I have no internal audio option. The only options I have are my Airplay speakers. I see no option in the post install app to install an audio driver to make things work.

I installed onto a blank SSD from the latest patcher 4.2.7. Any advice?

14. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

Try installing the Volume Control Patch, and see if that works.

15. buzzworm macrumors newbie

buzzworm

Tried with that patch. Didn't work. Checked that AppleHDA.kext was modified in S/L/E from the script and it was.

Is audio REPORTED WORKING on macmini3,1 units?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2017 ---
    So I have a hardware issue going on. Speakers don't show up in El Cap either.
    Zapped firmware and no sound chimes. Maybe I have something unplugged. Unit is still apart.

16. jackoverfull macrumors newbie

jackoverfull

This is very interesting, as my external audio interface stopped working, on every system, just after I did the 10.12.6 update and now needs an external power supply to work at all (something that unfortunately gives me a feeble but noticeable ground loop buzz). Is it possible that Sierra is somehow damaging audio outputs?

17. spitful macrumors newbie

hi all thank you all,set 10.12.5, tell me how to upgrade to 10.12.6 read and can not understand. the app store says no updates. if you can describe in detail how to do it. thanks in advance.

18. jackoverfull macrumors newbie

jackoverfull

try to go in the terminal and run

Code:
    sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog
    then run this patch: http://dosdude1.com/sierra/swupatch.sh.zip

19. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

Check the little ribbon cable that's right at the back of the optical drive carrier.

20. cstout macrumors newbie

cstout

To anyone having a stalling issue when trying to look for available updates...here's what worked for me. I couldn't find anybody in the same scenario from what I read in recent pages on this thread so hopefully it's helpful and not redundant.

My system.log was showing
    com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.softwareupdated): service only ran for 0 seconds.

Upon dissecting the dosdude shell script, I decided to manually run it myself, line by line to find the point of failure. Well, for me, the issue was curl. "curl -o" was creating invalid/incomplete files which was causing macOS to produce errors during a softwareupdate call. Both curled files were incomplete and unreadable and it wasn't a permissions issue either. I tried to curl them to different directories as well and the file produced was always the same, very small, unreadable junk. My work around was to pop the curl links into Safari and hit Option+Enter to download the linked file. I moved those files to my desktop, modified the lines to use a copy (cp) command pointed at the files on my desktop instead of curling. This worked flawlessly and as soon as I ran it this way I was able to see, download, and install the 10.12.6 update.

Additional note: I was previously using the "http://swdist.furcode.co" catalogURL so before running the modified script I ran "sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog" to give myself a fresh start.

21. TheStork, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

TheStork macrumors regular

TheStork

Well, I finally tried it, and I successfully (so far) updated my trusty 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) to Sierra. :) While I haven't done a lot of testing, I'm pleased with the results so far. The Mac Pro has the dual 2.8GHz Quad Core Xeons, plus:
    - PC 7950 graphics card with an EFI BIOS by MacVidCards,
    - Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 SSD PCIe Adapter card with a Toshiba 120GB SSD and
    - HighPoint RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 PCIe card.​

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 8.03.33 PM.png

dosdude1's installer and instructions were spot on. I'm a happy camper.

22. eric89074 macrumors member

I just installed Sierra on a mid 2009 iMac 9,1. Everything works fine except screen brightness adjustment. When I try to change brightness with the keyboard or the system preferences neither works. Is there a fix for this? I couldn't find anything here. Thanks!

23. bigglesthwaite macrumors newbie

How do I run this patch please? Double-clicking opens the file in TextWrangler on my MBP 5.1

24. dosdude1 macrumors 6502a

dosdude1

Open a Terminal window, drag the sh file onto it, and press Return.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.