Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jeh72

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2016
Crippled graphics performance after waking from sleep is still an issue in the latest public beta (10.13.1 17B42a). Cmon Apple, this is ridiculous.
Does anyone with a dGPU not have this problem?

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Crippled graphics performance after waking from sleep is still an issue in the latest public beta (10.13.1 17B42a).

GRRR. Frustrating to hear that... I was really hoping it would be fixed! It's causing me to have to restart every day, sometimes several times a day, which is getting very, very annoying.

cosmolv

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Latvia
CUDA 9.0.197 not working correctly
----
With CUDA 8.0.90 or 8.0.83

All Tests with external monitor (reproduction)

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) High Sierra 10.13.1 Beta (17B35a)
When attached external monitor and lounched After Effects, After Effects don't see GPU Acceleration (disable external monitor, restart After Effects - GPU returns)

Rendering with CUDA in Premiere Pro 2017 crash
Editing when CUDA enebled in Premiere - freezing, sometimes High Sierra crash
Editing when METAL engine enabled - slow, video shutters. (render in METAL works fine)

Reported to Apple

ori71

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
On Mac Os High Sierra began to stick to scrolling in Safari and Chrome, all so?
P.S. Sorry for my english
The reason was the function of turning off the backlight of the keyboard, disconnected it and so far so good.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
Crippled graphics performance after waking from sleep is still an issue in the latest public beta (10.13.1 17B42a). Cmon Apple, this is ridiculous.
Does anyone with a dGPU not have this problem?

I don't have this issue. Never did on any version of the Betas. I do photo editing and video editing, and have not seen this issue on my 2012 MacBook Pro.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
I don't have this issue. Never did on any version of the Betas. I do photo editing and video editing, and have not seen this issue on my 2012 MacBook Pro.

I get it 100% reliably on a late 2016 Retina MacBook Pro w/TB. After sleep, GPU performance is halved. It's as though the discrete GPU fails to be enabled when needed after sleep even though Activity Monitor -> Energy -> Graphics Card will say "High Perf."

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
I'm having a problem with Mail not remembering outgoing servers, at least for those that are auto set-up e.g. iCloud, Gmail.

I can specify a server in Mail but It always reverts to None. Every time I sent an email I'm asked to say which server to use...

The exception is an account I had to set up manually. Its is the only server that appears by name in the outgong list.

ern

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
If you're running Bartender 3, quit it and see if that helps. I sorted the problem for me, and several other users on various forums. Hopefully they patch the app sometime soon!

Yeah,after quitting Bartender 3, error messages in console stopped! Thank you and let's report to the developer of Bartender.

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
I have the iMac connected to an AVR so I can watch videos on the TV, and one thing I noticed is that with High Sierra the way external monitors work has changed.

Before even though The AVR and TV were switched off the Mac “knew” they were connected. Since I could move windows to the external display which then got lost there since the AVR/TV was turned off and I couldn’t drag them back.

With High Sierra the Mac detects correctly that the AVR/TV is turned off and no more window dragging. Which is how Windows works too, which is great. But now video playback is choppy on the external monitor. I can see frames dropping every 2-3 seconds.

A weird work around I found that eliminates the video choppiness is if I move the mouse cursor back to the iMac screen and click once so the menu bar appears, and then move the cursor back to the external monitor and click there. An easy workaround but I hope this gets fixed soon. Now that I think of it I should go and fill a bug report.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Have you guys tried using this : https://gfx.io/

Yes, in my case it reports that it's using the discrete GPU, and forcing the discrete GPU to always be on doesn't improve things. (I've also checked About This Mac -> System Report -> Graphics/Displays, where you can tell which one is in use due to active graphics card having the "Color LCD" entry for the screen).

In situations where the graphics performance is degraded after sleep, it's degraded regardless of whether it's using the integrated or discrete GPU.

Reactions: Mapjin

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Yes, in my case it reports that it's using the discrete GPU, and forcing the discrete GPU to always be on doesn't improve things. (I've also checked About This Mac -> System Report -> Graphics/Displays, where you can tell which one is in use due to active graphics card having the "Color LCD" entry for the screen).

In situations where the graphics performance is degraded after sleep, it's degraded regardless of whether it's using the integrated or discrete GPU.
Ok heres another angle which might provide some info - have you watched the die temperature of your GPU before and after the issue? Perhaps the thermal indicator is a better indicator of GPU activity than the software can determine.

DocoBob

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
USA
I get it 100% reliably on a late 2016 Retina MacBook Pro w/TB. After sleep, GPU performance is halved. It's as though the discrete GPU fails to be enabled when needed after sleep even though Activity Monitor -> Energy -> Graphics Card will say "High Perf."

Interesting. I just looked at Activity Monitor and it does show that graphics is switched between Integrated and Discrete for me. I would de-install any Fan Control apps or Kexts that are in that system, reboot and then see if I can make the issue repeat.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
With 10.13, I always get "WindowServer [ERROR] - Unknown CGXDisplayDevice: 0x41dc9d00" in console. The computer did crash several times. Found the same problem in official forum and got no answer.

My computer is 13' MBP with touchbar 2017. So I guess it's a bug.

If you're running Bartender 3, quit it and see if that helps. I sorted the problem for me, and several other users on various forums. Hopefully they patch the app sometime soon!

Yeah,after quitting Bartender 3, error messages in console stopped! Thank you and let's report to the developer of Bartender.

I also use Bartender 3 on HS, and see Console flooded with those messages, but I'm not having any crashing.

I emailed the dev. this morning and he replied right away with this, and gave me permission to post it.

Hi, I know sorry about that, for some reason Apple added an error log message to a public API call that returns correctly, we filed a radar bug report to them, but with the new unified logging I don't think they mind the console having tons of messages in it.
You can filter this message when looking in console, or I believe permenently using the log command line tool, but we haven't looked into that ourselves as still want to see if Apple remove this.

These messages are not related to crashes, its simply a error message generated when taking a screenshot of a apps window (for show for updates)

Thanks,

Ben

He also gave me this link to the Bartender site discussing the issue.

No that would be great, save people having more issues, I can see how it looks to be the cause, we also have a post about it on our site https://www.macbartender.com/b3_knowledge/window-server-error/

Thanks,

Ben

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Interesting. I just looked at Activity Monitor and it does show that graphics is switched between Integrated and Discrete for me. I would de-install any Fan Control apps or Kexts that are in that system, reboot and then see if I can make the issue repeat.

What I meant was that Activity Monitor shows it's switching to High Perf (discrete GPU) when needed, but the actual performance is incredibly slow.

I may have to try RumorConsumer's idea of checking GPU temp to see if it's really being used, but I suspect it is and that something else is causing the slow down, because it impacts the entire OS. For example, if I run something that makes a lot of use of Metal or OpenGL (e.g. a game like Firewatch), then switch away to Safari while it's still running, Safari will be incredibly laggy/jerky, even just moving the window around, and typing on the keyboard makes characters appear individually one at a time like all i/o is slowed. Restart, run Firewatch again, its FPS will be double what it was, switch to Safari while Firewatch is still running and everything's smooth like it should be. Let it sleep, try it again, everything is slow/jerky, FPS is halved, etc.

HashimA

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Cannot copy files sizes greater than 2Gb to FAT32 formatted drives

Signed up here to second this, experiencing the same issue on my dad's MacBook Pro - in addition, a few people have reported it in this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/77l706/sudden_2gb_limit_on_fat32_external_drive_when_it/

Does anyone know how long a fix is likely to take? I understand that this is a finder problem rather than a filesystem one, so using another file explorer will work for now, but could someone recommend one that is as close as possible to the look and functionality of Finder for my dad?

Xardas220

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2017
What I meant was that Activity Monitor shows it's switching to High Perf (discrete GPU) when needed, but the actual performance is incredibly slow.

I may have to try RumorConsumer's idea of checking GPU temp to see if it's really being used, but I suspect it is and that something else is causing the slow down, because it impacts the entire OS. For example, if I run something that makes a lot of use of Metal or OpenGL (e.g. a game like Firewatch), then switch away to Safari while it's still running, Safari will be incredibly laggy/jerky, even just moving the window around, and typing on the keyboard makes characters appear individually one at a time like all i/o is slowed. Restart, run Firewatch again, its FPS will be double what it was, switch to Safari while Firewatch is still running and everything's smooth like it should be. Let it sleep, try it again, everything is slow/jerky, FPS is halved, etc.

I've experienced the same on here 10.13.

jeh72

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2016

When I ran Unigine Heaven while having the bug, the GPU did not get very hot at all. I think it's stuck in a low power state.

jeh72

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2016
Radeon Pro stuck in low power mode after sleep bug is still present in 10.13.1 Public Beta 4 (17B45a)

Reactions: djcristi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.