macOS 10.14 Mojave Drops Support for Many Older Machines

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Douglas2916 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2018 ---
    Well this really upsets me .I just sold my mid 2011 21 inch last year in perfect working order to buy a mid 2011, 27 inch upgraded the ram to 20gb of ram hooked up a ssd .And on top of it all I am now disabled on disability low income and will not be able to afford any new or used apple computer.Also my 1st gen iPad is worth nothing also .I am done with apple I have owned iPhones from the start and liked them and bought several Mac mini,s then bought a iMac.I would like to see them sell cars then stop selling gas.

2. Fastrip66 macrumors newbie

technically NOT impossible but you have to do some hacking, so it's up to you and what you want to do, but possible nonetheless.....

--- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2018 ---
    All you need is the Mojave Patcher, but read on your model because you can and will have a few hurdles and or graphics settings to decide on for some models...

http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

3. CryptoCrafter macrumors newbie

CryptoCrafter

same brother. Can't leave the classic design.

4. kingtj macrumors 68020

I'm not real pleased that Mojave ended support for so many Macs either. But at the same time? I don't think you really have a lot to be upset about, considering it sounds like you upgraded a good Mac to a much better configuration? Your money was spent on things that matter, like more screen space and the huge speed increase an SSD brings over a regular spinning hard drive. Those are advantages you can enjoy every time you use it, no matter which version of OS X you're running on it.

My mom is in the same boat. I just visited her over the Xmas break, and upgraded her 21" iMac to OS X High Sierra from Sierra. It can't go to Mojave either. But realistically? There's nothing I can think of in Mojave that even matters to her. Mostly, Apple just took selected things out of iOS and brought them to the Mac desktop, like ability to use the "Home" app that controls HomeKit devices. (She doesn't have any!) It does the background wallpaper that changes by time or day or night -- but really, so what? Third party apps can add that to an older Mac, if you want it.

And a first generation iPad? No offense, but that's ANCIENT compared to almost any of the iPads you still see in active use anyplace. It's worth nothing because the technology in it is too old to even run the newer versions of iOS properly if you wanted to. Most of them out there have already died thanks to batteries that wore out or even exploded in them, screens that started failing, etc. That's best to keep as a museum piece if it's still in nice condition at this point.

I don't think you're going to find that you get a whole lot more out of changing over to Windows products, as far as "longevity" is concerned? There was a time when you could keep updating older computers (Windows or Mac) and keep them running newer operating systems even though they were 10+ years old. Nobody's really doing that anymore, unless you run open source Unix type OS's like BSD or Linux.