Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdeMorgan

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2018
Rant alert: Really wish Steve Jobs was still with us because his replacement just hasn't got a clue about what joining the Apple ecosystem means to people ... I have been an IT Professional since Microsoft had con-current DOS, Novell had BNC connected systems and modems weren't even 56k ... but finally had enough and moved to Apple in 2011 after buying an iPhone and iPad mini, suddenly the tunnel had light!

So in mid2011 I invested in a mini mac server because I had no need for a laptop or need the power for a Mac Pro, I could do all my out-of-office stuff on the iPad. That meant investing in a thunderbolt display, magic everything, airport express/time capsule and iPod hifi as by then my CD collection had been ripped for iTunes. If i needed more power than the iPad then I could always take the mini, keyboard, mouse and HDMI cable to hook up, with me.

First the best sound box on the planet, iPOD Hifi demise - couldn't charge a iPod nano, no thought to update the docking element just drop it...1 have 4 and 4+ airport express so sound around the house since 2012...bugger me Sonos wouldn't have got a look in and now we have a Siri HomePod...oops how much biz have Apple lost out on!

The 2012/2104 mac minis become almost un-upgradeable ... but still have more ports than most laptops!

Then the iconic Thunderbolt Display is replaced by a PC monitor....so are MacBook users happy to spend upwards of £700 on a 4K or £1180 on a 5K? Probably not as it doesn't look or feel Apple!

Last year they dropped the airport express, why? It will still sell as is and most 'users' don't actually need anything faster unless they're streaming 5K movies 24/7, in which case fit some Cat6, some might still want an AP with the optical airplay port and USB.

My mini iPad is almost pristine despite the battering it's had in my board or work shorts and I semi retired so no longer need to support 2 data centres whilst in Monaco but I could do with more than 16Gb and an Apple pen rather than draw with my stubby fingers ... at the moment no mini iPad on the cards ... Samsung do you still have a Galaxy that fits my shorts ? ... so like so many others not wanting too but being forced to jump ship!!

Reactions: hsotnicam8002

pam14160

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2016
Idaho
On my windows computer I am on the insider program, thus I am able to use the dark theme on the latest windows OS, and to say the least I really am enjoying it, and really can't wait to see what the dark theme will look like in the mac OS.

Reactions: vasim

vasim

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2017
On my windows computer I am on the insider program, thus I am able to use the dark theme on the latest windows OS, and to say the least I really am enjoying it, and really can't wait to see what the dark theme will look like in the mac OS.
So you don't need to be in the insider program to be able to use the windows 10 dark mode.
I confirm that it is wonderful :)

lfhlaw

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Pittsburgh
I'm pretty sure Metal only supports AMD GCN chips, so Radeon 5000 or 6000 series won't work. That's why 2010/2011 Macs aren't supported by either Metal or Mojave.

Radeon 7590 is GCN though and should work with Metal.

So I'm guessing for my Mac Pro 5,1...which has a Radeon GPU(HD5770 i think) in it, I will need to buy a Nvidia GPU Card which can drive 2 displays using either display port or HDMI.

AppleFan21

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2018
It's too bad that my mid-2010 iMac—which still runs as well as the day I got it—will not be able to run Mojave. Fair, though; the thing is nearly eight years old.

For those whose devices will not run Mojave: do not fret; this is not the "end of the road" for your computers! Indeed, so long as Apple continues to support High Sierra (likely for two more years) your device ought not to be considered obsolete.

EDIT: and yes, while my iMac was indeed ~$2,500 back in 2010, the reality is that I have had no problems with it in eight years. Absolutely none. That to me is worth the Apple price premium. I'll gladly buy another iMac a couple years down the line.

Same. I think that these iMacs should still be supported as there, in my opinion, no reason why Apple should restrict this to METAL supported Macs. As I program apps with Xcode and my Mac is considerably now dead and can no longer program apps (as Xcode needs the latest version of macOS).

dutchyonabike

macrumors member
May 17, 2012
It’s fair to end suppport for my 8 year old Air. But why the hell not provide a fair replacement device?

I surely won’t spend more than a 1000€ for a 10 year old design a second time again. Also, the current MacBook with a 480p(!) FT camera and the butterfly keyboard are a rather ridiculous option if you consider the price point. For me the Back to the Mac campaign was a promise that Tim Cook actually never delivered.
They are still supporting the 2010 MacPro which shows it is possible to support older machines. And the reason for supporting the 2010 MacPro is because they know there is NO alternative. Mark

MeTlowe

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Damn. End of the road for my 2011 iMac then. Then again, I can't even install High Sierra because the hard drive died and it won't allow me to install it on an external SSD (something about "invalid firmware" which can't be updated).

I also have a 2011 MacBook Air which would have made a great machine to install the beta on. Sigh.

I am running HighSierra on an SSD via a thunderbolt enclosure on my mid-2011 imac. Works great.

katman999

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018

Apple this morning introduced macOS 10.14 Mojave, the newest version of the operating system designed to run on the Mac.

macOS Mojave is a major update that introduces a range of new features like a Dark Mode, Desktop and Finder improvements, new apps, and a revamped Mac App Store, but unfortunately, the update drops support for a number of machines.

macosmojaveimac-800x668.jpg

While macOS High Sierra was available for some machines manufactured as early as 2009, macOS Mojave is largely limited to 2012 or newer machines, with the exception of some Mac Pro models. Here's a full list:

[*]MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
[*]MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or newer)
[*]MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
[*]Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
[*]iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
[*]iMac Pro (2017)
[*]Mac Pro (Late 2013, plus mid 2010 and mid 2012 models with recommended Metal-capable GPU)

As you can see, compared to High Sierra, the update drops support for the older plastic MacBooks, and MacBook Pro, Air, mini, and iMac models from 2009, 2010, and 2011.

These older machines will not have access to the macOS Mojave features, and will continue to run macOS High Sierra.

Developers can download macOS Mojave starting today, and the update should be available for public beta testers later this summer.

Article Link: macOS 10.14 Mojave Drops Support for Many Older Machines
[doublepost=1537911948][/doublepost]Is this a joke? fu apple

Chunk Noris

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2018

Apple this morning introduced macOS 10.14 Mojave, the newest version of the operating system designed to run on the Mac.

macOS Mojave is a major update that introduces a range of new features like a Dark Mode, Desktop and Finder improvements, new apps, and a revamped Mac App Store, but unfortunately, the update drops support for a number of machines.

While macOS High Sierra was available for some machines manufactured as early as 2009, macOS Mojave is largely limited to 2012 or newer machines, with the exception of some Mac Pro models. Here's a full list:

[*]iMac Pro (2017)
[*]Mac Pro (Late 2013, plus mid 2010 and mid 2012 models with recommended Metal-capable GPU)

As you can see, compared to High Sierra, the update drops support for the older plastic MacBooks, and MacBook Pro, Air, mini, and iMac models from 2009, 2010, and 2011.

These older machines will not have access to the macOS Mojave features, and will continue to run macOS High Sierra.

Developers can download macOS Mojave starting today, and the update should be available for public beta testers later this summer.

[doublepost=1537985785][/doublepost]

[*]iMac Pro (2017)

[*]iMac Pro (2017)

What upsets me is last year my iMac late 2009 was the oldest on the list for High Sierra so i knew it would be left behind this year but i expected another year with my 2010 and at least 2 with my 2011 but now they are changing the order and just leaping forward as many years as they wish.

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
[doublepost=1537985785][/doublepost]

What upsets me is last year my iMac late 2009 was the oldest on the list for High Sierra so i knew it would be left behind this year but i expected another year with my 2010 and at least 2 with my 2011 but now they are changing the order and just leaping forward as many years as they wish.

They're not "just leaping forward as many years as they wish", but supporting the devices that make sense to them and seem justified.

They're not "changing the order". They didn't drop any old Mac with High Sierra, that's where your misconception might have happened. It supported the same range of devices as Sierra did. Sierra however dropped Macs from 2007 to 2009, whereas El Capitan, Yosemite and Mavericks before dropped not a single one compared to Mountain Lion.

So what "order" or pattern are you talking about? There isn't one.

2012 Macs might very well be supported by several macOS releases to come. We can't know.
[doublepost=1538061741][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1537911948][/doublepost]Is this a joke? fu apple
Seriously?

Jaime100

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
Embarrasing, a nice way to invite people to invest again in Apple buying another computer if they still want to use their updated products.

When I buy apple products, my main driver is that they last a lot more than pcs, then for me spending 2000 Usd in a computer rather than 600 usd makes a lot of sense. But now after 6 years, your computer does not take new versions of software, the hardware replacements isnt available anymore, then makes no sense to spend 3 times the cost of a regular pc, when regular ones last easily 3/4 years with no problems.

Sad but Im jumping out and back to Pcs where there is a market with more competition between brands and the companies are not squeezing their users and fans with the most embarrasing tecniques... :D

On the other hand, the dark mode, its a great way to advertise when they have nothing new, This was possible with any pc back in 2005 by switching the settings..

Cheers!

An angry Macbook Pro user and ex-apple fan.. :D

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Embarrasing, a nice way to invite people to invest again in Apple buying another computer if they still want to use their updated products.

When I buy apple products, my main driver is that they last a lot more than pcs, then for me spending 2000 Usd in a computer rather than 600 usd makes a lot of sense. But now after 6 years, your computer does not take new versions of software, the hardware replacements isnt available anymore, then makes no sense to spend 3 times the cost of a regular pc, when regular ones last easily 3/4 years with no problems.

Sad but Im jumping out and back to Pcs where there is a market with more competition between brands and the companies are not squeezing their users and fans with the most embarrasing tecniques... :D

On the other hand, the dark mode, its a great way to advertise when they have nothing new, This was possible with any pc back in 2005 by switching the settings..

Cheers!

An angry Macbook Pro user and ex-apple fan.. :D

I honestly don't get the complaining. Mojave doesn't drop any Mac younger than 7 years... And those will continue to work as before with High Sierra and even get further security patches and Safari updates for another 2 years. That's 9 years software support total. And even then, they don't suddenly become unusable or something.

This isn't anything new or surprising, not at all:
While High Sierra didn't drop any model, Sierra dropped Macs between 7 and 9 years old.
El Capitan, Yosemite and Mavericks didn't drop any,
Mountain Lion before that dropped Macs between just 4 and 6 years old!
Lion dropped Macs about 5 years old.
Snow Leopard dropped PowerPC support and thus Macs between 4 and 7 years old.
Leopard dropped Macs between 4 and 8 years old.
Tiger dropped Macs between 5 and 7 years old.
Panther dropped just few Macs which were 5 to 6 years old.
Oh, and the poor very first PowerBook G3 was dropped after less than 4 years and didn't even make it to OS X...

Despite what people like to think, Apple never does things just to f*ck with the customer.

And by the way, are you seriously suggesting a 600 $ PC could be equivalent to a 2000 $ Mac? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I honestly don't get the complaining. Mojave doesn't drop any Mac younger than 7 years... And those will continue to work as before with High Sierra and even get further security patches and Safari updates for another 2 years. That's 9 years software support total. And even then, they don't suddenly become unusable or something.

It would be more OK if Apple really supported their older versions. They do release security updates for 2 years, but those are not guaranteed to fix all known vulnerabilities patched to the latest version. It's not too long ago when Apple decided that the rootpipe vulnerability would be too much work to fix to older versions, so only the then-current version got updated and those stuck on older versions for whatever reason were given a massive middle finger by Apple.

So if you want to be sure that you'll get known vulnerabilities patched, you need to be running the latest macOS.

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
It would be more OK if Apple really supported their older versions. They do release security updates for 2 years, but those are not guaranteed to fix all known vulnerabilities patched to the latest version. It's not too long ago when Apple decided that the rootpipe vulnerability would be too much work to fix to older versions, so only the then-current version got updated and those stuck on older versions for whatever reason were given a massive middle finger by Apple.

So if you want to be sure that you'll get known vulnerabilities patched, you need to be running the latest macOS.

Do you have any other examples of a vulnerability being patched only for the latest major version?

Because with rootpipe, it really didn't matter that much since there are no Macs stuck at Mountain Lion. Anybody could just update to Mavericks, Yosemite or even El Capitan to get it fixed. That might have been the reason for Apple to not bother fixing it in Mountain Lion, who knows how hard that would have been to do.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I honestly don't get the complaining. Mojave doesn't drop any Mac younger than 7 years...
You think a Mac with a quad-core i7, 16 GB RAM, and 512 SSD should be considered obsolete because it has "Late 2011" in the name, regardless of how capable it is?
And those will continue to work as before with High Sierra and even get further security patches and Safari updates for another 2 years. That's 9 years software support total. And even then, they don't suddenly become unusable or something.
Apple Configurator already requires Mojave. I give Xcode another six months of High Sierra support at the most, and iWork / iLife another year of support at the most. Current versions of all these Apple apps will not run on Sierra, and would not run on El Capitan a year ago either.

That's not to say you can't remain productive on older versions of apps. But being forced to run older versions of apps is not ideal, and you get situations like the older Xcode refusing to build and run a project on your iOS device running the latest release of iOS, complaining that it needs an update which you cannot install on an OS that is still supported with security updates.
This isn't anything new or surprising, not at all:
While High Sierra didn't drop any model, Sierra dropped Macs between 7 and 9 years old.
El Capitan, Yosemite and Mavericks didn't drop any,
Mountain Lion before that dropped Macs between just 4 and 6 years old!
Lion dropped Macs about 5 years old.
Snow Leopard dropped PowerPC support and thus Macs between 4 and 7 years old.
Leopard dropped Macs between 4 and 8 years old.
Tiger dropped Macs between 5 and 7 years old.
Panther dropped just few Macs which were 5 to 6 years old.
Oh, and the poor very first PowerBook G3 was dropped after less than 4 years and didn't even make it to OS X...
If you want to argue that Apple has a history of prematurely dropping support of capable hardware, I agree. My upgraded 2006 Mac Pro was running El Capitan comfortably, yet it hadn't been supported officially since prior to Mountain Lion in 2012.

Reactions: Roadstar

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
You think a Mac with a quad-core i7, 16 GB RAM, and 512 SSD should be considered obsolete because it has "Late 2011" in the name, regardless of how capable it is?

Not regardless how capable it is. It's not Metal-capable, simple as that.
Equip a 2010 Mac Pro with a Metal-capable GPU and it's supported, officially, boom!
Since with other Macs such an upgrade isn't possible, they're unsupported.

Apple Configurator already requires Mojave. I give Xcode another six months of High Sierra support at the most, and iWork / iLife another year of support at the most. Current versions of all these Apple apps will not run on Sierra, and would not run on El Capitan a year ago either.

That's not to say you can't remain productive on older versions of apps. But being forced to run older versions of apps is not ideal, and you get situations like the older Xcode refusing to build and run a project on your iOS device running the latest release of iOS, complaining that it needs an update which you cannot install on an OS that is still supported with security updates.
Exactly, most people can remain productive with older versions of software, also most third party programs will still support an older macOS for some time.
If you're not one of those people, e.g. because you need the latest Xcode version, that's bad for you of course but perhaps after 7 to 8 years it might just be time for a new Mac, especially if you're doing productive work on it..

If you want to argue that Apple has a history of prematurely dropping support of capable hardware, I agree. My upgraded 2006 Mac Pro was running El Capitan comfortably, yet it hadn't been supported officially since prior to Mountain Lion in 2012.
Yet people are acting as if dropping a Mac after 7 years was such a shocking, unexpected, totally new thing. Few Macs have been supported longer, and that has been in recent years only. As I said earlier, I've got a feeling that most 2012 Macs will fare very well in that regard, possibly even longer than 9 years for some models.
As for the original Mac Pro (2006), they for sure have tested Mountain Lion on that machine and decided to not officially support it. Maybe they've deemed things unacceptable that you weren't bugged by, or they've encountered issues that you didn't run into with your use case. It's not always about raw power, for example all 2007 iMac and MacBook Pro models were still supported by Mountain Lion (and up to El Capitan) while the much more powerful 2007 8-core Mac Pro, just like your 2006 model, wasn't.

Don't you think they try to support devices as long as they deem reasonably possible? Having people upset is certainly not what they want..

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Not regardless how capable it is. It's not Metal-capable, simple as that.
Equip a 2010 Mac Pro with a Metal-capable GPU and it's supported, officially, boom!
Since with other Macs such an upgrade isn't possible, they're unsupported.
To support pre-Metal Macs would've taken little effort, as Mojave still contains an OpenGL renderer, and will even run with full acceleration on some unsupported pre-Metal Macs. See the macOS 10.14 Mojave on Unsupported Macs Thread.

I suspect 10.15 will drop the OpenGL renderer, but giving these Macs just one more year of support would've been a big deal. Dark mode and Homekit app are features that Mac users have been anticipating since 2014.
Yet people are acting as if dropping a Mac after 7 years was such a shocking, unexpected, totally new thing. Few Macs have been supported longer, and that has been in recent years only. As I said earlier, I've got a feeling that most 2012 Macs will fare very well in that regard, possibly even longer than 9 years for some models.
As for the original Mac Pro (2006), they for sure have tested Mountain Lion on that machine and decided to not officially support it. Maybe they've deemed things unacceptable that you weren't bugged by, or they've encountered issues that you didn't run into with your use case. It's not always about raw power, for example all 2007 iMac and MacBook Pro models were still supported by Mountain Lion (and up to El Capitan) while the much more powerful 2007 8-core Mac Pro, just like your 2006 model, wasn't.
Someone inside Apple found an obscure bug while testing an alpha version of Mountain Lion on the '06 Mac Pro and just decided "screw this, were done with 32-bit EFI". Also, people outside Apple have found functional workarounds that a multi-billion-dollar company with full access to the source code somehow can't afford to support. Got it...
Don't you think they try to support devices as long as they deem reasonably possible? Having people upset is certainly not what they want..
Here's where things get interesting, as with iOS Apple has taken the correct strategy of leading the industry when it comes to older device support.

The decision was made to support the iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 in iOS 12. The reasons for this can be guessed:
  • What Apple does with iOS tends to generate a large amount of publicity, and the iOS updates slowing down older devices was generating a publicity problem that needed to be addressed.
  • A major selling point of iPhones over Android gets strengthened, especially as upgrade cycles are getting longer and older hardware more capable.
  • A response to Samsung's ad attacking iOS 11 performance on the older iPhone 6.

None of these reasons apply to MacOS, which generates a comparatively small amount of publicity. So, Apple's decision to drop the 2011 Macs in Mojave easily gets overshadowed by the opposite strategy taken in iOS 12. It's a cold, corporate calculation, not done in the best interest of the consumer.

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
To support pre-Metal Macs would've taken little effort, as Mojave still contains an OpenGL renderer, and will even run with full acceleration on some unsupported pre-Metal Macs. See the macOS 10.14 Mojave on Unsupported Macs Thread.

I suspect 10.15 will drop the OpenGL renderer, but giving these Macs just one more year of support would've been a big deal. Dark mode and Homekit app are features that Mac users have been anticipating since 2014.

Someone inside Apple found an obscure bug while testing an alpha version of Mountain Lion on the '06 Mac Pro and just decided "screw this, were done with 32-bit EFI". Also, people outside Apple have found functional workarounds that a multi-billion-dollar company with full access to the source code somehow can't afford to support. Got it...
After all, none of us are inside Apple, none of us know the teams working on this.
Here's where things get interesting, as with iOS Apple has taken the correct strategy of leading the industry when it comes to older device support.

The decision was made to support the iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 in iOS 12. The reasons for this can be guessed:
  • What Apple does with iOS tends to generate a large amount of publicity, and the iOS updates slowing down older devices was generating a publicity problem that needed to be addressed.
  • A major selling point of iPhones over Android gets strengthened, especially as upgrade cycles are getting longer and older hardware more capable.
  • A response to Samsung's ad attacking iOS 11 performance on the older iPhone 6.

None of these reasons apply to MacOS, which generates a comparatively small amount of publicity. So, Apple's decision to drop the 2011 Macs in Mojave easily gets overshadowed by the opposite strategy taken in iOS 12. It's a cold, corporate calculation, not done in the best interest of the consumer.
I doubt the reason behind iOS 12 supporting the 5s is publicity. It's just that increased performance is a key feature of iOS 12. When the iPhone 4s with iOS 9 became the first model to get 5 major releases, there wasn't much fuzz about that. And neither was there about the 3GS getting iOS 6 as its 4th major release.

As for macOS, with Mountain Lion through El Capitan, 4 major releases in a row supported all the same machines. Without much publicity. I can't imagine that didn't take any effort...

But, as I said, we're not inside Apple. It doesn't get better than educated guesses.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Well at least 10.13 seems to be able to get message in iCloud, that is pretty much the only feature that I was looking forward to

Marc Evans

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2018
USA
I've been working in Mojave for a few weeks now, and in all likelihood, will revert to High Sierra. I'm pretty good at adapting new change, but not when I see no value in it. The App Store is hideous, and I see no value in all the "dark mode" hype. I am a big fan of the integrated approach, but I end up turning off SIP and ripping out a good number of the bloatware they throw at us and insist we install. Sometimes, its because it's simply not needed (e.g. Chess) and other times, it's because there are apps out there that do it substantively better than Apple does (LastPass and Outlook are good examples, and I really despise most things MSFT).

The "grand vision" has gotten blurry, and the sooner Apple understands that a phone is not a tablet, a tablet is not a laptop and a laptop is not a desktop, the sooner they might quit trying to make me do things the same way on different platforms that actually work AGAINST the UX we're all trying to improve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.