macOS 10.14 Mojave Drops Support for Many Older Machines

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 4, 2018.

1. MisterAndrew macrumors 65816

MisterAndrew

Probably 2021 or 2022.

2. MrUNIMOG macrumors 6502

MrUNIMOG

Hard to predict. Anything between 2021 and 2024 seems feasible, given Apples track record of supporting old Macs with the latest macOS / OS X versions. Two years more respectively for security patches and Safari updates.

3. coolkid93 macrumors member

coolkid93

4. Prime Mover macrumors newbie

Very strange that they dropped the MacBook Pro 2011 but not 12 or 13... those are all VIRTUALLY the same machine with minor spec bumps. I have an early 2011, but I'm not too bothered, I haven't upgraded it since El Cap anyway, and I only use it for live music performance (professional keyboardist here), so I keep it pretty set in stone. I'll probably upgrade soon anyway, once they go CannonLake and 32GB. Only reason I've been holding out is I need more RAM for live audio, MainStage is a hog.

5. MrUNIMOG macrumors 6502

MrUNIMOG

No. They're absolutely not. Are you serious?

6. MisterAndrew macrumors 65816

MisterAndrew

They dropped the 2011 MacBook Pro because the Intel HD Graphics 3000 does not support Metal.

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I mean, if the main thing keeping you is 32GB of RAM, might as well upgrade to one of the Coffee Lake MBPs now. Even if Cannon Lake ships in the first half of 2019, we likely won’t see MBP updates for another year, since Apple seems to be on a roughly annual schedule (and, crucially, needs all SKUs’ chips to be shipping in volume, since they don’t like doing piecemeal updates to the line). But if you are willing to wait another year and change for Cannon Lake, by all means.

8. Opes_Photography macrumors newbie

Opes_Photography

The 'problem' is Apple makes hardware that lasts!
    I have a MBP 2011, that can still run circles around other laptops I've used. I've upgraded the HD with an SSD and maxed out the RAM - and this MBP is rock solid! It was well worth the investment!

I'm saddened to hear Apple is going to let my MBP 'age off' the support list, but I understand why they have to do it. I'll continue to use my MBP, and will probably migrate to Fedora (Linux) shortly.

Sorry Apple - you are about to lose a very loyal advocate for your hardware / software.

9. star-affinity, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018

star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

But as long as you get a newer GPU which has drivers for Windows 10, it actually runs pretty well even on a MacPro1,1 (the first Mac Pro from 2006). I just tried it. The latest supported OS from Apple for this (their own computer) is… OS X 10.7 Lion from 2011. o_O

Feels a bit ironic that Windows 10 is working so well on a Mac which Apple has left in the dust so long ago. I have to give that to Microsoft: it's impressive that Windows 10 can work so (relatively?) well on so many different kinds of hardware.

Edit:
    Changed the incorrect 10.5 Lion to the correct 10.7 Lion.

10. Roadstar macrumors 65816

Roadstar

I think nowadays we should use the past tense of makes. They identified the problem you depicted there and made basic upgrades/fixes impossible or unnecessarily hard. I guess your 2011 MBP would've been replaced quite a while ago if you had been stuck with the configuration you bought it with.

11. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

I think the problem there is the graphics card which unfortunately doesn't support Metal. But at the same time a Metal capable GPU in the Mac Pro's from 2010 and 2012 are only ”recommended”? Hmm…

I also had a 15" MBP from 2011 at work, upgraded with an SSD – nice machine indeed.

12. MrUNIMOG macrumors 6502

MrUNIMOG

Are they really only "recommended"? What I saw listed in the Mojave system requirements was "2010 or later Mac Pro with a Metal capable graphics card", so I don't think it will just run without that.

13. Segev macrumors newbie

Segev

For me Xcode is the main issue here. Apple usually ties Xcode minimum version to a recent macOS version which makes the mac outdated for developers. For example, Xcode 9.4.1 minimum version: 10.13.2

14. vasim macrumors member

vasim

although the latest version is not needed to upload apps to App Store...

15. Segev macrumors newbie

Segev

True. But on some cases apple decides that starting the date xx.xx your app must support that thing or the other and in order to do so you need the latest and greatest. iPhone X support is a good example for that.

16. iTurbo macrumors regular

I have two Macs that I bought in late 2012. It looks like my iMac (late 2012, '13,2') will be fine for Mojave, but I'm not sure about my 11" MacBookAir. It doesn't say "late 2012" or anything like that in the Apple System Profiler, but it is a '6,1' machine. Will it work with Mojave?

17. Roadstar macrumors 65816

Roadstar

Are you sure it was 2012 and not later? For after all, MacTracker lists MacBookAir6,1 as the model identifier for a mid 2013 11". If it's that model, it's good for Mojave.

18. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Sounds resonable. But the article this thread is about says ”recommendeded”. Could be wrong, of course.

• Mac Pro (Late 2013, plus mid 2010 and mid 2012 models with recommended Metal-capable GPU)

19. iTurbo macrumors regular

Yeah, I forgot exactly when I bought it, but it is 6,1. I know I picked it up after my iMac as my portable, so thankfully it's a little newer than I thought. I built to order the machine with 8GB ram, so that oughta help. Thanks.

20. gmm421 macrumors newbie

I used the videos and hardware bought from Other World Computing to upgrade the internal disk drive to an SSD in my 2011 iMac. Before that, I used and external LaCie thunderbolt drive as the boot drive without any problem. You still have a few years left in that machine. Apple will likely continue to have security updates for High Sierra.

21. vasim macrumors member

vasim

I think that 2 yrs is the maximum of security updates. So it is ok.

22. MrUNIMOG macrumors 6502

MrUNIMOG

I read that as "Metal-capable GPU required, and there's a list of such GPUs that Apple recommends"

23. Macyourdayy macrumors 6502

Macyourdayy

10.5? At a major production house, these were set up as FCP Studio systems in 2007 and when I left in 2014, they were still running 10.6.8 with a massive X Serve setup. The system probably went back to Avid on windows early 2015 (summer production break here) due to Apple's neglect of the pro media world and the not so pro fcpX.

24. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Sorry, I meant 10.7 Lion. I've corrected it now.

25. Frantisekj macrumors member

Frantisekj

I can not go through all comment so sorry when I double someone but I am running Mojave happily on my old early 2008 MacBook Pro as I already upgraded wifi card to run High Sierra on it for 10 USD. I could upgrade it with even newer to have Continutity support but not sure 50 bucks is worth of it.
    See Mojave patcher.

There can be some issues like some graphical issues in normal more but not in Dark mode.
    I noticed only problem iMovie not showing preview of effects, subtitles until I hower over them with cursor until now.

And I have issued many beta feedback posts to Apple. They must be very glad to get it from that old iron! lol